Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I ride a disc for virtually every race. I ride a HED so it's stiffness is similar to conventional wheels, but I am not convinced that a tiny difference in rim deflection will cause a noticeable difference in friction during a turn. Force vectors will be substantially the same.
If you don't know, you don't know.

RowToTri wrote:
his sounds a lot like the cyclist mumbo-jumbo about how they can really feel the difference in the siffness of different top frames when they ride them.
I've ridden a lot of different frames, and wheels. It's not mumbo jumbo. It's quantifiable, but more importantly, the subjective feel—the handling—is markedly different b/t a spoked wheel (Hed) and a foam core/"sandwich layup" wheel (Zipp).

I've raced both. The Hed is more comfortable, the Zipp is SO MUCH stiffer. The Hed corners like a spoked wheel—it flexes—while the Zipp offers zero compliance, so the tire and frame flex. Or not, and the wheel skips underneath the rider (which was a little scary).

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
Noticed that in some of the hillier IMs like France/Whistler/Lanzarote/etc, some Pros are choosing not to ride a disc wheel, and some of those Pros are supposed to be very knowledgeable including ex pro cyclist.
I know that unless it's a steep uphill only TT, disc wheel should always be faster, but curious on why they are making that decisions to not ride with a disc.

Could it be just the weight difference? Dif seems to be aprox 350gr when comparing to a light 60mm profile rear wheel, so not significant considering the aero benefit of a disc.

Other factors?
wind? for most people it's the front wheel depth that is important for wind stability, and also from those hillier IMs seems only Lanzarote is the one that have the wind factor.

'other factors' - they just don't want to ride a disk. It's not a quantitative decision. There's no data. They just don't want to ride a disc. Not everyone follows a precise data driven approach to gear, as much as ST dislikes it.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Pro cyclists don't have to run off the bike - triathletes do.

Unless you are Chris Froome ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i wish i could find the thread. i think the idea was that the lateral force increased the rolling resistance somehow, but i don't remember the details. i think someone from ERO chimed in on the thread.

the notion is plausible to me, but i don't know enough to know if its true.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:
i wish i could find the thread. i think the idea was that the lateral force increased the rolling resistance somehow, but i don't remember the details. i think someone from ERO chimed in on the thread.

Was this for a disc rolling in a straight line? Or was this for a disc while cornering?

If you are ever able to get more info, l would definitely be interested to read it ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

it was all about when there is a crosswind. so the sail-effect was subverted by the increase in rr.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

I wonder if the additional side force (from the sail effect on the rear disc) increases the friction at the tire contact patch?

Anybody else heard of this, or has any data about it?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going to guess that if you see a pro riding an 808 etc when the ideal wheel is a rear disc that it is largely travel related. Ie don’t want to travel with a 3rd wheel, don’t want to ride 300-600km on a disc between away races, less stress if you break a spoke etc (try fixing a spoke at a shop on some of the closed spoked discs)

Etc, etc

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
Noticed that in some of the hillier IMs like France/Whistler/Lanzarote/etc, some Pros are choosing not to ride a disc wheel, and some of those Pros are supposed to be very knowledgeable including ex pro cyclist.
I know that unless it's a steep uphill only TT, disc wheel should always be faster, but curious on why they are making that decisions to not ride with a disc.

Could it be just the weight difference? Dif seems to be aprox 350gr when comparing to a light 60mm profile rear wheel, so not significant considering the aero benefit of a disc.

Other factors?
wind? for most people it's the front wheel depth that is important for wind stability, and also from those hillier IMs seems only Lanzarote is the one that have the wind factor.

To add some perspective, a Roval 321 Disc is nearly the same weight as deep section traditional rear wheels.

Roval 321 ~1000gr
Zipp 858NSW ~942gr

The separation between deep wheels and disc wheels is closing down
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why do you think that he is very knowledgeable?

so your argument here is that cam wurf rides the gear he does because he's simply too stupid to ride anything else? because the brain trust on slowtwitch have it all figured out and he doesn't?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Are Pros choosing not to ride a disc wheel on hilliest IMs just because of the 350gr aprox weight difference? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about Cam Wurf's specific equipment choices, but here is an interesting thread from a few years ago:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...in_Kona!!!_P5925555/
Quote Reply

Prev Next