Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the specialized exos. I feel bad admitting it because they are so expensive. But they are a great Tri shoe for flying mounts and easy to get off. The material is also very comfortable. Looks like Lucy is racing in this shoe now, and I expect the other specialized pros to follow.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [rockchalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My feet measure 10.9375 inches without socks that would put me in a size 11 US or 44.5 Euro. Do you think that would be the right size?

rock-chalk wrote:
Unfortunately No. They're expensive but cycling shoes last forever. I got a team grass roots discount at my LBS but because the shoe is so new they we're not excited to discount them. If you buy them I'd consider going down a half size compared to other S-Works shoes. I normally wear a 44.5 in specialized but the toe box in these shoes is pretty generous and the 'fabric' they use gives your toes space to move. A 44 would have been better for me because my heel moves around a bit in these. But overall I agree that it's an exciting shoe for triathlon. I'd be interested to hear if others are using this shoe too.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
My feet measure 10.9375 inches without socks that would put me in a size 11 US or 44.5 Euro. Do you think that would be the right size?

rock-chalk wrote:
Unfortunately No. They're expensive but cycling shoes last forever. I got a team grass roots discount at my LBS but because the shoe is so new they we're not excited to discount them. If you buy them I'd consider going down a half size compared to other S-Works shoes. I normally wear a 44.5 in specialized but the toe box in these shoes is pretty generous and the 'fabric' they use gives your toes space to move. A 44 would have been better for me because my heel moves around a bit in these. But overall I agree that it's an exciting shoe for triathlon. I'd be interested to hear if others are using this shoe too.

Not sure if this helps but I went a half size down from Sidi (which I have multiple pairs of in 42).
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [scmbtrek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the information, although I may have to contact a vendor for sizing. I’ve never worn Sidi. I’m in LG’s and my feet have shrunk since I bought them. I used to be around 11.25” and now I’m below 11”. I guess I’m getting old.

scmbtrek wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

rock-chalk wrote:

Not sure if this helps but I went a half size down from Sidi (which I have multiple pairs of in 42).
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is absolutely the best way to go.

If you're worried about destroying 300 dollar shoes, get the cheaper version Thomas mentions. That's what I did.

I made a few mods to Thomas's post.

1) I leave the top holes open. I'm not running in the shoe.
2) I use speed laces but I start at the top (2nd hole) and then work my way to the bottom
3) To hide the plastic clip from the speed laces I put wind covers on the shoe. I've picked up this trick from some of the pros I'd seen who does this exact thing.

At first I wouldn't cut the tongue, but the first few times I had to stop, get of the bike, and put my shoes on cause I couldn't get them on while riding. With the tongue out, this shoe is super easy to put on while riding. I've also pretty much stripped the shoe down completely to make it light as possible. I don't have a sole in it. There's no tongue and I've cut just about everything off that isn't necessary.

But it gets the job done. I would post a picture, but it says it's too large.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i race in swork 6 lace ups with elastic laces.

there is absolutely no way i would even think about getting my foot in them off the bike. i have a hard enough time with them in translation. specialized sworks are extremely snug. i really can’t figure out how these pros are doing it.

for me, once they are on, to me, the feel great. i do have custom insoles as well.

that said, for me, i like the setup. i slip my socks on and fight my shoes on in T1 and i trot to the bike mount where i can either stop and mount or attempt a flying mount.

i personally havnt found the benefit of possibly not having my shoes sorted for the bike leg to outweigh the seconds difference i may gain with the fancy flying barefoot mounts.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sworks 7 has a larger toe box fyi.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
The Sworks 7 has a larger toe box fyi.
the “choke point” for me is the ankle area and mid foot area i guess you could say. they are just tight shoes. even loosing up my elasti bands it’s still tight.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced both road and Tri in road shoes and Tri shoes. The only time I noticed an on bike performance difference is at high power/high cadence. The road shoe is much better from a stay put on your foot and comfort standpoint.

To the OP, I use S-Works Trivents and Trouch 3.0 shoes. If you are not doing a flying mount/dismount and wearing socks then there is no difference. Road shoes do not go on a bare wet foot very easily. Tri shoes do. I suppose it is possible to do a flying mount/dismount in a road shoe, I just can't see doing it safely.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
This is absolutely the best way to go.

If you're worried about destroying 300 dollar shoes, get the cheaper version Thomas mentions. That's what I did.

I made a few mods to Thomas's post.

1) I leave the top holes open. I'm not running in the shoe.
2) I use speed laces but I start at the top (2nd hole) and then work my way to the bottom
3) To hide the plastic clip from the speed laces I put wind covers on the shoe. I've picked up this trick from some of the pros I'd seen who does this exact thing.

At first I wouldn't cut the tongue, but the first few times I had to stop, get of the bike, and put my shoes on cause I couldn't get them on while riding. With the tongue out, this shoe is super easy to put on while riding. I've also pretty much stripped the shoe down completely to make it light as possible. I don't have a sole in it. There's no tongue and I've cut just about everything off that isn't necessary.

But it gets the job done. I would post a picture, but it says it's too large.

No sole in it? You have some pretty calloused feet??? ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next