Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kudos to Maine [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I understand completely. When I went to Eastern Michigan we were the Hurons. Then they changed the name to the Eagles. Needless to say they've never gotten a donation from me.

From one bird to another? Man that's some hardcore ornithology
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I live in the last district in Maine to remove our Indian mascot, and I worked on getting this bill passed. The local tribes had asked the district to cease and desist for years. This was a very positive step here.
I thought you were in flyover country

OK during the academic calendar, ME in the summer

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
On this we can agree to disagree. I prefer re-education, over banishment.

The research is VERY clear that Native American mascots hamper children's intellectual and social development

And you jumped the shark. Calling Shenanigans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
On this we can agree to disagree. I prefer re-education, over banishment.

No one is being banished. The indigenous people still live in the community, and they're happy that they will no longer be stereotyped. No amount of education would, in their opinion, make up for the stereotypical mascot we had, and that's why it had to go. We're also working on the district's adherence to the law to educate students about Native Americans. THEY are the people being stereotyped - THEY get to choose. People are not mascots; it is dehumanizing to put them at the same level as dogs etc.

The research is VERY clear that Native American mascots hamper children's intellectual and social development - the American Psychological Association, American Sociological Association, and other professional bodies have done extensive lit reviews and issued position statements to that effect. Kids grow up with stereotypical images of Native Americans.

Would it be ok with you to have the Jews be a school mascot? The N******? I suspect not. The same is true here.

You seem to be late to the party... I WANT THE FIGHTING WHITIES.. I'll settle for the FIGHTING Europeans though.

I know your talking H.S. and we were talking College which to me is 2 very different things.

Your post either through ignorance or purpose twists some of my words and meanings, and I don't feel like having a debate on this with you now.

So as I said I will agree to disagree. -- I can tell you far more people in this area knew of and about the Hurons when Eastern Michigan was the Hurons, now there the .. eagles/falcons I don't know but the Tribe lost a lot of attention and free publicity. The Chippewa nation, seems to be doing a good job, the University cracked down years ago on all the things your talking about, and got with the tribal elders to make it a positive for all. There is no reason ZERO why a mascot should be viewed as a negative thing, they are celebrated. Your right, I cant imagine a school using ethnicity as a mascot.

Notre Dame -- FIGHTING IRISH
Mich. State Univ -- SPARTANS
Case Western Reserve Univ -- SPARTANS
UCLA -- TROJANS
Oh I am sure there will be other folks to add more so sure you want the Jews to be a mascot no problem.. How about the Rolling Rabbi's LOVE IT. Maybe someone want the Fondeling Priest.. er well maybe not..

ah shit now you got me Googling
New York Knicks -- short for Knickerbockers refers to dutch settlers of New York
OH NO there is the Allen Americans in Texas.. we all should be offend.. I hear these days they all put on Orange wigs and grab some... before games.

And everyone in Houston is offended by the Texans
Lets all be glad there are not any teams called the Yankees now that would really piss off us Northerners.
Then there are the Americans in Rochester New York

So as not to neglect our Moose Loving, Maple syrup cartel friends to the North are you offended by the Canadians from Montreal (and no I don't mean offended by their hockey skills or lack there off)

Lets all raise a pitchfork against the Boston Celtics.. While we are at it.

Hmm is the Pharaohs offensive (Egyptian football team)

We also have the Brooklyn Italians

Oh shit now I have to be offended as I am a descendant from this group.. the Vikings.

The England Saxons will be looking for a new mascot in Rugby next year.

In California of all places we have the "Mighty Arabs"

California also has the Athenians Well save myself if you want a list of teams derived from Greeks and Romans just go here;
https://en.wikipedia.org/...fter_Greek_antiquity

Another Michigan school the Albion Britons

or the Ragin' Cajun's of Louisiana

then there are the Dutchman.. and 2 Flying Dutchman.
Lots of Gaels also.. had to google what they are

OH my the list of Fighting Scots and Highlanders is just way to long to get into

don't forget the Wayne State Tartans.. and others who use that. (actually I think Wayne state may have changed LOL they did to.. The Warriors )

I kinda like the Idaho Vandals

Spartans got their own page

anyhow.. enough fun ..

Oh I know lavander room and all but here is the source of my new found knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...eam_and_mascot_names

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping you would chime in, but boy, little did I know. Good for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Our state has a law requiring Native American history to be taught, but it hasn't been happening in many districts. Having an "Indian" mascot doesn't remove history - it removes stereotypes. My town had people at sports games with "scalp towels" and other "Indian" trinkets that were not even representative of tribes in this area. Removing the stereotypical stuff and doing a better job of teaching the history will keep the knowledge and history alive, and will do a much better job of it than the loinclothed image on the high school wall.

Fortunately, you're not the one I have to convince - the legislature and senate were - and we did it. I was there for the signing on Thursday.

So instead of teaching the to respect the tribe and there history, and bringing in people from the tribe and working together, and discipling people for inappropriate behavior.

