Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss
Quote | Reply
I got down to 5’8.5” 146.5lbs this offseason and noticed I’m way more cold sensitive. At the same time I’m much more heat tolerant. Coupled with 2-3 post workout sauna sessions per week and it can really change your physiology.

I keep my house temperature at 76F in the summer. We’re already in the upper 80’s and low 90’s in Kentucky. It’s a big difference in temperature from outside, so going lower with the A/C is too much. A co-worker (overweight) had the office at 68F this morning. High’s only 76F today. By lunch I had goosebumps and was freezing. Turning it to 70F has helped immensely.

A few years ago I finished a race with a friend. It was 84F on the beach and she had finished Steelhead. She was wearing a black hoodie in full sun. I thought WTF! Now I can relate. Does anyone else have this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done on the backdoor brag.

I've had this problem in the past, but not recently. Back to the ice cream...
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol! It really wasn’t intended as a BDB, although I knew such a response was coming.

edbikebabe wrote:
Well done on the backdoor brag.

I've had this problem in the past, but not recently. Back to the ice cream...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worst part is by far getting into the pool. The locker room feels colder, getting out of the shower is a nightmare, being on deck feels like you're north of the wall (due to said shower) and it takes a lot longer to get warm once you start swimming. For me it was close to unbearable at 172-176. At 180 I don't notice it at all. If I ever get good in tri I will probably try to get down again but life is better as a fatty. Or at least pool life is.

Can attest to all the other things too. Being cold all the time just sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also noticed that as well when the body fat goes down for race prep.
My manager turns the AC on when it's 50 outside... and the vents blow right on my desk. I have a hoodie I will wear in the middle of July and August at my desk, but it's nice when I do runs and rides over lunch and it's 90+ outside full sun...

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who remembers the Simpsons episode where Homer tries to gain more weight so he can qualify for obesity disability accommodations at work (like working from home, where he's thrilled to discover he can triple his productivity by just typing 'Y' at the computer prompt instead of the full 'YES')...?

Marge ends up having to sit him down for a Pros/Cons debate about the effects on his health, and one of his 'Pro' responses is that he's more drought & famine-resistant ~ that still cracks me up every time. So, uh, there's that to be said for being fat besides not needing to wear a sweatshirt indoors...
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool heater went out a few weeks back and I nearly went hypothermic during a swim. I had 2,500 yards on tap. Stopped at 1,800 and had goosebumps head to toe. Then I started to shiver. I spent 10 minutes in the sauna and hot shower before I could finish the final 700 yards.

Schnellinger wrote:
Worst part is by far getting into the pool. The locker room feels colder, getting out of the shower is a nightmare, being on deck feels like you're north of the wall (due to said shower) and it takes a lot longer to get warm once you start swimming. For me it was close to unbearable at 172-176. At 180 I don't notice it at all. If I ever get good in tri I will probably try to get down again but life is better as a fatty. Or at least pool life is.

Can attest to all the other things too. Being cold all the time just sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to D'Wife I'm always cold because "You've got no fucking insulation, you skinny little shit"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful. When I got that skinny, that's also when my body decided it had enough of that bullsh*t and decided to throw vitiligo at me as an autoimmune stress response. If you don't stop yourself, your body will do it for you in ways you won't like.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m really happy to stay where I’m at, so I think I’ll be fine. I just notice I used to get overheated easily and now it’s reversed. Overall, I feel a lot better and I’m my performance is improved as well.

ZenTriBrett wrote:
Be careful. When I got that skinny, that's also when my body decided it had enough of that bullsh*t and decided to throw vitiligo at me as an autoimmune stress response. If you don't stop yourself, your body will do it for you in ways you won't like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm like you, so you seem normal to me. Where I really notice it is when I go for a "cool down" swim after a bike or a run while my body temperature is high. The pool water, which doesn't change temperature, feels about 5 degrees colder than when I just go for a swim.

I keep a sweater or another layer in the car for restaurants, movies, etc.

It's a problem some people would like to have. Luckily I have a place in Florida.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine says the same lol! Very common problem for sure! I freeze my ass off and love the heat. I am 6"2 and 170 lbs but lean out a few more pounds when getting close to race time. I have to carry a thin pull over even in Texas since they always way over due the AC es[ecially in the Summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's perfectly normal. I'm a male 5'8, 130lb and body fat is at 4.9%. I set my house at 84 degree in Texas summer. I never run or ride outside until late April and all the workout is done out door. I got hypothermia in Galveston 70.3 last year. When it's 110, I'm the only person running and cycling outside. I can go on forever and feel so happy!!!! I've never seen anyone who's more miserable than me in cold temp. I told my family to cremate me when I die. I don't want to be buried in cold earth.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Sensitivity from Weight Loss [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1Wavemaker wrote:
Mine says the same lol! Very common problem for sure! I freeze my ass off and love the heat. I am 6"2 and 170 lbs but lean out a few more pounds when getting close to race time. I have to carry a thin pull over even in Texas since they always way over due the AC es[ecially in the Summer.

I identify as a small, relatively hairless mammal with a high metabolism

I should probably live in the desert, not South Jersey

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different but the same sort of...

I remember when I was overweight that I was always the first person to bust out sweating when others weren't. Places like hustling through an airport, on the dance floor in a bar.... you get the idea.

When I got "skinny" this stopped. Now I see this happening to other folks and I am always thinking thank goodness I finally got a grip on my weight.
Quote Reply