Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Video interviews....... Arghhhhhh
Quote | Reply
I just completed a video interview

It's very very disconcerting to see a written question and record a verbal answer on a webcam

I'm not sure why, but if you are speaking to some one and they ask a question and you order your thoughts it seems much easier than reading a question and then speaking in to a microphone
Quote Reply
Re: Video interviews....... Arghhhhhh [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to do this with my current job, due to me being out of state during the interview process. Apparently our company has a rule that the hiring manager has to at least "see" the candidate once.

I pulled the classic suit & tie up top and shorts below move.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Video interviews....... Arghhhhhh [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it wasn't Skype. I had to record answers to be reviewed later

Though j did do shirt and tie whilst wearing shorts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to Skype interview for my current company. I was living in Singapore. The company was near Toronto. 12 hr. time difference.
I asked if they could do one early in their morning or late in afternoon. They decided that 3pm their time was best. Had to wake up at 2:30am, drink a coffee, put on a shirt and tie on top and pajamas on bottom. No way to go back to sleep after that.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Video interviews....... Arghhhhhh [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyping is fine, a conversation would have been OK but,

Give me an example of........

And then having to record a 2-3 minute answer was different. I don't know why, but it was
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds terrible!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like sex, you got to practice to get it perfect.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Skyping is fine, a conversation would have been OK but,

Give me an example of........

And then having to record a 2-3 minute answer was different. I don't know why, but it was

That would make it tough. No way to gauge reactions or get a feel for needing to explain more.

I did a straight phone interview 20 years ago. That worked well for me. But this would seem odd.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Video interviews....... Arghhhhhh [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really weird. I did not know the questions
You have a minute or so to gather thoughts but then it starts recording automatically and there's no feedback.

I found it very disconcerting, tricky to stay on course, and to collect my thoughts

Anyway, it's the same for everyone I guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have done a few skype interviews and am not a fan - some are better than others but i really think it puts you at a disadvantage regardless.

in two cases when i got offers i actually shelled out to fly to where they were in order to meet face-to-face. it's really important to me to see the whites of someone's eyes before i sign a contract with them. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Video interviews....... Arghhhhhh [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Skype is a disadvantage, but not as much as speaking to a video camera with no cue's as to how its going.......

Very depressing

As an aside, I've had three phone interviews, no visuals, not Skype just conversations and it's been quite good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this once a few years ago and was lucky to know 2-3 of the 6-7 questions ahead of time. I'm sure it was obvious to whoever watched which ones I had prepped for and which ones were cold. It was definitely uncomfortable watching the 30 seconds (or maybe a minute) count down before the recording started...maybe more so for the questions I was prepared to answer. I can see the benefit of having people review the tape at their leisure so you don't have to coordinate a time for a few busy people to meet; even for skype.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds awful. No feedback of any kind would be really disconcerting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are no fun. I did that recently for a few roles. The process provided for a few minutes to get her your thoughts before responding, so I had a notepad to try to organize a quick response and put some structure around it.

What was interesting is that I had two chances to record a response. On my first question I thought that was good. But then I messed up my response and had to start over. I was quite stressed on the second response knowing that it was my last shot. For the next several questions I focused a lot more on the first response.

Skype interviews were much easier in my opinion. I had two that were panel interviews with a case study component (that I had a week to prepare). Much nicer to have the interaction and back and forth vs. simply speaking into the camera on my laptop.

No coat and tie for me though.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope yours went better than Bobby's

Quote Reply