Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dropping seatpost Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
So I got my new SC for a couple of weeks now, been doing indoor rides only to get my fit right.
On the first ride outside my seatpost immediately dropped 5cm. Both bolts are evenly set to 5.2 Nm.
I've added more carbon paste already but so far no change...

I believe my LBS exceeded the 5.2 Nm when initially tightening the bolts.
Also after contacting him on the issue he mentioned that 5.2 Nm just isn't enough and that I can easily exceed this limit.

Wanted to get some input on whether or not this is a common issue with the SC, how to solve this and if exceeding the 5.2 Nm is an ok thing to do.
If so, what would be acceptable torque without damaging the clamp, seatpost or frame.

Thanks!
Last edited by: Chelle: May 24, 19 3:54
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping seatpost Speed Concept [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 SC 7 with stock seat post that I train and race on. I have always used the tool that came with the bike to secure the seat post. Never tightening past the click. My seat post has never moved. I am 5' 7" 143 lbs.

I know this is not especially helpful but I thought I would give you my info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that the Gen 1 is 7.2nm for a single bolt.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep this happens. Always check your clamp bolts before every race and every 1-2mo to keep everything tight. I use a good amount of fiber grip on the post and if its a continued issue locktite the seat bolts once you get the fit right.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping seatpost Speed Concept [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:
Yep this happens. Always check your clamp bolts before every race and every 1-2mo to keep everything tight. I use a good amount of fiber grip on the post and if its a continued issue locktite the seat bolts once you get the fit right.

Well I don't think it's the bolts that are coming loose.
If I just tighten them to 5.2Nm, lean over on the saddle to put some weight on it and wiggle a bit I can see the seatpost dropping already.
So once I get out on the road it doesn't take long before my saddle drops all the way down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean off the old grip paste and re-apply. grease the bolts and screw them in to 6-7nm. Sometimes the bolts stick and will cause torque wrench to click before its actually screwed down tight enough and to the proper torque.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping seatpost Speed Concept [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also switch to finish line fiber grip, beats everything else I've used:

http://www.finishlineusa.com/...products/fiber-grip-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an older Speed Concept, so I would hope they'd have fixed the issue by now, but a few years ago there was a recall on their seatpost wedges. Mine would slip on every ride, but once the wedge was replaced, all was good. Worth looking into?
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping seatpost Speed Concept [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
I have an older Speed Concept, so I would hope they'd have fixed the issue by now, but a few years ago there was a recall on their seatpost wedges. Mine would slip on every ride, but once the wedge was replaced, all was good. Worth looking into?

OP has a second gen SC and the front of post wedge configuration was changed to a rear two bolt clamp system.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping seatpost Speed Concept [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Clean off the old grip paste and re-apply. grease the bolts and screw them in to 6-7nm.

I over torque mine ever slighly as well... otherwise I hit a bump with me in the saddle and it can/has slipped even with paste.

I marked a line on my post to keep track of it being where it's supposed to be.
Quote Reply