Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's interesting that you need an IQ of about 105 just to get into college...

No.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
We aren't arguing AOC is dumber than most politicians. We're arguing she's dumber than most people.

Okay, so you think that her IQ is below 100. Got it.

It's interesting that you need an IQ of about 105 just to get into college, and yet graduated near the top of her class. Or do you mean the other kind of dumb which means something other than "not intelligent?"

Words have meanings. Just trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

Words do have meanings. At BU, “cum laude” means she graduated in the top 30%. Not exactly “near the top of her class.”

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOU are obsessed with a freshman congressman

Actually. I think she's great. She goes a long way in raising donations for policy I support. Democrats have done a good job of hiding their crazy's. Now they can't.

You all have agreed that she's not actually stupid.
How you define stupid for her and yourself. She's not stupid. How the rest of the world define's it, she's stupid.

And the biggest criticism of how "stupid" AOC is is the proposal of expensive programs without an analysis of how to pay for them, yet the GOP actually PASSED a tax bill that did exactly the same thing.
Tax Revenue Collected by the Federal Government 2017 (Before the tax bill was enacted): $3.32 Trillion
Tax Revenue Collected by the Federal Government 2018 (After the tax bill was enacted): $3.33 Trillin
I know you went to a good school but that's an increase. See how you're Intelligent, but not Smart.
2019 Estimated $3.44 again an increase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
We aren't arguing AOC is dumber than most politicians. We're arguing she's dumber than most people.

It's interesting that you need an IQ of about 105 just to get into college, and yet graduated near the top of her class. Or do you mean the other kind of dumb which means something other than "not intelligent?"

According to BU:

Among graduating seniors in each school and college, thirty percent will receive Latin Honors. The top five percent will be awarded summa cum laude, the next 10 percent magna cum laude, and the next 15 percent cum laude.

https://www.bu.edu/...duation-with-honors/

So, all you know for certain is that she was not in the top 15% of her class and could have been as low as the top 30% of her class. So, if "near the top of her class" to you means, top 1/3 of her class, then you are correct.

In addition, at BU:

Students who, by virtue of a strong academic performance during their final semester, advance their GPAs beyond a break point will be awarded degrees with the correspondingly higher Latin honor. Students whose academic performance during the final semester causes their GPAs to fall below a break point will retain the Latin honors as originally determined after seven semesters.

This means that BU takes these honors so seriously that they will completely ignore the final semester if a student decides to just mail it in during that final semester. It also means that, theoretically, AOC did not even graduate in the top 30% of her class if she decided to mail it in during her last semester.

Sounds legit!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

Words do have meanings. At BU, “cum laude” means she graduated in the top 30%. Not exactly “near the top of her class.”

Well, we don't really know that. As I mentioned in an earlier post, according to BU:

Students who, by virtue of a strong academic performance during their final semester, advance their GPAs beyond a break point will be awarded degrees with the correspondingly higher Latin honor. Students whose academic performance during the final semester causes their GPAs to fall below a break point will retain the Latin honors as originally determined after seven semesters.

That means, at BU, you can completely mail it in during your final semester, tank all your grades, and still retain the same latin honor you held after 7 semesters. Now, of course, we don't know whether AOC mailed it in and, as a result, dropped out of the top 30%. But, based on this policy, we cannot say with certainty that she actually graduated in the top 30% once her final semester grades come in.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or she was in line for no honors at all and really cracked down that last semester and squeaked out a cum loudly.

But what do I know? I don’t even have a degree.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Or she was in line for no honors at all and really cracked down that last semester and squeaked out a cum loudly.

But what do I know? I don’t even have a degree.

It's OK. Star beats asteroid. You're still more accomplished
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

According to BU:

Among graduating seniors in each school and college, thirty percent will receive Latin Honors. The top five percent will be awarded summa cum laude, the next 10 percent magna cum laude, and the next 15 percent cum laude.

So, all you know for certain is that she was not in the top 15% of her class and could have been as low as the top 30% of her class. So, if "near the top of her class" to you means, top 1/3 of her class, then you are correct.

In addition, at BU:

This means that BU takes these honors so seriously that they will completely ignore the final semester if a student decides to just mail it in during that final semester. It also means that, theoretically, AOC did not even graduate in the top 30% of her class if she decided to mail it in during her last semester.

Sounds legit!

Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy, the revelations about BU must have pushed Barry over the edge. Has anyone heard from him? Is he ok?

- Barry-Certified Super Genius JSA (10+ AOCs on the Barry-Scale)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps with the latest barrage of Trump and Kushner threads he is busy tallying the Trump et al bashing posts and comparing to the AOC bashing posts
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and JSA need a hobby. This circle jerk you have going is just sad.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

True. But no where near as sad as your lack of any real contribution to this forum in forever.

And considering instructions for a circle jerk is your greatest contribution ever.....
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:

As to which, I also noted that those who have weighed in in support include a considerable number of non-partisan economists, not least 2 Nobel Laureates.

I found this by one of them (Paul Krugman, Princeton Uni, Nobel Prize 2008) in which he references another (Peter Diamond, M.I.T., Nobel Prize 2010):

I noted earlier that part of AOC's accomplishments has been promoting discussions (on tax & economic policy, & on environmental policy) that are sorely needed. She has drawn support from leading academics including Nobel Laureates. I cited 2, and now note a third: Joseph E Stiglitz (Columbia Uni, Nobel Prize 2001, former Chairman of Council of Economic Advisors, former Chief Economist World Bank). Here, among other places

Stating the bleedingly obvious, but when your cheer squad is led by the considered opinions of the world's acknowledged experts in economic policy, including 3 Nobel winners, and your critics are faceless internet trolls whose "criticism" doesn't rise above Trump's "young bartender" jibe, I'll go with "not stupid" and observe, yet again, that the interesting takeaway is the level of derangement she invokes in regressives.
Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

How do you know that isn't our hobby?

Quote Reply
Re: BarryPs Unhinged "What do you think AOC's IQ is?" Thread [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:

As to which, I also noted that those who have weighed in in support include a considerable number of non-partisan economists, not least 2 Nobel Laureates.

I found this by one of them (Paul Krugman, Princeton Uni, Nobel Prize 2008) in which he references another (Peter Diamond, M.I.T., Nobel Prize 2010):

I noted earlier that part of AOC's accomplishments has been promoting discussions (on tax & economic policy, & on environmental policy) that are sorely needed. She has drawn support from leading academics including Nobel Laureates. I cited 2, and now note a third: Joseph E Stiglitz (Columbia Uni, Nobel Prize 2001, former Chairman of Council of Economic Advisors, former Chief Economist World Bank). Here, among other places

Stating the bleedingly obvious, but when your cheer squad is led by the considered opinions of the world's acknowledged experts in economic policy, including 3 Nobel winners, and your critics are faceless internet trolls whose "criticism" doesn't rise above Trump's "young bartender" jibe, I'll go with "not stupid" and observe, yet again, that the interesting takeaway is the level of derangement she invokes in regressives.

Have you ever actually read economic literature from Krugman? And I don't mean the opinion pieces that he publishes on the NYT. Dude contradicts himself nearly everytime. You have to separate the pundit from the legit economist. His real work is actually consistent with most economist.
Quote Reply

Prev Next