Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St George 70.3 belated race recap - M45-49 5:34:28 66th out of 291
Quote | Reply
A compressed version - trained a bunch, but for most part the race did not go as well as I had hoped.

Pre-race - did not hydrate sufficiently, got sunburnt, had to deal with the last minute car emergency (a nail in the tire). Spent too much time doing the touristy stuff.

Swim - could not find my rhythm, so it was a very mediocre showing - 40 mins
Bike - climbed well, but the dumb choice of gearing, some technical issues and perhaps some tactical mistakes made it much worse than what it could have been - 3:02
Run - no issues besides the sore right eye, cruised through, had lots of fun once relaxed - 1:40

Loved the venue, would love to go back, might have to hunt for the worlds spot next year, or wait til 2022. Not sure if I want to try an early season full there in 2020.

The full writeup can be found here - enjoy!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: May 19, 19 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 belated race recap - M45-49 5:34:28 66th out of 291 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice read. Would love to do that race but the cold water makes it a non starter for me.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 belated race recap - M45-49 5:34:28 66th out of 291 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff, that's a solid run! Do you think you may have needed more pool/OWS training time in lieu of Vasa to get more comfortable on the swim? I myself find that doing a bunch of hard tempo 200s-400s type workouts with lots of sighting at intensity in the pool is essential for getting to race day to be able to get into a groove, otherwise the sighting and chop makes me less comfortable about going as hard as I like.
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 belated race recap - M45-49 5:34:28 66th out of 291 [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the pool/ows question is sort of the hardest one to answer. I did log at least 1 long pool session per week from March onward. I surfed for many years in SoCal. The thing is that Vasa gave me this awesome consistency in the pool when I do 100/200s... but I struggled in the lake swims the last 4 races. It is the damnedest thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you practice sighting on those pre-race swims? Not just 'a little', but like race-condition sighting? That was definitely the single biggest thing that enabled me to translate my pool swim performance to OWS (I have poor OWS access, else that would obviously be the best practice method.)
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 belated race recap - M45-49 5:34:28 66th out of 291 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water isn't that cold, I did it last year. As long as you have a wetsuit the swim in St. George is beautiful. I would reckon that the St. George swim course is my favorite swim of any race that I've done.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 belated race recap - M45-49 5:34:28 66th out of 291 [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked it lot. Gotta love the triangular courses!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beat me by 4 minutes! Was a great race, and I enjoyed it. If you some some folk in Alaska kits, ‘twas I (or one of my friends). Will say for sure: won’t be doing the full. F that nonsense!
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 belated race recap - M45-49 5:34:28 66th out of 291 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Beat me by 4 minutes! Was a great race, and I enjoyed it. If you some some folk in Alaska kits, ‘twas I (or one of my friends). Will say for sure: won’t be doing the full. F that nonsense!

I signed up for the full as soon as it opened for Tri Clubs. I missed it in 2012 and have been kicking myself ever since. I have done the IMSTG 70.3 four times and I think doing this as a full would be epic. Definitely not the place to go after PR's but an incredible challenge. And yes, the Sand Hollow swim is even prettier than the Lake Tahoe swim or any other OWS I have done.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply