Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
It’s odd that he gained weight since the premise was to lose weight and use fat stores for glycogen in long endurance efforts. Looks like it backfired.

Study after study has shown that the "mixture" of Carbohydrate and fat used when training racing is relatively fixed. It's predominately carbohydrate at the training/racing intensities that are common for most endurance sports athletes and that ratio stays the same as intensity ramps up. In other words, if you want to burn more fat - train harder and longer!!

Where people get this wrong is they buy into this falsity that by altering or manipulating diet and training intensity you can some how dial up the amount of fat you are burning relative to carbohydrate like you are turning dials on a stereo - that is false/wrong! If there is anything here - it's 1 to 2% stuff. Work on the 98% that we know works first, before moving onto the experimental 1 - 2% stuff. Why is this always so hard to understand?

As you noted - best thing to do is eat a well rounded diet with a focus on vegetables and fruit, and appropriate amounts of protein and fat.

So GTN went to the Porsche Performance center and did some testing to determine "fat burning" zones...let's just say the fat burning efforts were quite high. Which is much different from what I remember being told as a young athlete 9-10 minute pace is the fat burning zone...well not freakin' true!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Study after study has shown that the "mixture" of Carbohydrate and fat used when training racing is relatively fixed. It's predominately carbohydrate at the training/racing intensities that are common for most endurance sports athletes and that ratio stays the same as intensity ramps up. In other words, if you want to burn more fat - train harder and longer!!

Where people get this wrong is they buy into this falsity that by altering or manipulating diet and training intensity you can some how dial up the amount of fat you are burning relative to carbohydrate like you are turning dials on a stereo - that is false/wrong! If there is anything here - it's 1 to 2% stuff. Work on the 98% that we know works first, before moving onto the experimental 1 - 2% stuff. Why is this always so hard to understand?

As you noted - best thing to do is eat a well rounded diet with a focus on vegetables and fruit, and appropriate amounts of protein and fat.

This should be pinned somewhere. Finally some sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bevan McKinnon aka the Balanced Runner is his running advisor not sure coach. He is from Australia and did this from a video phone call. I think the numbers are a bit false myself and some of stuff they say improving efficiency I'd wrong you can improve economy but how do you measure efficiency?

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [garwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To measure efficiency you put the athlete on a treadmill with a mask and see how hard he has to work at different speeds. Sage Canaday did a video on this a few months ago
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [garwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garwood wrote:
Bevan McKinnon aka the Balanced Runner is his running advisor not sure coach. He is from Australia and did this from a video phone call. I think the numbers are a bit false myself and some of stuff they say improving efficiency I'd wrong you can improve economy but how do you measure efficiency?

Paul Mackinnon = Balanced Runner / Aussie Coach

Bevan Mckinnon = NZ coach.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
PJC wrote:
Once a week is enough.

Maybe twice with one being just news.

IMHO he needs daily vids to drive newbs towards his training platform. But his daily vids need be no more than an update on his training for the day and thoughts on how he is progressing etc. He will quickly fall of the radar otherwise.

He constantly likes to compare himself to Casey Niestat-well Casey made a mega successful series just out of his day to day life. He needs to stop begin lazy and if he is going to be like Casey actually use some of his cinematography examples by telling the story while he is out and about. Dialogue from behind a desk is boring as bat shit...unless its his newsday edition.

Lazy is one word I would never associate with Taren. And I do not believe a daily video was sustainable. I think most people agree with his decision to drop to 3 videos a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Pretty much my thoughts. Any diet with a name is a gimmick. Just eat a healthy, well balanced diet.

It’s odd that he gained weight since the premise was to lose weight and use fat stores for glycogen in long endurance efforts. Looks like it backfired.

I agree that a healthy, well balanced diet is the key, simplest answer.

At the same time, I do believe that such a diet looks a lot more like what most people today would call 'low-carb' (I'm not into no-carb/keto) and closer to keto than a normal Western diet. Refined sugars (including pastas and sweeteners) have run rampant in our society, and it's def dietary enemy #1 when fighting the scourages of childhood obesity and type 2 DM, both of which increased a huge amount once we went to the FDA 'low-fat' diet recommendations. If we ate nothing but natural, unprocessed foods, we'd do soooo much better.

