Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Home made carbon insole hack backfire [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
JYoung wrote:
I do fiberglass/carbon work as a hobby (alpine skis, snowboards, surfboards, canoes etc) Figured I could hack the system and make a pair of carbon insoles and get my 80 watt increase I've been promised.

I pulled the insole out of an old beater pair of Nike something or others.
I think you missed a key point and made a rigid plate like a bike shoe sole instead of using anisotropy as part of your layup as a tool to create an additional 'spring' effect. You would need unidirectional carbon (not a weave) with an embedded shear stress (from anisotropy in the layup).

I'm on it
Quote Reply
Re: Home made carbon insole hack backfire [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
dammit you made me look for it: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...1_P7425735/#p7425735

The question is, have you hit the subscribe button and notification bell?
Quote Reply
Re: Home made carbon insole hack backfire [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, I have yet to the see 4% increase in my HM PR as of yet... but I have snagged a bunch of Strava segments because of them!

https://www.youtube.com/...VJYQT9ERI3w&t=1s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I modified my camera mount and I think it will work. I think this might be my best Zwift race/group ride showing ever! Got a top 5% finish
(17 out of 330), an FTP bump from 341 to 348 and a kudos from GP Lama himself!

Life is good!

Tour of Watopia: Stage 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vTLQnbIGb0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I was reminded of this thread today as someone sent me a PM asking about said carbon insoles. I looked thread up and found the most uninspired words, disguised as prudence
I support your R&D. I too made carbon plates for shoes once. Used tape to secure to feet for sprints. They were faster than sprint spikes. :)

To the naysayers, a lot can be learned from one-off shoddy testing. If there are improvements in performance with haphazard design, it points to bigger improvements with optimization.

It was this precise haphazard method of testing the limits of things that led me to my current expertise in fueling training.

@JYoung, keep doing your thing. Just watch out for stress fractures with homemade stiff-soled shoes. ;)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Home made carbon insole hack backfire [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It was this precise haphazard method of testing the limits of things that led me to my current expertise in fueling training.

Amen. A college essay about blowing up your kitchen isn't the worst way to get Purdue's attention.
Last edited by: apmoss: Apr 11, 21 4:52
Quote Reply
Re: Home made carbon insole hack backfire [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first pair of Zoot shoes back in 2010 had the plate and since then I've had more than a dozen pairs with the carbon. I like them because I overpronate and it helps with stability. But at times agree it feels like a ski boot. Actually just got out my last pair of Ultra TT 7.0s as I bought several when they went on sale for $35 years back. I still like running in them but the plate doesn't provide any speed on it's own.

synthetic wrote:
the magic of the carbon shoe era is not the carbon plate. others use nylon plate. Its the combination of the new foam and plate working together. Carbon plates are not new. In fact I had the zoot tri shoes with carbon plate in them 10 years ago. More stiff like running in ski boots at times
Quote Reply
Re: Home made carbon insole hack backfire [jkuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkuo wrote:
My first pair of Zoot shoes back in 2010 had the plate and since then I've had more than a dozen pairs with the carbon. I like them because I overpronate and it helps with stability. But at times agree it feels like a ski boot. Actually just got out my last pair of Ultra TT 7.0s as I bought several when they went on sale for $35 years back. I still like running in them but the plate doesn't provide any speed on it's own.

synthetic wrote:
the magic of the carbon shoe era is not the carbon plate. others use nylon plate. Its the combination of the new foam and plate working together. Carbon plates are not new. In fact I had the zoot tri shoes with carbon plate in them 10 years ago. More stiff like running in ski boots at times

and well that is why the massive price drop, which i got suckered into. these shoes destroy my feet
Quote Reply
Re: Home made carbon insole hack backfire [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some foam lined up and have a plan for carbon sole v2.0

Going to have two plates with a shared pivot point sandwiched over foam. Top plate go back half way to heel, bottom plate go back to ball of foot. I have same HM as last test coming up 5/29, standby. should probably start running block ASAP.

In meanwhile found hack to win Tour of Watopia race/groupride. Eat small steak dinner 38 min before race.

https://www.youtube.com/...wkCNtfDC1VU&t=1s

oh yeah and my last carbon bow blew out as predicted because I used shitty wood... SCIENCE!
Quote Reply

Prev Next