Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone acclimatise to heat just in case?
Quote | Reply
If that isn't an oxymoron. But you know what I mean.

I was probably a little slow at a recent race just because it was the warmest day of the year so far. The week before was more mild so it's a bit of a lottery. No big deal. A friend just struggled in a big city destination marathon and was quite a bit slower than normal which they put down to it being warmer than expected.

It seems to me that in spring you often don't know when it will start getting hot and, because you are coming out of winter, you won't be adapted to it. I think a week or two adaptation is recommended but I don't really trust a weather forecast a week out. Certainly it was wrong for my recent run a week out. These aren't hot temperatures in the big scale of things. Once it's summer we probably wouldn't even think about the same temp. So, for me, it's a spring specific question.

My guess is if you have a spring A race there is an argument for acclimatising to heat just in case. But does anyone actually do that? Is there a down side to doing that and then getting a colder day? Maybe you could start about 10 days out and then just stop if 3 or 4 days out the forecast is mild? Just interested in what people do.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone acclimatise to heat just in case? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Is there a down side to doing that and then getting a colder day?

Just the opposite according to the summary of research relayed here by the TR guys. There's performance benefit at any temp.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am doing it now for a race in 2 weeks. Started 2 weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will even use sauna and hot turbo sessions before the cold Norseman just to increase performance.

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Last edited by: Allanhov: May 19, 19 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone acclimatise to heat just in case? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Just the opposite according to the summary of research relayed here by the TR guys. There's performance benefit at any temp.

Good to know. Glad I asked. Thanks people.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone acclimatise to heat just in case? [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allanhov wrote:
I will even use sauna and hot turbo sessions before the cold Norseman just to increase performance.

Was there not some research a while back to show that heat training could result in adaptiation similar to training at higher intensity but at lower forces etc. So recovery should be easier from the heat sessions. I think it works really well doing hot treadmill running as you get to the same physiological adaptation vs running fast in cool weather, but with less mechanical force on the muscles/tendons/joints.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone acclimatise to heat just in case? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Allanhov wrote:

Was there not some research a while back to show that heat training could result in adaptiation similar to training at higher intensity but at lower forces etc. So recovery should be easier from the heat sessions. I think it works really well doing hot treadmill running as you get to the same physiological adaptation vs running fast in cool weather, but with less mechanical force on the muscles/tendons/joints.

There was a research project finding that heat training did yield same results as altitude training. The paper has not been published yet, but they revealed that the results of 5 weeks heat training was similar to 4 weeks training at 3000m. Ref an article in the Norwegian media NRK - https://www.nrk.no/...hoy-varme-1.14503420

I haven't done it enough to say I have a good protocol for it, but towards Ironman Texas I did it about 3-4 times each week with a combination of sauna/steam room after sessions and doing turbo sessions with the fan turned off. Note that I did the heat training on the low/mid intensity sessions (or the first half of a hard session) to keep my quality high on the high intensity sessions.

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone acclimatise to heat just in case? [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allanhov wrote:
There was a research project finding that heat training did yield same results as altitude training. The paper has not been published yet, but they revealed that the results of 5 weeks heat training was similar to 4 weeks training at 3000m.

What if you do heat and altitude at the same time?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone acclimatise to heat just in case? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Allanhov wrote:
There was a research project finding that heat training did yield same results as altitude training. The paper has not been published yet, but they revealed that the results of 5 weeks heat training was similar to 4 weeks training at 3000m.

What if you do heat and altitude at the same time?

Former should help with expansion of blood plasma, latter with Red Blood Cell generation. Both you get to higher physiological performance under lower mechanical load.

But drawback is when you get down to sea level and do a cool race you can push higher mechanical load...well until you can't because, especially on the run, you have not done enough training with that level of muscle forces and then your quads turn into wood. This is why train low, live high....or train cool live hot would be a somewhat equivalent analogy. For the entire summer, I turn on my heater full blast on the way to workouts for the sauna effect. Usually after workouts I don't just because I don't want to return to work totally soaking. But on a 32C day, jacking up the car heater and you got sauna often. It worked really well the years I raced in Kona and St. Croix (in addition to some trainer sessions with no fan).
Quote Reply