I do think it's problematic for endurance athletes, esp triathletes that do train at high intensity at times, to try to zero-out carbs, as we clearly need them and need to replace them. At the same time, even I find that reducing refined sugars in favor of natural, whole foods is reallly essential to maintaining a 'balanced, healthy diet'. It feels to me like a keto-like approach, without the dogma of getting to zero carbs (although I'll def say that going to near-zero carbs is def legit for some very nonactive people who are very overweight.)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Pretty much my thoughts. Any diet with a name is a gimmick. Just eat a healthy, well balanced diet.

I agree that a healthy, well balanced diet is the key, simplest answer.

At the same time, I do believe that such a diet looks a lot more like what most people today would call 'low-carb' (I'm not into no-carb/keto) and closer to keto than a normal Western diet. Refined sugars (including pastas and sweeteners) have run rampant in our society, and it's def dietary enemy #1 when fighting the scourages of childhood obesity and type 2 DM, both of which increased a huge amount once we went to the FDA 'low-fat' diet recommendations. If we ate nothing but natural, unprocessed foods, we'd do soooo much better.

I do think it's problematic for endurance athletes, esp triathletes that do train at high intensity at times, to try to zero-out carbs, as we clearly need them and need to replace them. At the same time, even I find that reducing refined sugars in favor of natural, whole foods is reallly essential to maintaining a 'balanced, healthy diet'. It feels to me like a keto-like approach, without the dogma of getting to zero carbs (although I'll def say that going to near-zero carbs is def legit for some very nonactive people who are very overweight.)

I guess it depends on how you're defining "very overweight". If you're talking about obesity maybe low carb diet would be helpful but people should ideally be discussing with their doctor. Beyond that it's rare these diets lead to life long changes in people's eating habits. It's far more likely they continue the yo-yo dieting instead of making small changes that develop better habits that are more likely to stick. I've seen it numerous times with my co-workers who do weight watchers. They go on weight watchers. lose a bunch of weight. stop it. gain a bunch of weight. then go back again.

It's the same with exercise. go to any gym in Jan and April and compare the difference. Jan it's crowded because all the new years resolution people come firing with all cyclinders and start exercising 5 days a week then they fade by April and they're doing next to nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually saying that today's definition of 'low carb' = Normal diet definition from 30+ years ago (before the processed sugars became ubiquitous and the huge jump in epidemic obesity + DM2 that literally parallels the rise of sugars and the demonization of dietary fat.)

It's taken me a few years, but I'm now more than ever convinced of all the research linking refined sugars to the obesity epidemic (especially childhood), and it irks me more than ever that the first thing we see on the nutritional labels of food today next to (and equal in stature) to the CALORIES number, is the "CALORIES FROM FAT" number. That should absolutely be changed to "CALORIES FROM SUGAR", as sugar is the demon, not fat. This doesn't mean that you can eat unlimited fat (obviously), it just highlights that refined sugars trigger appetite and craving and loss of dietary control wayyy more than fats do.

Again, this is aimed at the general populace - if you're a avid STer with good body mass control and good performance, you are likely only doing yourself a disservice to change up what's been working well for you (and as much as I love LS, he falls into this category.) Note that as you age, your eating profile will also change as metabolism slows - I used to be able to eat anything and everything under age 33, but now that I'm 40+, my metabolism has dramatically slowed despite increasing training, and I have to carefully CHOOSE what I eat or I go toward my parents' obese setpoint.
Last edited by: lightheir: May 30, 19 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm actually saying that today's definition of 'low carb' = Normal diet definition from 30+ years ago (before the processed sugars became ubiquitous and the huge jump in epidemic obesity + DM2 that literally parallels the rise of sugars and the demonization of dietary fat.)

It's taken me a few years, but I'm now more than ever convinced of all the research linking refined sugars to the obesity epidemic (especially childhood), and it irks me more than ever that the first thing we see on the nutritional labels of food today next to (and equal in stature) to the CALORIES number, is the "CALORIES FROM FAT" number. That should absolutely be changed to "CALORIES FROM SUGAR", as sugar is the demon, not fat. This doesn't mean that you can eat unlimited fat (obviously), it just highlights that refined sugars trigger appetite and craving and loss of dietary control wayyy more than fats do.

Again, this is aimed at the general populace - if you're a avid STer with good body mass control and good performance, you are likely only doing yourself a disservice to change up what's been working well for you (and as much as I love LS, he falls into this category.) Note that as you age, your eating profile will also change as metabolism slows - I used to be able to eat anything and everything under age 33, but now that I'm 40+, my metabolism has dramatically slowed despite increasing training, and I have to carefully CHOOSE what I eat or I go toward my parents' obese setpoint.

If you are eating something that has a label.. most likely this is a processed food product and the fat damaged just as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think labels on food change behavior and eating habits. If one chooses to swallow pizzas, burgers, fries, cookies, cake, ice cream and pies at all hours in superhuman sized proportions then you get a supersized body. People are in too much of a hurry so they go through the
Starbucks Drive thru for an iced triple chocolate latte and then at
McDonalds for lunch for a Quarter Pounder with cheese and a large fry with ketchup and a large Coke. By lunch they’re already probably double
to triple their recommended daily caloric, fat and sugar intake.

It’s about choices really, and the majority of the population are making very bad dietary and lifestyle choices. But hey, everyone’s doing it so it’s okay right? That’s the mentality out there. It’s also probably why triathlon isn’t growing, We live in a apathetic, sedentary society. Nobody wants to work hard and have it all. It’s the new American Dream. It used to be work
hard and maybe you can have it all one
day. In terms of keto, people are looking for the latest quick
fix gimmick that requires the least amount of effort and change.

lightheir wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

synthetic wrote:
lightheir wrote:

If you are eating something that has a label.. most likely this is a processed food product and the fat damaged just as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The labels DO make a difference.

I'll bet that the majority of the population (you might be one) still thinks fat is a far bigger enemy than sugar - that main label heading I described is not subtle - it literally highlights 'fat' as enemy #1, when in fact, all the modern dietary evidence shows this is not the case, and the sugar is enemy #1.

Again, this is the #1 line on the label, not some small sublabel buried down there. When FAT is literally the first thing you see on the label, it has an effect, and is absolutely contributing to the ongoing dietary problems.

I agree that if you just eat whole, unprocessed foods, you're good to go, no labels needed.

The unfortunate truth today though is that we're totally inundated with processed foods that it sometimes takes minor heroics to keep on such a diet. It's very hard to compete with billions of dollars of advertising and product placement. I can make those good choices for myself (and I do), but even in my household, I have no chance to get my 8-year old daughter to eat what I eat, since she's tasted the delectably addictive processed foods out there and wants them a lot. And I'm lucky enough to have disposable income, which means I can buy ample high quality fresh foods (I've been poor enough when I couldn't do that, so I know.)

I said it before but will say it again, hesitate to pass judgment on those that don't make the best food choices and/or have weight problems. It's a complex mix, and just because you can get it right doesn't make you a better person nor does it mean you are necessarily a more disciplined person than them. Let's see how well you would do if you were born with 2 unattentive drug-addicted parents, in an inner city food desert, in poverty, and then we'll really talk how disciplined you are about getting whole unprocessed foods in a food desert. That's an extreme example, yes, but you'd be surprised at how many factors you overlook when passing judgment on the obese.
Last edited by: lightheir: May 30, 19 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you still making podcasts? We used to listen all of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I agree. Sugar is a huge problem and definitely something I've become more aware of recently. I've started to cut out sugar where I can and of course eat fewer processed foods. I'm amazed at how much sugar is in some stuff and what actually has sugar added to it. I have seen more products popping up with lower sugar options. I've been lucky enough that weight has never really been an issue even now in my late 40s. It actually is a challenge for me to gain significant weight (not complaining) but knowing that things can change and my activity level as I get older is likely to decrease is why I'm working on developing better eating habits now. I'm certainly not perfect at all but I know it's something I should continue to get better at. For the general populace, easy advice is less sugar, fewer processed foods, reduced portion sizes (often drastically reduced). Often it's easier said than done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re missing the point. Most people are eating pure crap. Sugar is just part of the equation when everything being
thrown down the gullet is processed high sugar, high fat, high calorie,
high carb. Obviously sugar is bad but most people with a bad diet are
making a lot of bad choices beyond overconsumption of sugar.

lightheir wrote:
The labels DO make a difference.

