Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire on rim help
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to put Contenental Grandprix 4season 23mm tires on my flow disk and 90 clincher and for the life of me I can't get the tire on the rim. I've tried soap, squeezing the tire as tightly as I can in the channel, even used a blow drier to heat it up. Managed to barely get the tire on the disk, but so far no luck with the 90 and managed to break both of my plastic leavers in the process. I'm riding the disk in mortal dread of a flat. I'm fine changing a tire (done it many times), but if I can't manage to get the tire on at home with soap, hair drier, and plenty of time to hurl expletives, I'm screwed in a race. Even on the open road--I'm stuck.

Not sure if it's the Continentals or I'm just an idiot. Anyone have a suggestion for a decent tire that I can actually get on the rim. Also open to any suggestions for getting a tight tire on minus what I've mentioned above. Thanks.
Last edited by: Ruthven: May 30, 19 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Tire on rim help [Ruthven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will need the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. Plastic tire levers ain't gonna do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the thinnest rim tape. I have used one strip gorilla tape on hard to mount tires
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ruthven wrote:
I'm trying to put Contenental Grandprix 4season 23mm tires on my flow disk and 90 clincher and for the life of me I can't get the tire on the rim. I've tried soap, squeezing the tire as tightly as I can in the channel, even used a blow drier to heat it up. Managed to barely get the tire on the disk, but so far no luck with the 90 and managed to break both of my plastic leavers in the process. I'm riding the disk in mortal dread of a flat. I'm fine changing a tire (done it many times), but if I can't manage to get the tire on at home with soap, hair drier, and plenty of time to hurl expletives, I'm screwed in a race. Even on the open road--I'm stuck.

Not sure if it's the Continentals or I'm just an idiot. Anyone have a suggestion for a decent tire that I can actually get on the rim. Also open to any suggestions for getting a tight tire on minus what I've mentioned above. Thanks.

Why do you want to put slow tyres on fast wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire on rim help [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Ruthven wrote:

Why do you want to put slow tyres on fast wheels?

^^^This. Why would you put 4 season tires on a disc wheel for racing? Get some Conti 5000s. They seem easier to mount on Enve 7.8s than 4000s were.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire on rim help [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will give the 5000's a go.
Last edited by: Ruthven: May 31, 19 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In order of effectiveness:

-Thin rim strip (ex. Stan's tape).

-Prestretch the tire on another wheel or old rim.

-Tire in the dryer trick.

-Temperature differential (room temp tire on rim from cold garage)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply