Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been in a pubic protest but I think it would be a blast to find a cow costume and carry a sign that reads eat more chikin. Especially at an abortion protest.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
LOL.. Go look up Chic Filet hours of operation and get back to me. ;o)

Ah, so you want to be able to eat there on Sundays. Got it.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
gregtryin wrote:
orphious wrote:
I was part of the very successful Chic Filet protest last Sunday to close the restaurant down for one day! Success!!! I'm sure we made a difference.

Just out of curiosity, why?

You saw that gay cartoon aardvark got married didn't you?

Well, there's your answer.

Have no idea what cartoon you are talking about. So, what's the answer?

I know the founder is Christian and doesn't believe in homosexuality. So what. Does everyone examine the beliefs and past history of every business owner they patronize to make sure they toe the line on all of their own beliefs? Is that why people protest at a Chic Filet?

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Was on my in to the Courthouse yesterday and it was surrounded by protesters yelling at each other, signs up and chanting. There were protestors in favor of abortion and those against.

Came away from it thinking folks on both sides should spend a little more time on finding good jobs instead of standing around in the middle of the work week yelling at each.

I have never been involved in a public protest but wandered if most were like this?

Glad to see that you admit to having no clue! I go to maybe one large protest every other year (more lately). I am a "fair-weather" activist, and largely add my voice at times of mass mobilization. Don't have the time/desire to do any more and am largely turned off by the militancy of the hard-core activists. Protests that I have attended included vigils at San Quentin, multiple peaceful protests against the Iraq War, gay rights marches, anti-apartheid marches, and recent protests against immigration detention. In almost every case I "backed the right horse". There is one really important maxim with protests:

"The larger the protest, the more moderate the protester." (The Seattle WTO protest of 1999 was a notable exception to this)

Large-scale protests are basically massive street parties with like-minded moderate friends gathering over a single issue. Hard-core activists pretty much dominate small protests and marches, and they can be pretty whacko on both sides. They largely get subsumed by larger protest movements, though media may still focus on the most extreme elements. Trump rallies share qualities of large- and small-scale protests, though they have more in common with religious revivals.

Case in point: After Charlottesville, several small militant white-nationalist groups tried to prokoke small antifa groups into violent protests. However, tens of thousands of peaceful protesters swamped both small groups. That is a common feature of almost all large protests in this country, they are overwhelmingly peaceful.

Your post indicates that you have no clue about this dynamic. BTW, the "paid protester" meme is a standard talking point, endlessly forwarded by people who have no actual experience, and who largely oppose the goals of the protesters. Clearly my friends and I have not figured out how to get on the "paid protester" gravy train!
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 22, 19 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:

Does everyone examine the beliefs and past history of every business owner they patronize to make sure they toe the line on all of their own beliefs?

Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
windywave wrote:
WTO "protest" in Chicago (CPD outnumbered the protesters)
That was definitely not the case for the Seattle WTO protests.

It was originally supposed to be a permitted protest with the organizers supposedly keeping everything in check. Then the anarchists showed up and started vandalizing businesses and taking over intersections. The Seattle police tried to kick everyone out of a 50 block zone. But by that time there were like 40000 protestors and most of them came prepared with gas masks, etc. It was pretty much a shitshow. Seattle brought in National Guard units and they were arresting people who were just residents / not involved, etc.

My bad it was NATO in Chicago and it was shortly after Seattle.

There was no way Chicago was going into Seattle so the presence was enormous. I think the protesters understood the difference between the CPD and Seattle was CPD and Chicago would not stand for that shit
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
ACE wrote:
Was on my in to the Courthouse yesterday and it was surrounded by protesters yelling at each other, signs up and chanting. There were protestors in favor of abortion and those against.

Came away from it thinking folks on both sides should spend a little more time on finding good jobs instead of standing around in the middle of the work week yelling at each.

I have never been involved in a public protest but wandered if most were like this?

Glad to see that you admit to having no clue! I go to maybe one large protest every other year (more lately). I am a "fair-weather" activist, and largely add my voice at times of mass mobilization. Don't have the time/desire to do any more and am largely turned off by the militancy of the hard-core activists. This has included vigils at San Quentin, multiple peaceful protests against the Iraq War, gay rights marches, anti-apartheid marches, and recent protests against immigration detention. In almost every case I "backed the right horse". There is one really important maxim with protests:

"The larger the protest, the more moderate the protester." (The Seattle WTO protest of 1999 was a notable exception to this)

Large-scale protests are basically massive street parties with like-minded moderate friends gathering over a single issue. Hard-core activists pretty much dominate small protests and marches, and they can be pretty whacko on both sides. They largely get subsumed by larger protest movements, though media may still focus on the most extreme elements. Trump rallies share qualities of large- and small-scale protests, though they have more in common with religious revivals.

Case in point: After Charlottesville, several small militant white-nationalist groups tried to prokoke small antifa groups into violent protests. However, tens of thousands of peaceful protesters swamped both small groups. That is a common feature of almost all large protests in this country, they are overwhelmingly peaceful.

Your post indicates that you have no clue about this dynamic. BTW, the "paid protester" meme is a standard talking point, endlessly forwarded by people who have no actual experience, and who largely oppose the goals of the protesters. Clearly my friends and I have not figured out how to get on the "paid protester" gravy train!

My experience matches your comment that smaller protest are more militant and hard core. that was the case with these loons. Too much angst in the world for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

So it's basically a live version of the LR?

Damn LARPers.

The things I would care enough to protest about don't get enough attention to even get protests.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
orphious wrote:
LOL.. Go look up Chic Filet hours of operation and get back to me. ;o)

Ah, so you want to be able to eat there on Sundays. Got it.

Greg

I wish there was near me to eat there let alone on Sundays. hahaha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
I was part of the very successful Chic Filet protest last Sunday to close the restaurant down for one day! Success!!! I'm sure we made a difference.

We stopped going to Chick-fil-A a while ago, not because we disagree with their views or want to protest about anything they do though. We stopped going because their parking lot is ALWAYS full and there is basically a traffic jam at both of their locations for most of the day, particularly lunch time when we would be going to a fast food vendor.

Both of our Chick-fil-A locations now have two lanes of drive through and a whole staff to handle the ordering instead of the usual speaker boxes that the other fast food vendor use. The one closest to our house has its own red light intersection and the people trying to get in gets backed up 1/4 to 1/2 mile around lunch time on Saturdays. Some of the neighboring businesses have "No Chick-fil-A parking" signs up because getting a parking spot is tough at the Chick-fil-A.

So your protest might have had a very, very tiny impact, but I kinda doubt it made any real difference to the company as a whole.

And to the OP, the only "protests" I have been around was when I was in the Navy, protesters did not like my ship entering the port of Sasebo, JP, and formed a line in the bay to keep us out. The Japanese pilot had us speed up and several protester boats were swamped when 100,000 tons of aircraft carrier went by at about 12-15 knots.

Another protest was when I was working on the border, the Doctors Without Borders group decided to protest, well, the fact that we HAVE a border, and decided to "interfere" with our inspection process. That did not last long, considering we all had arrest authority and were more than happy to use it. I only saw a few of them being led away in handcuffs, none of them made it to where I was working that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
orphious wrote:

We stopped going to Chick-fil-A a while ago, not because we disagree with their views or want to protest about anything they do though. We stopped going because their parking lot is ALWAYS full and there is basically a traffic jam at both of their locations for most of the day, particularly lunch time when we would be going to a fast food vendor.

Both of our Chick-fil-A locations now have two lanes of drive through and a whole staff to handle the ordering instead of the usual speaker boxes that the other fast food vendor use. The one closest to our house has its own red light intersection and the people trying to get in gets backed up 1/4 to 1/2 mile around lunch time on Saturdays. Some of the neighboring businesses have "No Chick-fil-A parking" signs up because getting a parking spot is tough at the Chick-fil-A.

So your protest might have had a very, very tiny impact, but I kinda doubt it made any real difference to the company as a whole.

And to the OP, the only "protests" I have been around was when I was in the Navy, protesters did not like my ship entering the port of Sasebo, JP, and formed a line in the bay to keep us out. The Japanese pilot had us speed up and several protester boats were swamped when 100,000 tons of aircraft carrier went by at about 12-15 knots.

Another protest was when I was working on the border, the Doctors Without Borders group decided to protest, well, the fact that we HAVE a border, and decided to "interfere" with our inspection process. That did not last long, considering we all had arrest authority and were more than happy to use it. I only saw a few of them being led away in handcuffs, none of them made it to where I was working that day.