I'll bet that the majority of the population (you might be one) still thinks fat is a far bigger enemy than sugar - that main label heading I described is not subtle - it literally highlights 'fat' as enemy #1, when in fact, all the modern dietary evidence shows this is not the case, and the sugar is enemy #1.

Again, this is the #1 line on the label, not some small sublabel buried down there. When FAT is literally the first thing you see on the label, it has an effect, and is absolutely contributing to the ongoing dietary problems.

I agree that if you just eat whole, unprocessed foods, you're good to go, no labels needed.

The unfortunate truth today though is that we're totally inundated with processed foods that it sometimes takes minor heroics to keep on such a diet. It's very hard to compete with billions of dollars of advertising and product placement. I can make those good choices for myself (and I do), but even in my household, I have no chance to get my 8-year old daughter to eat what I eat, since she's tasted the delectably addictive processed foods out there and wants them a lot. And I'm lucky enough to have disposable income, which means I can buy ample high quality fresh foods (I've been poor enough when I couldn't do that, so I know.)

I said it before but will say it again, hesitate to pass judgment on those that don't make the best food choices and/or have weight problems. It's a complex mix, and just because you can get it right doesn't make you a better person nor does it mean you are necessarily a more disciplined person than them. Let's see how well you would do if you were born with 2 unattentive drug-addicted parents, in an inner city food desert, in poverty, and then we'll really talk how disciplined you are about getting whole unprocessed foods in a food desert. That's an extreme example, yes, but you'd be surprised at how many factors you overlook when passing judgment on the obese.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is natural? Does that even have a definition, or is it something every individual defines personally?

And no, sugar is not bad for you. It is just not good for you. There is a huge difference. Rat poison, there you have something bad for you.

More importantly, sugar isn't sugar. Giving someone sugar through fruit or through something "unhealthy", like Coca Cola, makes a huge difference. It is the total content of the food you are eating that matters, not one single ingredient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I'm not missing the point at all when I say refined sugar is enemy #1. It's been pretty exhaustively studied and proven, I'm not just making this up, lots of legit books and researchers on this.

The refined sugar triggers specific appetite and hormonal changes that make you want more. A LOT more. Hence childhood breakfast cereals, etc. Hence why it's added to literally everything, and then it sells a LOT.

In contrast, fats (despite being made enemy #1 by the commercial sugar industry based on totally BS nonscientific data) do not stimulate the same hunger as sugar does and doesn't make your brain tell you to eat when you're not hungry at all. Just look at what they add to commercial packaged food to make it sell better - in the vast majority of cases, it's sugar, not fat being added.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
What is natural? Does that even have a definition, or is it something every individual defines personally?

And no, sugar is not bad for you. It is just not good for you. There is a huge difference. Rat poison, there you have something bad for you.

More importantly, sugar isn't sugar. Giving someone sugar through fruit or through something "unhealthy", like Coca Cola, makes a huge difference. It is the total content of the food you are eating that matters, not one single ingredient.

To clarify, enemy #1 is REFINED sugar. That's the processed stuff that's free of other things, particularly fiber. Stuff like white powdered sugar, as well as white breads and pastas that have been stripped of fiber fall into this category.

In nature, it's really rare to find pure refined sugar. Our DNA makes us want sugar, but when we get it through nature, it almost invariably comes with a lot of fiber and other stuff. By the time we're satisfying our sugar craving, we've packed in so much volume that you lose your urge to overeat calories. Think of how hard it would be for someone to get obese on apples and green vegetables, even if they force-fed themselves.

In contrast, refined sugar makes it super easy to fill up the tank. Hence the undeniable link between childhood obesity in the 90s-00s and upswing of soda consumption. (That trend is starting to actually reverse now that parents are aware of this and buying a lot less soda.)

Interestingly, fat is even more calorically dense than sugar by a fair amount, so you'd think it would be even worse than sugar in terms of overeating it. Turns out fat doesn't stimulate your hunger/binge center any where near as much as the refined carbs, and the fats satiate you more. (You can overcome that fat satiety by combining the fat with refined sugars, like a potato chips and get a double whammy!)

