Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's next from Shimano Road/TT?
Quote | Reply
Any further info on what exactly Shimano releases next? I've had a few teasers from some in the bike industry, that they 'painted" as a "It'll be this..but I don't know for sure...well I do...but not really." Such as, a SRAM matching full true wireless system/bolt on for road like eTap. Can't confirm this anywhere.

Will they go 1-up on SRAM and match Rotor with 13 speed? Does anyone have any info at all & will they have a TT shifter system early on?
Quote Reply
Re: What's next from Shimano Road/TT? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Any further info on what exactly Shimano releases next? I've had a few teasers from some in the bike industry, that they 'painted" as a "It'll be this..but I don't know for sure...well I do...but not really." Such as, a SRAM matching full true wireless system/bolt on for road like eTap. Can't confirm this anywhere.

Will they go 1-up on SRAM and match Rotor with 13 speed? Does anyone have any info at all & will they have a TT shifter system early on?

Sigh, whatever it will be then it'll be incompatible with everything that's gone before for absolutely no reason at all other than to force more $$$ out of people.
Quote Reply
Re: What's next from Shimano Road/TT? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, Shimano has left a lot of money on the table by keeping Di2 as a top tier only option.

Having it only as a really expensive Ult/DA set essentially eliminates about 1/2 the folks that 'might' be interested if it were say only $200 more.

If they did a 105 Di2 that was perhaps just $200 more than mechanical Ultegra, I think you'd see more people bite. Or even have electronic 105 be the same price as mechanical Ultegra.

I'm not interested in more gears really at this point with 11spd. I'm interested in a better experience using what I have.

And opening up Di2 to the masses would enhance that experience.
Quote Reply
Re: What's next from Shimano Road/TT? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get a used Di2 6870 kit for like $600. Probably less if you piece it together. Personally I’ll take higher quality used vs new lower quality, especially with Shimano. Their Di2 stuff just works forever.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: What's next from Shimano Road/TT? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's is absolutely no reason to make a cheaper electronic version at this point. Ultegra works great, and you can buy up to DA if you want to. Keeping 105 mechanical makes perfect sense to me in terms of tiers. Ui2 is well under $1k now for a complete bike - road or TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess:

12-speed Di2 Dura Ace R9200, and Ultegra R8200. Electronic and Disc brake ONLY.

The 105-level 12-speed group, R7200 will be the only group which still offers mechanical brakes and shift options.

New 12-speed micro-spline freehub for road groupsets.

Coming, but not until 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: What's next from Shimano Road/TT? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
My guess:

12-speed Di2 Dura Ace R9200, and Ultegra R8200. Electronic and Disc brake ONLY.

The 105-level 12-speed group, R7200 will be the only group which still offers mechanical brakes and shift options.

New 12-speed micro-spline freehub for road groupsets.

Coming, but not until 2020.

For 2020 (late 2019 release) I'm going with 12-speed Dura Ace mechanical and electronic with Microspline freehub, and options for rim and disc brake. I'm on the fence whether the clutch rear derailleur will be standard, or an option. This will include their first official 1x road gearing, using a 10-tooth small cog. Ultegra will follow in another year or two. I doubt 12-speed will make it to 105-level for another 3-4 years... Shimano typically waits to trickle it down (Tiagra is still 10-speed).

I'm also not sure if they'll do a full commitment to the 10-tooth cog and change all the chainring sizes like SRAM did, or maybe keep an 11-tooth cog for 2x systems, and 10-tooth for 1x.

(That's all just a guess - I work in the industry but have no inside knowledge of their new stuff yet)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

Shimano is currently targeting the fat end of the market rather than high tech end and I expect more releases at the lower price points. The new Tiagra groupset (http://www.cyclingnews.com/...draulic-disc-brakes/) should do really well on the OEM market and the new gravel groupsets are aimed to hit SRAM hard. New Sora/Claris with trickle down tech would be the obvious next launches. There is currently a lot of competition at the high end of the market but not so much in terms of making quality entry level parts. Shimano is smart enough to know where the money is.
Quote Reply