Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Training & Group Bike Rides
Quote | Reply
I love going to my twice weekly group bike rides. I also want to specifically tri train in order to meet my goals. Is there a good way to tri train while in group rides?

When its my turn to pull, I'll get down in the aero bars and pull longer than normal. I'm also more likely to ride off the front or back of the group so that I'm not drafting too much. Doing those things is better than doing nothing, but I feel like its not the same as doing a solo tri focused ride.

Do any of you deal with this dilemma as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training & Group Bike Rides [aspencer80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change your approach to how you view group rides. You don’t need to think of ways to “tri” train during the ride. Simply use the group ride for whatever purpose is the ride. Maybe it’s an easier recovery spin or maybe it’s an faster than normal paced ride that you hold on for dear life etc.

I find riding a tri bike on a ride where your only able to ride in aero at front or off back a real waste. Either ride the group ride in a normal way or just ride off the back and never get in Paceline.

Group rides can be great for training if you actually identify what you want from it and accomplish. If your trying to do some “workout” or get aero experience just go do your own thing because rarely are group rides allowing you to sit in on aerobars while in paceline (safety issue).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 30, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had to quit riding with the group to get good at triathlon. My biggest problem was they like to stop a lot and yap and I didn't have time for that since I'm training for two other sports as well.

You may like group rides, but you might also fall in love with long solo rides. I like them for the time to be alone and think. You can still ride with other people, just find out where they are going and meet up with them there. You go your pace, they go theirs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're doing a group ride, do the group ride. Don't disrupt it by trying to do your own thing, unless it's a group of friends and you've all agreed it's alright. You'll just get on people's nerves.

I don't do group rides on the tri bike, nor should you unless it's advertised as such (and should be organised a bit differently to keep it safe). A group ride of the right standard for you will give you a good training session by doing it the same as everyone else. You don't need to be on the aero bars and you don't need to be on the front or off the back. Use separate solo rides for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training & Group Bike Rides [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little of this. I rode with them regularly (and still do in another city). It was great training, but the mid-ride coffee stops killed my training time, so I skipped the stop and continued on solo or with a couple of others. That said, now that I'm older and live elsewhere, I wish like hell I would have stopped more since I don't see those guys anymore.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to find a "group" of like minded folks training for triathlon. I trained with a super group that had the philosophy "ride hard, chit chit after the ride". We could get 80 miles completed in 4 hours or less. Other groups take all day to get that many miles in because of all the breaks and chatting they like to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good responses.
Since I'm good friends with my twice weekly group and I want to hang out with them, maybe I'll just let it be what it is. A good opportunity to get basic seat time while hanging out with friends. (I will add that I don't ever ride a tri bike on group rides [as I don't own one yet]. The aero bars I referenced are new addition bolt on's to my road bike.)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training & Group Bike Rides [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:
You need to find a "group" of like minded folks training for triathlon. I trained with a super group that had the philosophy "ride hard, chit chit after the ride". We could get 80 miles completed in 4 hours or less. Other groups take all day to get that many miles in because of all the breaks and chatting they like to do.

Totally agree. Myself and a teammate had a chat with our team this spring, and it was interesting how many others had the same thoughts.

If they want to stop for coffee half way, and you still want to ride with them, I would ride with them out and head back solo.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training & Group Bike Rides [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Yeah, I had to quit riding with the group to get good at triathlon. My biggest problem was they like to stop a lot and yap and I didn't have time for that since I'm training for two other sports as well.

You may like group rides, but you might also fall in love with long solo rides. I like them for the time to be alone and think. You can still ride with other people, just find out where they are going and meet up with them there. You go your pace, they go theirs.

Not all group rides are alike. Some are "chatty-cathy" like with a lot of stops but some are get up and go with actual road bike racers in the mix.

To the OP,

I race Tri's but belong to a cycling race team, occasionally do road races but try to hit every Time Trial as those are fun :)

Do group rides where you must work. Surges up hills, taking pulls, taking curves at higher speeds than you do in Tri's. This will all help you be a better rider overall, including triathlon. I have been able to avoid crashing in triathlon because of skills gained in group rides.

Leave the aerobars at home if you can. If you only have one bike, then care must be taken when in close proximity to other riders. Some groups are flexible, some are not in terms of "allowing" riders with aerobars.

In terms of triathlon riding, yes you should have time on the TT bike as well. Longer rides at a lower intensity of course but also some interval type work as well.

Do what gets you on the bike and gets you a quality workout. This means that some group rides may not fit the bill.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training & Group Bike Rides [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Not all group rides are alike. Some are "chatty-cathy" like with a lot of stops but some are get up and go with actual road bike racers in the mix.

To the OP,

I race Tri's but belong to a cycling race team, occasionally do road races but try to hit every Time Trial as those are fun :)

Do group rides where you must work. Surges up hills, taking pulls, taking curves at higher speeds than you do in Tri's. This will all help you be a better rider overall, including triathlon. I have been able to avoid crashing in triathlon because of skills gained in group rides.

Leave the aerobars at home if you can. If you only have one bike, then care must be taken when in close proximity to other riders. Some groups are flexible, some are not in terms of "allowing" riders with aerobars.

In terms of triathlon riding, yes you should have time on the TT bike as well. Longer rides at a lower intensity of course but also some interval type work as well.

Do what gets you on the bike and gets you a quality workout. This means that some group rides may not fit the bill.

100% echo this. The biggest boost to my cycling has come from doing most of my cycling training during the race season with legitimate Cat 1 and 2 bike racers. Unless you do draft legal short course, you're going to be in for a surprise when you ride in a race-oriented group ride. You'll be able to hang in there fine during fast and steady paceline sections, but when someone attacks up a hill, you'll be spit out the back before you've even changed gear. I've found that I've seen massive gains in my FTP, peak power, bike handling, and ability to quickly recover from hard efforts from these type of group rides. It may seem different, but this type of training does translate effectively to riding fast in a triathlon bike leg. I can get free speed by riding harder uphill and into headwinds, and quickly recovering on the easier sections. There's gains to be had from good cornering technique, and if you're in a hilly tri, knowing when to super tuck and save energy on descents.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Training & Group Bike Rides [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other option is to ride with them as long as it "makes sense" and then cut off to a good solo course. This used to happen all the time in a group ride I used to take part in: 3/4s of the way through the ride, there was a great short and steep hill with a road that looped back kind of in parallel, so the roadies would keep going after the first time up, while the tri folks would loop back and do repeats on the hill.
Quote Reply