Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

whats your greatest fear of confrontation.
Quote | Reply
I sublet commercial space. My tenant is a black barber. I’m white. Sometimes his clients smoke right outside the door of my retail space. State law says smoking has to be 50’ away from the door. Every time I ask one of his clients to move away from the door, I feel like I’m risking an ugly confrontation.

I like the extra money from being a landlord, but at 5’7” 160, asking a six foot tall dude with a dew rag and a grill to relocate his person is scary as shit.
Quote Reply
Re: whats your greatest fear of confrontation. [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, it is durag, not dew rag. https://www.amazon.com/...thable/dp/B0739NZ2MC
If the dudes are breaking the law, let the business owner know you are not happy about it and do not want any complaints from anyone and possibly have the health department inspect or something similar. He may be cool about it and tell his clientele to puff elsewhere and may even put up a sign. If not, start asking the clientele yourself. Just be cool with them.

Quote | Reply
Do you have a sign up?

Talk to the landlord.

Grand scheme of things not your problem, they are the ones breaking the law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
I sublet commercial space. My tenant is a black barber. I’m white. Sometimes his clients smoke right outside the door of my retail space. State law says smoking has to be 50’ away from the door. Every time I ask one of his clients to move away from the door, I feel like I’m risking an ugly confrontation.

I like the extra money from being a landlord, but at 5’7” 160, asking a six foot tall dude with a dew rag and a grill to relocate his person is scary as shit.

Had a chiro office years ago in a lovely old Victorian building which was located at a bus stop. Great for patients who didn't drive but we were constantly chasing people away from sitting on our steps often smoking and leaving their cigarette butts behind while waiting for the bus. Finally we put up "no smoking", "do not block office entrance" and "no loitering" signs. Worked for about 90% of them. Just try putting up a "State Law - no smoking within 50 ft" sign. Might work.
Quote Reply
Re: whats your greatest fear of confrontation. [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
First, it is durag, not dew rag. https://www.amazon.com/...thable/dp/B0739NZ2MC
If the dudes are breaking the law, let the business owner know you are not happy about it and do not want any complaints from anyone and possibly have the health department inspect or something similar. He may be cool about it and tell his clientele to puff elsewhere and may even put up a sign. If not, start asking the clientele yourself. Just be cool with them.

My whiteness is abundantly apparent. Dew...du what the hell do I know. I do speak with the tennant, but when he is not there...I feel I must take matters into my own hands. There are signs. I even have a butt can I placed away from the door. I try to be cool, but its nerve wracking. I have been unloaded on before. Once had someone film me while they were berating me for picking up trash in front of my store. No bullshit. I did give them a dirty look for littering while I was picking up garbage, so that, giving a cross look, was enough reason for this crazy to start screaming at me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have tried and tried, I think getting the health department or neighborhood mediation involved may scare the owner. Do live next door or above this business?

Quote | Reply
Probably confronting my own inner personal blind spots and feelings.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: whats your greatest fear of confrontation. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Do you have a sign up?

Talk to the landlord.

I do have a sign up. And I’m the defacto landlord. My store is on the ground floor. I sublease and manage 3 tennants upstairs. Only one of them has troublesome clients and he tries to manage them, but, what was that recent thread? Oh yes, willful defiance goes unpunished. In other words he can’t control his clients.

It’s frustrating and frightening. He provides a nice revenue stream and I like the guy a lot.

Dealing with difficult people can be challenging. But when race is in the mix, it’s fucking toxic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
asking a six foot tall dude with a dew rag and a grill to relocate his person is scary as shit.

It shouldn’t be anymore scary than confronting anyone else just because he’s tall, black and has gold teeth.

If someone is smoking by your door ask them to move. If they get all pissy about it call the cops.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: whats your greatest fear of confrontation. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
asking a six foot tall dude with a dew rag and a grill to relocate his person is scary as shit.

It shouldn’t be anymore scary than confronting anyone else just because he’s tall, black and has gold teeth.

If someone is smoking by your door ask them to move. If they get all pissy about it call the cops.

There's obviously additional reason to be anxious as a business owner because, even if race plays no part in your actions, it's easy for the people you're dealing with to blame your actions on race and impact your business as a result. Very easy, and very common, for accusations of racism to be casually tossed around.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: whats your greatest fear of confrontation. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

There's obviously additional reason to be anxious as a business owner because, even if race plays no part in your actions, it's easy for the people you're dealing with to blame your actions on race and impact your business as a result. Very easy, and very common, for accusations of racism to be casually tossed around.

Good point.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:

Tricky situation. Be firm and carry pepper spray?

Now you know how chicks feel with aggressive assholes.
Last edited by: getcereal: May 17, 19 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: whats your greatest fear of confrontation. [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the topic asked a question, I'll answer it.

When I was about 15 or so, my dad basically told me that because I don't vote a certain way that I'm not a Christian. Since I'm much older and have had kids, he still sometimes tries to toss in some kind of little controversial "zinger" when my parents meet us to spend time with the kids. Something like "these funny people huggin an kissin each other gettin married", or "first women want this then they want that then they're protesting teacher pay".

We ignore it.

At some point, there'll be one thing too much and I'll have to tell my dad exactly what I think about some of the stuff he says. Not disagreeing, but how disrespectful he's been to me and others at times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
windywave wrote:
Do you have a sign up?

Talk to the landlord.

I do have a sign up. And I’m the defacto landlord. My store is on the ground floor. I sublease and manage 3 tennants upstairs. Only one of them has troublesome clients and he tries to manage them, but, what was that recent thread? Oh yes, willful defiance goes unpunished. In other words he can’t control his clients.

It’s frustrating and frightening. He provides a nice revenue stream and I like the guy a lot.

Dealing with difficult people can be challenging. But when race is in the mix, it’s fucking toxic.

Another idea, maybe put a camera up right above the sign. If people are smoking call the cops at least you have video proof and they have been warned.

This should be enough to get cops involved. I think if a few dudes got tickets, this would end quickly.
Quote Reply