Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So you climbed Everest last week [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently some spanner took his MTB up Everest last year...
Quote Reply
Re: So you climbed Everest last week [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A woman I know climbed Everest on May 22nd from the North side where they had the mountain pretty much to themselves. See her Instagram post.

As a side note, she works for Gu as a nutritionist. She slept in an altitude chamber (as high as 20k') and also worked in a altitude room. (Gu sounds like a pretty great place to work BTW.) She had previously climbed at least 4 or 5 of the "seven summits" and has several 20k' plus peaks to her name. Anyway, she left SFO on Friday May 10th, summited Everest on the 22nd and was back at SFO on the 24th.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: So you climbed Everest last week [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an armchair HimaIayan climber I am voting for this as one of the top 10 most interesting ST threads ever.
Thanks for posting it and for everyone who added the fascinating content.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The video of Lukla airport brings back memories.

I have flown a lot but don't like it and I read a lot about that airport. When I went to EBC I took a bus from Kathmandu to Jiri and started my hike there. It added close to a week before I hiked into Lukla but did it partly to avoid flying in but mainly because that was where the original expeditions used to start. It was only much later when the opened the airport and climbers and hikers could start from there.

On the way back, I didn't want to hike back to Jiri and take another 8 hour bus ride to Kathmandu so I flew. Going down the runway and dipping a bit as you go over the cliff before catching air is scary but the views flying back on a clear day are spectacular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it's not true that helicopters can't fly to 29,000'.
Quote Reply

Prev Next