Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Legs cramping off the bike
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

In the last two 70.3s I've done, in the first 1/2 mile coming off of the bike either my quads or my hammys have also fully locked up. In one race, I was able to slow my pace and slowly loosen them up, but in this last race my quads almost complete locked up and it took a couple minutes to stretch them out before I was able to run again. Both races were solidly hotter than my training, but in both races I was able to finish the run without cramping again. Both bike and run sections were hilly and challenging. I do lots of brick workouts, but the transitions are never as fast as in the race (due to obvious logistical issues).

I cannot tell if this is a simple electrolyte issue and I need to change my fueling for the bike. Or if I'm not prepping my legs in the last bit of the bike for a quick transition to running. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Legs cramping off the bike [TRISandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, cramping is more of a sign of pushing too hard coupled with a sodium deficiency. I'd guess that you were dehydrated and pushed too hard on the hills
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been battling this for years. Ive tried every 'nutritional / electrolyte / pickle juice' trick in the book. Only thing that has ever worked has been to force myself to push way easier on the bike. Literally had to feel easy on the bike the whole time. Thats the only time I made it through a 70.3 run without leg cramps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRISandy wrote:
Hey everyone,

In the last two 70.3s I've done, in the first 1/2 mile coming off of the bike either my quads or my hammys have also fully locked up. In one race, I was able to slow my pace and slowly loosen them up, but in this last race my quads almost complete locked up and it took a couple minutes to stretch them out before I was able to run again. Both races were solidly hotter than my training, but in both races I was able to finish the run without cramping again. Both bike and run sections were hilly and challenging. I do lots of brick workouts, but the transitions are never as fast as in the race (due to obvious logistical issues).

I cannot tell if this is a simple electrolyte issue and I need to change my fueling for the bike. Or if I'm not prepping my legs in the last bit of the bike for a quick transition to running. Thoughts?

This may not be relevant to your situation. I'm a heavy sweater and I sweat really salty. I was experiencing some severe cramping in my quads and calves after both a swim and bike (in training) about a year ago, and I kept thinking it was either dehydration or electrolyte loss. I'm now almost entirely certain that I was overhydrating and causing a bit of hyponatremia. I'm not nearly as aggressive now about pushing fluids and I've not experienced cramping since.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Legs cramping off the bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have exact same problem but worse than yours. Have you tried HotShot or Cramsaway?
After taking them, I don't have the problem anymore.
I buy a box(dozen) of HotShot every so often and make sure it's available all the time.
Crampsaway is expensive so I use it as a last resort. I also carry mustard packets too and they work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have the same problem until I started riding within my abilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Sandy!

This is what led to my DNF at IM Texas in 2014. Legs locked up so bad I was on the ground for 30 minutes and didn't stop til I got fluids in the med tent.

Combo of issues.
  • Dehydration - the tested my mineral levels and they were fine, simply dehydrated
  • I tend to suffer exercise induced muscle cramps. The longer you go and keep firing the muscles, the bigger the risk of locking up. Can be mitigated with training and supplements.
  • I use Hot Shot (https://amzn.to/2VOnb64) before the swim, T1 and on the bike for 703 to 140.6 distance. I cut it off and switch to Gatorlyte (https://amzn.to/2YB1oMc) in my drink about an hour before T2 to avoid GI issues from Hot Shot.

Since then fitness is my only problem reaching my goals. ;)

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Legs cramping off the bike [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I used to have the same problem until I started riding within my abilities.

Yep.

I've also tried the hotshots mentioned in the other posts. They sent me a bunch of them for free when they were in Beta. Never did a thing for me, had some of the worst race cramps ever while using it..
Quote Reply
Re: Legs cramping off the bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also take magnesium supplement pills everyday. You should look into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Magnesium , potassium and Vitamin C … have to take all 3 for it to work.
Quote Reply
Re: Legs cramping off the bike [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep testing your power limits on brick workouts up to the point of failure, then back it down a little. So if you feel great at 180 watts, but you can’t run off the bike at 200watts, back it down to 190. Keep track of what works and what fails.

If I am expecting an extra hot day, I put a scoop of salt in my water bottles to help with cramping too.
Quote Reply
Re: Legs cramping off the bike [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am an expert in this area.
There were times I would cramp so badly on the bike I would seriously fall off; the marathon would be a death march.

You need to figure out your nutrition and salt.
I have found that a mix of pickle juice and BASE salt will resolve this issue. But it is a process of trial and error.

Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Legs cramping off the bike [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would tend to agree with you here...I sometimes have this issue in shorter course when nutrition played no factor...just firing the legs too hard for too long.
Quote Reply