Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: keto and endurance racing [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
Your Link:

Also, this lady starts by talking about endurance athletes...but then mentions CX and crits? Where on Earth is a 1 hour bike race considered endurance?

Bear in mind that say 'middle-distance' running is 500m to 3K. So less than 10 minutes. From that perspective 1 hour is considered an endurance event.
Last edited by: ianm: Jul 31, 19 2:43
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sasquatch wrote:
My girlfriend is on a LCHF diet. She has a spectacular ass. Debate over.

We have a winner!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [adamga1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ketogenic diet works by raising your body to go into a state of ketosis, when stored fat is used for energy rather than the glucose that comes from carbs. Ketogenic diets are not just for losing weight. Many endurance athletes also turn to these very low-carb, high-fat diets to boost their performance.
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [Kiwi Spud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to avoid the huge debates about professionals and girlfriends etc. I went keto for seizure control for about a year. I put a lot of thought into the decision. I have a PhD in neuropsychology and work in a hospital. I consulted with dietitians, cardiologist, and GI using my personal data. I measured my blood and urine level every other day and logged them in an SPSS database along with micro data about food. I was in ketosis consistently for 9 months.

I can tell you that when you go into ketosis you feel like you have the flu. You will experience problems sleeping and maintaining ketosis. Exercising for long periods of time was a challenge for me. My carbs were less than 5% of my diet and that included all carbs even vegetables. The dietitian recommended a small carb boost before working out but I had trouble staying in ketosis those days. I had trouble keeping power up, keeping speed up, and recovering.

Lots of people are doing fad keto diets to lose weight for 10-11 weeks. Weight loss makes you faster, but that’s not true keto. Figure out your goal, keto isn’t great for everyone or really anyone. Most people that say they are doing it never test to see if they are in ketosis and never actually reach that state.
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you are honest about yourself here

Seems like your very specific “illness” is solved by a change in diet.

Not that this diet has any applicability to the general population...
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [Drfins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been doing the "fad" diet for 2.5 years now. What do you consider Keto? 0.5 mmol is the definition of nutritional ketosis. I never go below 0.5, eat some carbs, never feel weak or drained, ride up to 7 hours (usually end with blood Ketones between 2-3 mmol and have to wait for the carbivores to stop and eat/rest, FTP is higher than it's ever been, no problem with 125% FTP intervals (other than they suck), just took a crown yesterday running up a 6% grade holding a 4:39 pace for 60 seconds, recovery well, sleep well and stopped kicking the cats (pink). My blood Ketones before my 8 mile run yesterday that included my hills sprints/crown was 0.5 mmol checked through blood. It was also 96° at 2pm. So yes I am in ketosis. Being a Dr. you should know you can't make up your own definition of nutritional ketosis. It's defined. I understand it's not for everybody and you should understand that is for some people.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [ethanmiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [Kiwi Spud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keto diets are very popular for the simple reason that many people love eating meat, and a diet that promises that you can eat as much meat as you want without putting on weight is hugely attractive. It is really easy to believe what we want to believe. Keto diet also helps you to lose weight fast... in part because you retain less fluid on a Keto diet: is this real weight loss?

I love meat, I dearly wanted to believe in Keto, however, I also used to work in research, and I tend to use peer reviewed scientific papers to validate stuff like this. There is a ton of research that shows little or no performance benefits of Keto diets, but there is a ton of research that shows significant health risks from adopting a Keto diet. The research that shows benefits of Keto has been done on such small groups of people that they are not statistically significant. The reversal of T2 Diabetes is down to the Low Carb element rather than high fat: a low carb diet can reverse T2 Diabetes, plenty of scientific reseach to back this up. The impact on Epilepsy is one area that Keto may have a positive effect.

Earlier this year, I gave up meat for 3 Vaganuary and then Lent (I am not religious, but giving something up for lent is a bit of a habit). I am eating meat again now, but probably 10% of what I was consuming. I love meat even more, its a special treat. I don't eat many processed carbs, but do eat a massive quantity of fruit, money I would be spending on meat, I now spend on the best fruit I can get. My weight is down to levels I have not seen since a teenager, and my athletic performance has increased massively

I am not suggesting that anyone becomes vegan any more than I am suggesting that someone goes Keto. What I am suggesting is the best diet is balanced does not include much processed food, does not entirely eliminate any food groups, but also moderates intake of some foodgroups like meat, dairy and eggs.
Quote Reply
Re: keto and endurance racing [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
Keto diets are very popular for the simple reason that many people love eating meat, and a diet that promises that you can eat as much meat as you want without putting on weight is hugely attractive.

there are keto vegan dieters too... requires more processed foods like protein powders
Last edited by: synthetic: Jun 22, 20 9:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next