Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless tires
Quote | Reply
Still thinking over Tubeless tire set up (by bontrager ) or straight clincher or glue-ons for the only purpose of changing a flat and time spent if I did flat. I am partial to my glued on tires if I have another one that was glued the night prior so it was a little slick and slide on the rim better. However the ride seems better on my tubeless but if I ever flatted on a tubeless I feel there would be time wasted vs the glue on set up. As far as the clinchers I feel that I would need to carry a tube and a tire in case the tire was not rideable. I’d hate for months of IM training go down the drain for a DNF bc of mechanicals and is always in the forefront of my mind when it comes to IM races. 🤔 Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tires [Aloha53d1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as rolling resistance, the top tubeless tires are the best. You are less likely to get a flat, but they are much trickier to set up. I've had them get unseeded in flying to a race and then have to put a tube in because I couldn't get them re-seeded with my travel pump.
The two advantages worthwhile in tubulars are weight and the ability to safely ride out a flat. The hassle is just not worth it for me.
Until road tubeless technology improves and becomes the norm, I'll be running clinchers with tubes. The latest Vittoria Corsa tires or Continental GP5000 with latex tubes seem to be the best setups for most races.
I just bring a flat kit with patches to boot a tire if I get a blowout. It might be a bit riskier, but totally destroying a tire is no more common than braking a cable, chain or spoke. I'm willing to risk having to abandon the race for a catastrophic mechanical.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tires [anglosaxonjaxon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to neglect the mechanics, we have 1 life, and at high speed anything can happen. Be careful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tubeless tires are the best but you can't just neglect the safety mechanisms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode tubeless tires on Shimano DA wheels for 2 years recreationally. It's not that they leaked much during rides (40-60 miles) but they lost so much pressure during the week in between rides requiring more doctoring than I cared for. It was a nice ride but the inconvenience led me to convert the wheels back to clinchers. Don't know if that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tires [schustmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that happens with mine especially if they are not tightly sealed. I can’t go a few days without more air.
Quote Reply