Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover
Quote | Reply
Hi all, so I know this topic has been discussed before and the tldr answer would usually be, yes the disc cover would be faster most of the time.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to put a disc cover on like I had on my old bike. So the old bike was a PR6 that was too big for me. Functional but too big ideally. I've read that the greatest benefit to discs is at higher speeds and I recently did the Eagleman course on my race setup (with cover)at 24.9mph

Now the new bike is a Speedmax cf with an aeria hydration setup on the front. My stack has come down 4cm and I also have a much better hip angle. I'd have to assume these body position changes will have a much greater aero and performance impact than the disc cover.

How much time savings are we talking here with the disc over a 70.3? Would I be negating the benefits of a better position with the arc1400 wheels and no cover?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is this even a question? Yes disc unless you are in Kona or doing an uphill TT
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the disc cover. It is going to save you minutes at that speed.

for around $115 dollars after shipping, its worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the sanity check. After the bike purchase I'm feeling frugal but I will definitely be picking it up then

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not according to Flo, Zipp or BBS.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Not according to Flo, Zipp or BBS.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/...her-Time-Savings.png

Thats not what their chart says

Mavic open pro -> disc over the course of an ironman @ 25 mph = 466 seconds

466 / 2 = 233 (half iron)

233 / 60 = 3.88 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well who the hell uses a Mavic open pro in a race? Shit, even my Grandma has Enve 7.8s on her grocery bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Well who the hell uses a Mavic open pro in a race? Shit, even my Grandma has Enve 7.8s on her grocery bike.

Hehehehehehe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I find a lot. Comparing a disk to a non aero wheel. Where are the deep wheels vs disk tests?

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to see a comparison done with a Enve 7.8 rear, both covered and uncovered. That would be a real useful test vs a Mavic Open Pro to Disc
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone want to lend me a wind tunnel?

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
I would love to see a comparison done with a Enve 7.8 rear, both covered and uncovered. That would be a real useful test vs a Mavic Open Pro to Disc

Flo 90 vs Flo Disc should get you close, and that's on Flo's website. Flo 90 saves 4:48 at 30mph over 180km, while the disk saves 5:19.

So I guess the cover is only worth 40 seconds?
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Flo 90 vs Flo Disc should get you close, and that's on Flo's website. Flo 90 saves 4:48 at 30mph over 180km, while the disk saves 5:19.

Do they have data for 25mph by chance? I can't imagine most AG athletes are getting remotely close to 30 mph over the entire course. Also, the cover may be worth only 40 seconds, but that's at a cost of roughly $100 (and about 10 minutes worth of labor). I doubt there are many aero gains that can be had for as cheap as that.
Last edited by: jhammond: May 22, 19 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Do they have data for 25mph by chance? I can't imagine most AG athletes are getting remotely close to 30 mph over the entire course. Also, the cover may be worth only 40 seconds, but that's at a cost of roughly $100 (and about 10 minutes worth of labor). I doubt there are many aero gains that can be had for as cheap as that.

The chart comparing the mavic to a disc suggests savings at 22mph were about 30% higher than at 30 mph. So at that speed you're probably saving in the ballpark of 1 minute.

I race with a 78mm rear wheel and have a Dyma disc cover on order, so I agree it's worth it, it just won't make you a rocketship.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
jhammond wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
g_lev wrote:

The chart comparing the mavic to a disc suggests savings at 22mph were about 30% higher than at 30 mph. So at that speed you're probably saving in the ballpark of 1 minute.

I race with a 78mm rear wheel and have a Dyma disc cover on order, so I agree it's worth it, it just won't make you a rocketship.

It also depends on how smoothly you can get the cover installed. With the typical warpage on mine, I figured the time savings were somewhere in between. Flo's 30 seconds in an IM or 15 in a 70.3 is a reasonable best-case estimate with a deep rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a new bike and can't decide if I should should put on another disc cover [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you end up 15 seconds away from your qualifying spot or the podium you are going to wish you had spent the $ and time on it.
Quote Reply