Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Everest Traffic Jam Version Of Mass Swim Start
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Everest Traffic Jam Version Of Mass Swim Start [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man this picture has hit a nerve, no less than a dozen of my FB friends have posted this up. Guess a lot of people died too this season, no doubt waiting in line in the kill zone is not helping matters..

I thought it looked like the start of the run at Ironman Texas last year....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ironman/ Mc Donalds of high altitude.
I see a lot of people with drive and no creativity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is funny but I saw this too and then started watching a few videos from many moons ago. I swear the first shot here is just a screen grab from a video I saw. But regardless six years ago they had lines like this - I guess just bringing it back to the newscycle. I was curious but do you think Ironman fitness translate at all to this with a slow resting heart rate?

This from six years ago says the guy speaking couldn't actually stand at the top because it was too crowded. He also said climbers die of arrogance. They just continue on even when their sherpas tell them to turn around because they are not going to make it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 24, 19 18:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it bad that the first thing I thought about is how much money each person spent to stand in line?

Kind of like Disney I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Everest Traffic Jam Version Of Mass Swim Start [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello monty and All,

It does hit a nerve ..... so many people on Spaceship Earth now ..... doing the same things ... no matter how exotic.

1953 .... not so long ago .....

I am reminded of an old Japanese short story ....

A Japanese salaryman lived in a multi story appartment building ... each apartment had a different color door ... for a ways down the hall .... and then the door color sequence would repeat.

One night he came home ... tired .... asked his wife for his slippers .... and newspaper ... and some tea.

She obliged.

After finishing the tea he realized he was in the wrong apartment .... apologized and left for his apartment.

The sameness of the event affected him .... was everyone the same?

The salaryman started carrying dynamite in his briefcase to and from work .....

About 2 months later there was an explosion near his building killing some occupants.

An investigation determined that a man that lived in an apartment building nearby was carrying dynamite and there was an accident ... no motive for his behavior was determined.

The salaryman wondered what he should do ............

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't blame this one on Chris Christie.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mountain is open for the first time in a few years for summits, no?

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

Can you say 'Conga Line' or 'Bunny Hop'?

It would suck to wait all that time, get to the end, and find out it's the wrong line.
Quote Reply
Re: Everest Traffic Jam Version Of Mass Swim Start [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

Can you say 'Conga Line' or 'Bunny Hop'?

It would suck to wait all that time, get to the end, and find out it's the wrong line.

You win the internet today.
Quote Reply
Re: Everest Traffic Jam Version Of Mass Swim Start [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello B. McMaster and All,

And the beat goes on .....

https://www.nytimes.com/...ath-traffic-jam.html

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello B. McMaster and All,

And the beat goes on .....

https://www.nytimes.com/...ath-traffic-jam.html

I watched a UK documentary a couple of months back, with Anthony Middleton (ex-SAS or SBS (he was previously in the Marines - the UK's 'commandos')) climbing Everest (2017 or 18 when filmed).
Whilst he was clearly experienced, capable and fit enough, the film showed some right liabilities dangling on ropes - totally out of their depths even at 20k ft, never mind 28k.
Middleton was last to leave the summit on his ascent. It could hqve killed him as a storm came in, and he was stuck going nowhere for 3 hrs waiting in a queue to get onto a rope down the Hillary Step, freezing at 28k ft.
The sherpas were debating cutting a rope as 1 person was on it for SOOOOOOO long not going up, not going down. Just dangling. Jeopardising a dozen or more still above.
Middleton did finally get down, with some frostbite.
But at least 1 person that day (not in his group) died because of the 'fest.

Shocking really how incompetent people can buy their way onto the mountain these days. 30 or 40 years ago you needed to be a real climber to be there. But commerial outfits hauling unsuitable people up ropes for large sums of money now rule the roost.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: May 25, 19 23:29
Quote Reply
Re: Everest Traffic Jam Version Of Mass Swim Start [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost sounds like IM.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply