Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are the contact patch of narrow and wide tires the same (with same weight and tire pressure)?
Quote | Reply
Hi, my basic physics is letting me down! Is the contact patch area exactly the same if you apply the same mass of rider and bike to two different tyres eg 23mm vs 32mm at the *same pressure* (assuming the same casing tension and tread etc). I realize you probably wont usually pump up both those tyres to the same pressure, but if you did and swapped the 32mm for the 23mm, is the contact patch area the same (even tho the shape may be slightly different)....or is this an over simplification? thank you AG.
Last edited by: AGomez: May 29, 19 2:32
Quote Reply
Re: Are the contact patch of narrow and wide tires the same (with same weight and tire pressure)? [AGomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - mostly

If the pressure is equal across the contact area, then load=pressure*area, so the area will be equal regardless of the tyre size.
In practice, however, pressure on the road will transition from zero at the very edge of the contact area, to the loaded tyre pressure towards the center of the contact patch. So the contact area may vary slightly due to shape and suppleness of the tyre but in general you are correct - Contact patch area is primarily a function of load and tyre pressure, not tyre size.
Quote Reply
Re: Are the contact patch of narrow and wide tires the same (with same weight and tire pressure)? [AGomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the area is generally the same. In simplest terms, pressure is pounds per square inch. So, if the pressure is the same, then the square inches must also be the same for the tire to exert the same pounds of force against the road.

And as you note, the shape of the contact patch would be different. A narrow tire would have a longer and skinnier contact patch, while a wider tire might have a rounder shaped contact patch.
Quote Reply
Re: Are the contact patch of narrow and wide tires the same (with same weight and tire pressure)? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you all confusing pressure internally in the tube and tyre with pressure (Force/Area) on the ground contact patch.

These are surely different, (although correlated)
Quote Reply
Re: Are the contact patch of narrow and wide tires the same (with same weight and tire pressure)? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
Are you all confusing pressure internally in the tube and tyre with pressure (Force/Area) on the ground contact patch.
For the purpose of my illustration, no. I led with the phrase "in simplest terms."
Quote Reply
Re: Are the contact patch of narrow and wide tires the same (with same weight and tire pressure)? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:

These are surely different, (although correlated)
As per my earlier post, they are the same except for the impact of tyre deformation forces on the uniformity of the pressure.

You could test this yourself with a latex party balloon if you were to stick a pressure gauge in the neck of it and balance a flat bottomed object of known weight on top. You'd find the area of the balloon flattened against the bottom of the object multiplied by the gauge pressure in the balloon would give you the weight of the object.

Pressure is a measure of force per unit area. The only way the above is not true is if something is interfering with the uniformity of the pressure exerted across the contact area. That can surely only be the balloon (or tyre) material.
Quote Reply
Re: Are the contact patch of narrow and wide tires the same (with same weight and tire pressure)? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you so much everyone.......a cheeky follow up....anyone any idea how much tyre pressure goes up when the rider (eg 70kg) sits on the bike (tire-wiz users maybe would know??)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AGomez wrote:
Hi, my basic physics is letting me down! Is the contact patch area exactly the same if you apply the same mass of rider and bike to two different tyres eg 23mm vs 32mm at the *same pressure* (assuming the same casing tension and tread etc). I realize you probably wont usually pump up both those tyres to the same pressure, but if you did and swapped the 32mm for the 23mm, is the contact patch area the same (even tho the shape may be slightly different)....or is this an over simplification? thank you AG.

Hi,

For once I can answer something on here.

I work in this industry, in R&D.

The answer is no - a lot depends on the construction of the tire, which can vary greatly depending on what kind of footprint is needed for what kind of performance.

You can have a really strong tire that deflects very little under x psi pressure, or a very weak one that deflects much more under the same x psi.

Having said that, there are fewer differences in cycling tires as for car or truck.

HTH
Quote Reply