Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Santa Rosa run course navigation issues....
Quote | Reply
I was just curious if anyone who competed in this years race had any trouble navigating the run course? A friend of mine was DQ'd because she missed the 1.5km section at 22 miles. ( and I understand there were almost 20 others who missed timing mats and were DQ'd )
I have competed in numerous IM's and I know that at 22 miles your '' navigation skills '' may not be 100% nor should they at this point in the race......
Curious if anyone had a similar issue .......
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa run course navigation issues.... [heed99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks. Yes, that little turn was fairly clearly marked last year, but I can see how someone could miss it during the last loop....

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pretty much just followed the arrows on the ground. I didn't really see much opportunity to get off track, although I could imagine some areas being very dark after sundown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she missed that section at mile 22 it means she ran it 2 times previously (lap 1 & 2) and missed it on lap 3. It was pretty well marked.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: May 13, 19 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa run course navigation issues.... [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with Dave L. If she missed it she must have been really deep in her head as it was pretty obvious and unless she was alone off the front you couldn't really miss the bodies turning left and coming out from the right.

Short of a rope across the trail stopping that from happening thats pretty much on her. Big bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
took a look at sportstats and the 18 DQs, the various splits missing for those athletes didn't seem to have much consistency nor would I be able to tell who got DQ'd for bike penalties.

Having recently been DQ'd in a half marathon along with the 5 leaders and the guy behind me (small race) because we all followed the lead vehicle who took a wrong turn, I completely accept that the athlete always has the responsibility to know the course and to make the right decision if a volunteer, race worker, or course marking seems off.

There were only 18 DQs among 1572 finishers at IMSR, that's a rate of 1.125% which I would bet is about on par with most races so I doubt there was really an issue with course marking which is always an easy first thing to 'blame' for a DQ other than oneself.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa run course navigation issues.... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the athlete's responsibility to know the course better than the lead official? That is the whole point of the lead vehicle / bike and clearly the RD screwed up. RDs use the "athlete's responsibility" bit to make up for bad planning and course marking way too often and that is BS. /rant, in this instance it does seem to be athlete's fault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was beyond delirious for most of the run and i can't see how you could miss any turns, it was sooo easy.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa run course navigation issues.... [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way too many turn on that course.... but the marking was great!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa run course navigation issues.... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DQ - not following official's instructions!

To the post below, this drives me nuts. I get it and how that wording is generally beneficial but the example above is complete BS.

Plus, if you've ever done a HITS race its impossible because the course is changing most of the time while you're biking /pink

For the OP - just sounds like a crappy situation but doesn't sound like its the RD's fault
Quote Reply