Its better to just change the mascot and try to teach them yourself, when they have no reason to care anymore? Sorry I just don't see how removing a tribe as a mascot is a good thing.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
"Maine's Governor has signed a bill making the state the first to prohibit public school, colleges and universities from using Native American symbols as mascots"

https://www.cnn.com/...ve-american-mascots/

a much longer shot but wouldn't mind Washington to follow.

The team originated as the Boston Braves, based in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1932, under the ownership of George Preston Marshall.[8] At the time the team played in Braves Field, home of the Boston Braves baseball team in the National League. The following year, the club moved to Fenway Park, home of the American League's Boston Red Sox, whereupon owners changed the team's name to "Boston Redskins." To round out the change, Marshall hired William "Lone Star" Dietz, who was thought to be part Sioux, as the team's head coach.[9] However, Boston wasn't much of a football town at the time and the team had difficulty drawing fans.
The Redskins relocated south from New England after five years to the national capital of Washington, D.C...

Sad... My daughter goes to Central Michigan Univ. The Chippewas.. named after a local tribe. The tribe is very involved with the university, they hold events throughout the school year. The kids are educated about appropriate and inappropriate face painting, and hand gestures. Its a great relationship and gets more people to learn about the first residents of those lands.

Its a Maine business.
from the article:
"While Indian mascots were often originally chosen to recognize and honor a school's unique connection to Native American communities in Maine, we have heard clearly and unequivocally from Maine tribes that they are a source of pain and anguish,"

"Ambassador Maulian Dana of the Penobscot Nation said she has been fighting to change Native American mascots since she was a teenager."

Really its not a Maine thing, it's a generation / loudest voice thing. It just takes one vocal group, to get the whole thing thrown out, even if the silent majority or previous generations approved. Once there gone, there will be no going back. So over time, the vocal anti-Native American mascot crowd will get there where and even the schools that honored their traditions, will move on. I truly wonder who / what is really behind the movement, the long term play really is the removal of native american knowledge/ history in front of people.

I get eliminating the Chiefs / Redskins / Warriors they are generic terms, but Tribal names seem like a positive thing.. Really how much in free advertisements are the tribes getting.

I personally don't see a problem with names like Warries or Braves but Redskins could be a topic for discussion. Just saying.

let me tell you something. One of the major crossing of the Hudson River in NY is the Tappan Zee Bridge. The name is derived from Indian and Dutch origin. Tappan was an Indian tribe and Zee is a Dutch word for large body of water. There are also towns called Tappan and Old Tappan in the area. A new bridge was recently built to replace the old one. Gov. Andrew Cuomo pushed for it against lots of criticism. It is a success story, imo. He decided and successfully passed it, that the bridge will be renamed Governor Mario Cuomo (GMC) bridge (after his late father that was a governor of NY). That caused a lot of uproar in the area as people wanted the name to still be the same or The New Tappan Zee Bridge. That is just to show you the some of such intiatives starts from the top, regardless of people wishes.
The funny part is that signs east of the river call it the GMC bridge and sings on the west side (going east) still have it as the Tappan Zee Bridge. But that is probably because a lot of cars from out of state are using the bridge east bound.
Last edited by: b4itwascold: May 19, 19 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
JD21 wrote:
Next will be the important ban on using animals as mascots.

The San Francisco Soy Boys

Minnesota Vegans

LA Gluten Frees

That has a nice ring to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
Duffy wrote:
JD21 wrote:
Next will be the important ban on using animals as mascots.

The San Francisco Soy Boys

Minnesota Vegans

LA Gluten Frees

That has a nice ring to it.

LA Fake Tits was taken.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I don't understand.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand.

He doesn’t believe you on that point.

He’s calling BS.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand.

He’s calling BS.

https://www.apa.org/...urces/indian-mascots
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand.

He’s calling BS.

That says it hampers American Indian children.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand.

He’s calling BS.

That says it hampers American Indian children.

Correct. I thought that's what DTC reffered to. If not, than we need her to clarify.
Last edited by: b4itwascold: May 20, 19 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Our state has a law requiring Native American history to be taught, but it hasn't been happening in many districts. Having an "Indian" mascot doesn't remove history - it removes stereotypes. My town had people at sports games with "scalp towels" and other "Indian" trinkets that were not even representative of tribes in this area. Removing the stereotypical stuff and doing a better job of teaching the history will keep the knowledge and history alive, and will do a much better job of it than the loinclothed image on the high school wall.

Fortunately, you're not the one I have to convince - the legislature and senate were - and we did it. I was there for the signing on Thursday.
So instead of teaching the to respect the tribe and there history, and bringing in people from the tribe and working together, and discipling people for inappropriate behavior.

Its better to just change the mascot and try to teach them yourself, when they have no reason to care anymore? Sorry I just don't see how removing a tribe as a mascot is a good thing.

The tribes said that they would feel respected by removing the mascot and increasing curricular attention to local indigenous history.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

The tribes said that they would feel respected by removing the mascot and increasing curricular attention to local indigenous history.

Great, but your talking specific's no reason to ban ALL usage's for all. The individual school and tribe should be able to make that desicison, no reason for the state to make a ruling effecting all Public Univ, colleges, H.S. etc just for one H.S.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad my school's mascot is safe from all this PC stuff...

Go Beavers!
Quote Reply

Prev Next