LOL.. Ok since my joke post seems to gone over everyone's heads... I was saying my protest (which didn't happen) was successful at shutting down a Chic Filet store on Sunday...... A day it was already closed. lmao..

I have been to one Chic Filet.. it was in a food court in a mall on Long Island. I think there is one in the Albany Airport but no body can go unless you are flying somewhere because you would have to go through security to get to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:

Were you there for the protest, or just picking up women?

Getting paid for doing my job, which I feel certain no one in this crowd was doing.

Oh, I’m sure some of them were getting paid to be there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
//LOL.. Ok since my joke post seems to gone over everyone's heads//

Sheesh...even I got the joke and I don't even eat at Chik-Fil-A...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
vecchia capra wrote:
orphious wrote:

LOL.. Ok since my joke post seems to gone over everyone's heads... I was saying my protest (which didn't happen) was successful at shutting down a Chic Filet store on Sunday...... A day it was already closed. lmao..

I have been to one Chic Filet.. it was in a food court in a mall on Long Island. I think there is one in the Albany Airport but no body can go unless you are flying somewhere because you would have to go through security to get to it.

Chick Filet, is that some kind of a cross between a steakhouse and a strip club?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
ACE wrote:

Glad to see that you admit to having no clue! I go to maybe one large protest every other year (more lately). I am a "fair-weather" activist, and largely add my voice at times of mass mobilization. Don't have the time/desire to do any more and am largely turned off by the militancy of the hard-core activists. Protests that I have attended included vigils at San Quentin, multiple peaceful protests against the Iraq War, gay rights marches, anti-apartheid marches, and recent protests against immigration detention. In almost every case I "backed the right horse". There is one really important maxim with protests:

You should apply here if you want to get paid. I'm sure there are many others.

https://crowdsondemand.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:

What I noticed was the type of person that was at the protest. The pro-abortion crowd was lead by a guy screaming "MY BODY", to which the crowd would then yell, "MY CHOICE." This guy looked disheveled, like he hadn't taken a shower in weeks and was twitching and jerking around violently as he yelled each prompt to the crowd.

The Pro-life crowed was lead by a guy on a megaphone shouting bible verses and wearing a $5 shirt with bible quotes all over it. the pro-life crowd was similar in dress and personal appearance to the pro-abortion crowd.

I often think that by the time a protest is seen as effective it is because public opinion has already changed to agree with the protesters. I think there are some times mass protests are effective.

As an example in 1989 the Romanian security forces tried to evict Laszlo Tokes from a Hungarian Reformed Church after he was very critical of the gov't. This was in Timisoara. Word got around and people started showing up and things got hot and it was the tipping point to oust Ceauseseu.

Those are high risk mass protests. If you don't get enough people showing up you are screwed.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - perhaps mildly different from what you're talking about, but I marched w/ the U of O grad students while they were on strike four-ish years ago. I was at OSU at the time and our grad student unions worked very closely together. The grad student unions are powerful on those campuses, and they won the strike.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally, when I see an organized protest, it makes me wonder if the people protesting realize they are just pawns.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you Publicly Protest? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
ACE wrote:

What I noticed was the type of person that was at the protest. The pro-abortion crowd was lead by a guy screaming "MY BODY", to which the crowd would then yell, "MY CHOICE." This guy looked disheveled, like he hadn't taken a shower in weeks and was twitching and jerking around violently as he yelled each prompt to the crowd.

The Pro-life crowed was lead by a guy on a megaphone shouting bible verses and wearing a $5 shirt with bible quotes all over it. the pro-life crowd was similar in dress and personal appearance to the pro-abortion crowd.

I often think that by the time a protest is seen as effective it is because public opinion has already changed to agree with the protesters. I think there are some times mass protests are effective.

As an example in 1989 the Romanian security forces tried to evict Laszlo Tokes from a Hungarian Reformed Church after he was very critical of the gov't. This was in Timisoara. Word got around and people started showing up and things got hot and it was the tipping point to oust Ceauseseu.

Those are high risk mass protests. If you don't get enough people showing up you are screwed.[/quote]

Remind me of the story when Putin was a KGB officer in East Berlin during the collapse of east Germany. After the wall collapsed people were trying to get into the local KGB office in Dresden. They were chased away. Many analysts believe that formed his intolerant behavior towards public protest/uprising and power in general.
Quote Reply

Prev Next