Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever Courtney had figured out didn't quite workout this weekend in Vallnord. For some riders a top ten finish is the highlight of their career but this seems off from the results Kate has been getting this season.

Uneducated opinions on this? I'm speculating something about the pacing needed for this particular course. It didn't seem to help to be in the front at the beginning but it looked like a hell of a lot of work. Maybe some courses favor an early break and this one didn't. The big lead Avancini had at the beginning didn't pan out either.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
Whatever Courtney had figured out didn't quite workout this weekend in Vallnord. For some riders a top ten finish is the highlight of their career but this seems off from the results Kate has been getting this season.

Uneducated opinions on this? I'm speculating something about the pacing needed for this particular course. It didn't seem to help to be in the front at the beginning but it looked like a hell of a lot of work. Maybe some courses favor an early break and this one didn't. The big lead Avancini had at the beginning didn't pan out either.
Yeah, she hit a wall. I'm guessing it was mostly the altitude. She chose to stay and race in the US last weekend, so she had little acclimation. Maybe even some jet lag affecting her sleep through the week. We'll see this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, isn’t this the best racing?! Finally the Men’s races have stepped up to the excitement of the Women’s. In 2018 it was all about the women in terms of exciting racing. I thought this weekend was awesome. I think KC raced awesome based on the past couple weeks of travel, etc., and I am bullish that this may be part of her plan - race fast early with the rainbow and get a lead in the points then build back up for the back part of the year. I am hoping she gets it this weekend.

One surprise for me was Emily Batty. She really was down in the results, very unlike her. However, I know she was training hard over the time off so she may be trying to get on the back end as well. I am really pulling for her to win a WC race this year.

My favorite was when, I think, Flueckiger was trying to hold off Schurter but needed a drink and put the bottle in his mouth and was bombing the downhill holding the spout by his teeth!



I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well whatever it was Courtney seems to have worked it out. She just killed everyone on the short track at Les Gets.
It's really considerate of them to schedule the race for right on my lunch hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tifosi01 wrote:
I stumbled upon XCO last year in December and have been watching all the old seasons, very entertaining on the trainer. One question though, why so few races in a season? I would love a race every weekend but obviously know that’s not possible but could we get like a 10 or 12 race season?


There are actually tons of races, but only a handful of World Cups. There are several big national race series in Europe (Switzerland being one of the most high profile), but there's basically no coverage of them stateside. In the US, XCO is basically dead unless you live in one of a handful of places in the US (I'm being a little hyperbolic, but you get the idea), especially when it comes to USAC sanctioned races. Heck, I live in Colorado and there are only a couple of XCO style races and we have the Rocky Mountains to play in. Most of our stuff is a) not sanctioned and b) large single loop races (and many of them much longer than XCO typically is).
Last edited by: jhammond: Jul 12, 19 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, impressive attack and hold. I think last week was just altitude and jet lag, maybe just an off week. I love her facial expressions in a race, you know how much it's hurting.

Batty can't seem to put 2 good years together, she's on one year, off the next. This year seems a down year.

As much as love seeing KC win, I'm missing Annika. I hope she's back soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. So, so good today. That was a really fun short track course. I am getting pretty fired up, and can’t believe I am saying this, actually looking at how to possibly volunteer and/or spectate in WV!



I miss you "Sports Night"
Last edited by: Quo Vadimus: Jul 12, 19 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
Well whatever it was Courtney seems to have worked it out. She just killed everyone on the short track at Les Gets.
It's really considerate of them to schedule the race for right on my lunch hour.

Short Track was a fantastic idea by UCI or whoever thought of bringing into the WC weekends. Genius level.

I'm racing 2019 IM Arizona as part of Team Smile Train. Will I implode? Will I finish strong? Donate to find out more!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't watched the men's Les Gets race yet on replay, but damn, did Kate Courtney dominate this weekend! She won the short track and then totally controlled the XC race. I was impressed with Neff's comeback to take 2nd too as she was down in 7-8th for awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what happened to Van Der Poel? His 16th place is out of step with his other results this year (or even this weekend). Maybe someone slipped some kryptonite in his water bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
I haven't watched the men's Les Gets race yet on replay, but damn, did Kate Courtney dominate this weekend! She won the short track and then totally controlled the XC race. I was impressed with Neff's comeback to take 2nd too as she was down in 7-8th for awhile.

Kate seems to be a more complete package than Yolanda. Yolanda doesn't seem to have the power when it comes to uphill and her faster cycling cadence seems almost silly at times (I still think she has been great and still is)
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about Elite/World Cup XCO MTB [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Van Der Poel? His 16th place is out of step with his other results this year (or even this weekend). Maybe someone slipped some kryptonite in his water bottle.

He took 6 weeks off so he can rebuild for road worlds. On IG he has been posting vacation pictures and his trainer said he took an extended period of time off the bike to let the body reset. He has raced most of the CX season, spring classics, then first two XCO races, guy needs a break.

http://riseabovecyclingpodcast.podbean.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next