Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sarasota cycling
Quote | Reply
Have to be in Sarasota for 4-5 in early June. Was thinking of bringing my bike. Any places to do some longer rides. I see Rt 41 going south but not sure if it's okay to ride on?
Quote Reply
Re: Sarasota cycling [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm up in St Pete but I used to live in Sarasota as a youngster. Back then US41 was a disaster no matter what your mode of travel and I'm sure it's exponentially worse now. Hopefully some Sarasota locals can be more informative. If you are bringing your TT bike it kind of narrows down the acceptable places. If you don't find what you need you can always drive across the Skyway to the Ft Desoto area in south Pinellas County which is my go to TT bike trip.

Good luck!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no local but been to SW FL many times including siesta key. I would imagine riding on 41 being as terrifying an experience that a human being could possibly have.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarasota cycling [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be spending a lot of time at the Nathanial Benderson Park. Says they have a 3.5 mile running loop so could ride on that. Not sure if it gets busy with runners though. Don't want to be weaving in and out of people. May end up leaving the bike at home and just running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Locals would have to weigh in on NB park. I never went unfortunately. Honestly I think there could be some good roads to ride on down there...just not 41
Quote Reply
Re: Sarasota cycling [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a decent amount down there, just north of Benderson. If you go east of I-75 (the highway right next to the park), you can ride pretty easily through Lakewood ranch and the surrounding areas. I ride up to Lake Manatee State Park on SR64 pretty frequently. Not a ton of cars, but they are hauling ass at times. SR70 has a big bike lane as you head further east and the road surface is pretty good. Check with Village Idiots bike shop in downtown Lakewood Ranch for group ride details. They have a few rides a week.
Or, I would offer up a second on St. Pete. I live in St Pete and love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benderson fine for biking and running. If real busy with walker runners (doubtful) unless a Saturday race. ,there is perimeter road of 3.6 miles with dedicated bike lane on Cattleman about 1.3 of the 3.6. (Can add 1 mile out and back on Athletes Dr for 4.6) There is gravel path for runners too and a 2000 meter straight asphalt path right next to lake. Google map and you will see distinct roads and paths. YouTube Nathan benderson and some drone movies abound. The ITU has races at benderson too....even with rowing events paths pretty clear and hot weather discourages many there from 10 am to 4pm. Though hot, generally always 8-15 mph breezes. If staying fairly close by, several roads have dedicated bike paths which are pretty debris free.
Last edited by: tyrod1: May 20, 19 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When traveling, I am finding the Strava Global Heatmap helpful in seeing where people ride, run, swim, row for training.

Here's Sarasota - https://www.strava.com/...58/27.28878/hot/ride

That plus Google Maps using the "bike" option seems to work for me while creating route options.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sarasota resident here. I wouldn't recommend Rt 41. As previously mentioned, Nathan Benderson Park is an option, they have a bike lane that circles the lake, the path is an option but there will be a lot of walkers/joggers so if you plan on going hard I'd avoid the path. Starting at the Publix on the corner of Clark and Honore and heading south down Honore to Venice and back is a decent route. There are also some good rides east of I75 out of Lakewood Ranch just north of Sarasota in Manatee Co. There are group rides heading out of there pretty regularly, called "Village Idiots" ride. Further south, Real Bikes in Venice has a ride every Saturday morning. Check with local shops Village Bikes, Endurance House, Real Bikes Venice.
Last edited by: crujones#33: May 21, 19 7:04
Quote Reply