Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would You shave down for 3 seconds ? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is the best line I have heard in a long time about getting yourself ready for competition.... Thanks

Honor yourself and others by showing your best form!
Quote Reply
Re: Would You shave down for 3 seconds ? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
When I read the post title I thought that I would have cut off my ears and hair if I could have shaved 3 seconds off my 50 free in college." I could have been a contender" I am not sure I would do the whole body shave for Masters, because I never thought of Masters Nats as a big deal. But if you do think it is a big deal, shaving is all part of the psych in giving a 100% effort for something you have trained for. I would probably do it if that is what you think.

Aside from masters worlds, if nats is no big deal, then what is a bigger deal in swimming for old farts than nationals?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Would You shave down for 3 seconds ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all on this thread. 1500m done and 29 second PB. I guess the Mark Spitz gorilla man look is slow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks to all on this thread. 1500m done and 29 second PB. I guess the Mark Spitz gorilla man look is slow

AWESOME! Congratulations Dev!!
Quote Reply
Re: Would You shave down for 3 seconds ? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aside from masters worlds,//

But is masters worlds really that big a deal, I really dont know, have never been. And a lot of people I have swam with over the years, many national champions, have never been either. is it similar to the olympics and NCAA's? The games get the fastest swims of the 4 year cycle, but the NCAA's is usually a deeper and harder to qualify meet? Maybe I should go sometime, have to be a nice trip for the family too..
Quote Reply
Re: Would You shave down for 3 seconds ? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went in 2014 when they were in Montreal. It was a bigger deal than our nationals. It was huge, I think 6000 swimmers were there, approximately? It’s the only masters meet I’ve been to that had you go into a ready room (well, tent actually since it was outdoors ) before you swam. People travelled to the meet from the US, South America, Europe, Asia. So yeah, it’s a relatively big deal, IMO. And lots of fast swims.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Dev. This kind of Q&A with a posted result makes reading ST well worth it. Thank you for your efforts.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Never did the full body shave down for any sport. I have Cdn Masters Swim nationals in a week that i have been "training for" for 11 months since being run over by a bus last June. I have gradually improved my body strength and actually surpassed all of my times from before the accident and right now I am 3 seconds off my 200 fly and 1500 free and 6 seconds off my 400IM target that I actually set right after my first swim nationals last year....then I got run over by a bus a month later in a bike crash. These times are my main athletic goals for the year. Guys in the fish thread know roughly how hard I have been working.

But as I am a "slow" masters swimmer, I feel it would be a poser move to shave down. But if its really worth even a second on 200m it gives me a better chance at my year long goals and if I can break them it will be a real personal achievement.

So what's it worth? I kind of feel that I need to be swimming as fast as "real" shaved down swimmers to step up to this level of seriousness.

Just Do it

I lost state championship 40k last year by 2 seconds. Is a bit of arm hair worth being second place forever?

My wife laughed when she saw me using her razor in the shower, and then started giving me tips

Besides the awkwardness of feeling silky smooth legs the first few days, and then the prickles from hair growing back a week later,,, it’s all good

I might actually keep doing it =P
Quote Reply
Re: Would You shave down for 3 seconds ? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello mvenneta and All,

https://www.news.com.au/...67bcc2eb7eb4014c4039

You might think one’s husband going south of the border with a shaver is just the calling card of the modern man, but my husband went WAAAAY south. Deep south. He bypassed his Mississippi-nis and found himself knee deep in the patchy thicket of lower limb undergrowth. The completely unobjectionable man mane of leg hair that distinguishes mankind from salamander.

He plucked up the courage to do this while I was interstate for the weekend. It was like he knew I was going to get myself into a lather about it. Probably because he’d mentioned in passing that he was considering it several times in the preceding months, and each time he said it, I got myself into a lather about it. It’s not rocket surgery, buddy!

He’ll tell you it’s because he’s a “cyclist”.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next