I let myself eat almost as much whole-plant based sugars (fruits are a big one) as I want, and I just outright ignore the calorie contribution even if I'm logging all other calories. I could eat 10 apples, 20 bananas, and more, and I would still lose weight easily since the fiber load will slow down my appetitite so much that I won't have room to eat much anything else. (I do monitor whole-grain pasta/bread intake since it's still somewhat processed.)
Last edited by: lightheir: May 30, 19 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Fleck wrote:

So GTN went to the Porsche Performance center and did some testing to determine "fat burning" zones...let's just say the fat burning efforts were quite high. Which is much different from what I remember being told as a young athlete 9-10 minute pace is the fat burning zone...well not freakin' true!

And, as far as we know, both of the GTN hosts are NOT on a LCHF diet. It's all about training zones. Sure, reducing carbs you can easily lose a few pounds/kilos. For myself, I recently paused my gains train to lean out a bit so I don't get too fat while putting on some muscle. I basically just cut out breads, pastas, etc. I still eat some rice and various colors of potatoes (not as much as before), but increased my fat intake and replaced those processed carbs with more veggies, salads, berries and apples.

Just paying attention to what you are eating and WHEN you are eating it (near workouts, etc) can make a big difference in weight or body composition. I've also changed up my lifting to lift 3x/week for 45-60 mins, but I'm still getting in a full lifting workout that would normally take me 75-90 mins, so the intensity is much higher and the workout seems so much harder. I've also made sure to pay attention to my endurance training - I either ride really hard or really easy.

Also, TT just posted an update on his LCHF experiment. I watch about half of his videos...some of them are interesting and since I'm not an onion or brand new endurance athlete, I take everything with a grain of salt and be sure to follow up any seemingly "too good to be true" claims with some research. I also realize that first and foremost, he is doing his best to make a living using youtube to funnel people to his training platform. As long as you remember that, enjoy the entertainment and chuckle at the silly things (like the flip turn video...one of the worst).

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo...I eat a relatively normal diet. But, I can ride for 4 hours at a decent intensity, whether it's climbing or longer flat efforts, with no food. Why? Because I'm fit and I've been at this endurance stuff since I started competitive swimming at age 6, 22 years ago.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
No, I'm not missing the point at all when I say refined sugar is enemy #1. It's been pretty exhaustively studied and proven, I'm not just making this up, lots of legit books and researchers on this.

No one is defending sugar and I certainly won't, but saying it's been "exhaustively studied and proven" seems an overstatement. There is a new study looking at ultra-processed food that is legit, and there are likely some legit research showing sugar is bad, but I'm unaware of any legit books or research that "prove" that sugar is enemy #1. You have the likes of scaremonger journalist Gary Taubes writing books about it, but I don't think any real researcher would consider that "legit".

Edit: shouldn't have contributed to the hijacking of this thread.

I've come around on Taren from my poor first impressions of him. He has some good stuff. But I sure don't need a daily vlog from him. Every now and then when he really has something is fine.
Last edited by: HardlyTrying: May 31, 19 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, TT just posted an update on his LCHF experiment

I started watching, but shut it off when he started saying that "it's not as simple" and "these are the nutritional products to take and when to take them". If I can't keep it simple, I'm not interested. If I have to buy "nutritional products", I'm not interested.

Personally, if I have to do anything more than "eat decent quality food when hungry", it's too complex.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 31, 19 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, as far as I can tell all three of the GTN hosts are on normal performance athlete diets. And Heather likes to bake.

Of course if you go Keto or whatever we're calling the crap these days. Your efforts required to burn fat won't be crazy high. I remember when I went "Paleo" and the Paleo folk all talk about becoming fat adapted. I lost weight but that was more because of a sort of restrictive diet and trying to eat mostly whole foods. I eat roughly 100g of carbs/day regularly because I'm trying to cut, but most of that comes from Broccoli, Bananas, and Apples...so it ends up being volumous.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Taren discontinuing daily vlog [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally, it was about time.

Apart from this kids that post gaming tips or whatever I cant name a single successful youtube channel that posts every day - maybe there is one out there I just not aware.

We will probably have a better content from now on. I stop following him a year ago because the amount the mushroom thing!
Quote Reply

Prev Next