Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would use them for races.

Yes that was the plan...but if I race approx 8 times/year that means about 16 times tightening/loosening per year, and the shallow bolt head and soft material won't hold up to that amount of use (as noted by others above as well)
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nelo wrote:
texwilk wrote:
I too had one of the early releases and wish it was deeper. I used it a few times and then ditched them since I was concerned I would not get my wheels off in a race due to wear/tear. Love the tri-rig stuff though.

My experience is the same as many have explained above. I used the skewers a few times then stopped since it was clear they would round out the bolt head soon. There really should be a replacement program with re-designed bolt heads. In general I'm a fan of Tri-rig equipment.

Yeah I used mine in a handful of races and have rounded out the bolt head. Trying to pay for replacement bolts through TriRig Misc. Payment just gave me an error dialog box. The bolt heads really need to be torx to provide more contact area for torquing down.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Or ViewSpeed. Now wish I hadn't sold my set. Only downside is that the whole head turns instead of just the bolt
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Trying to pay for replacement bolts through TriRig Misc. Payment just gave me an error dialog box. The bolt heads really need to be torx to provide more contact area for torquing down.
Make sure you aren't entering any currency symbols, just the numbers.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I was one of the early buyers. A deeper head would make these perfect, so I'm glad that's changed.

Hmm, turns out that I was one of the first people to get one of the updated versions. The hex keys goes in about 2.3 mm. A different version made of steel might be a good idea instead of the titanium.

It's still a better design than the View Speed skewers. The VS heads ate the heck out of dropouts since they rotated when tightening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of Tririg as well, but there's a reason I'll usually wait a few months after release before buying any of their products.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig copies/improves view-speed skewers? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair at Steelhead last year and unfortunately they are now sitting in my tool parts due to the rounded out bolt on the rear skewer.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I have concerns about longevity with a softer metal and only a 4 mm hex insert. I see why keeping it a simple size of wrench that everybody owns is a good idea. Part of me thinks a T25 would have made more sense, but I'm a non-engineer on an internet forum. I grabbed some high end bits from a specialty hardware store and used a fresh one for installing these both times. I have a handful of new Bondhous hex keys too and used those to loosen. I could see an old or low tolerance hey key camming out these skewers based on my experience with ti bolts in stems. That's the closest thing I can find to a downside right now. The possibility of camming out the skewer. Nick will probably come correct me that they're using some super titanium to prevent that though.

Well look who quietly updated the Styx over the summer. Goodbye less-than-ideal 4 mm hex interface.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, yep! Not everyone owns a Bondhus or similar quality set of wrenches, or uses great technique when turning a hex key. We liked the idea of the universal 4mm hex head, but the T25 does solve the former two potential issues. And we deliver a very nice wrench along with the skewers just in case the customer doesn’t own one yet. Thanks for noticing!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm in Canada and these styx skewers are just the thing I'm looking for. Happy to pay the price for the skewers but it's about $60Cad for shipping (!!!!) so does anyone have any intel on where I could buy these and pay a more reasonable amount for shipping?
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had no issues using these for races:
https://www.amazon.com/Pinhead-Bicycle-Locking-Skewer-Set/dp/B000XHBKOU/ref=asc_df_B000XHBKOU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312131999963&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16238920680400160193&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009682&hvtargid=pla-570014580669&psc=1

Pinheadz security lock skewers. I do TT, so carrying tools doesn't matter. In training I use normal skewers. For tri, just keep the key in the toolset with your tube/CO2 or whatever. Instead of cone shaped, the heads are rounded. On Amazon Prime for $60. Maybe cheaper elsewhere.

If you have a well designed fork on your bike, the difference between aero skewers that use a "key" or tool is going to be debatable. Like, drunk with your friends just to be a pain kind of debate.
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

https://view-speed.com/

For those that need an alternate way to tighten and loosen the skewers we sell a tool with a spanner that matches the aero and lightening holes in the View-Speed Skewers.

We also sell a machined Ti washer for those concerned that the tightening and loosening will impinge on their forks.

Most users have found the washer is not needed because of the circular nature of the contact area.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JVanderveen wrote:
Hey, I'm in Canada and these styx skewers are just the thing I'm looking for. Happy to pay the price for the skewers but it's about $60Cad for shipping (!!!!) so does anyone have any intel on where I could buy these and pay a more reasonable amount for shipping?

In the same situation in Vancouver, BC, Canada and would like to purchase a set however Mr. Salazar in not going to get my business unless he can do better than $60.00 shipping for two skewers.

Marc Sasso
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do TT too, hence why I'm looking for these skewers. I'm aware of the other options out there. Just wondering if anyone knows of a place where I can order the TriRig Styx skewers that charges a more reasonable price for shipping to Canada.
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Neal, is it possible to see more images of your viewspeed S4 skewers? The website doesn't have images that really show the portion of the skewer that will actually be exposed to the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello JVanderveen and All,

Click image to enlarge ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Vanderveen and All,

Please click images to enlarge ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had both TriRig and ViewSpeed and the ViewSpeed were shallower
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using the Viewspeed skewers for years. They just work well. Have one on the rear of my Litespeed T3 disc.
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look functional and fast, just purchased two sets of the Series 4 skewers, keen to see how these work out.
Thanks Nealhe for the reasonable shipping!

Marc Sasso
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Vanderveen and All,

Here are some pics ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeyB3hnLfN0

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
dangle wrote:
I have concerns about longevity with a softer metal and only a 4 mm hex insert. I see why keeping it a simple size of wrench that everybody owns is a good idea. Part of me thinks a T25 would have made more sense, but I'm a non-engineer on an internet forum. I grabbed some high end bits from a specialty hardware store and used a fresh one for installing these both times. I have a handful of new Bondhous hex keys too and used those to loosen. I could see an old or low tolerance hey key camming out these skewers based on my experience with ti bolts in stems. That's the closest thing I can find to a downside right now. The possibility of camming out the skewer. Nick will probably come correct me that they're using some super titanium to prevent that though.

Well look who quietly updated the Styx over the summer. Goodbye less-than-ideal 4 mm hex interface.

Shoot wish I had seen this earlier. Setting up for a race on Saturday one of my old style Styx stripped. Ordered new set this morning but highly doubt it would be here in 2 days!
Thanks for the post.
Quote Reply
Re: New: TriRig Styx skewers [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Totally surprised, I saw my post from 2 days ago and decided to see if the tracking was updated. Delivered in mailbox! Just in time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next