Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Unusually high long run HR (191 for 10mi) [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say, as others have said in this post, that the high HR could be legit. I also agree that your wrist HR is not always accurate. I used a 735XT which is wrist-based HR and I've had my HR be steady at 125 for the first half of an easy run and jump to 150 and stay steady there for the rest of the run (treadmill, same pace, same % grade). I would say use a chest HRM if you use HR during training.

With that being said, one of the guys I train with (same age as me) has an easy run HR limit of 165 and runs 180-185 during a 70.3 run, while my easy run HR limit is 140, and I average 165 during a marathon. HR changes from person-to person, age, training load, etc as others have said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take your HR manually. Don't rely on gadgets to do everything for you. They are just tools to help and you have to understand their limitations.

That being said, can't you tell without actually counting what your HR is within a small margin of error? I can usually estimate my HR based on exertion level for a variety of activities within 10 beats, usually less. Certainly the difference between 190 and whatever it would be while on an easy run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you first posted this question I have had my 735 lock onto my cadence while running 2 long runs in a row. Both time it was after a stop at a stoplight where my pulse dropped. When I restarted my pulse was showing 190 and I wasn't even breathing hard yet. I could make it vary by changing my stride, so it was definitely locked to cadence.

I think it has something to do with pulse and cadence crossing the same number and the watch picking the wrong one to follow. I haven't figured out how to get the watch back to reading my pulse once that happens yet, but it is pretty annoying.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im 31 and I do most of my runs in the 175 ish range (7-8) miles.
Been to the doc - had EKGs - etc and all normal. Resting HR is upper 50s.

Most I have had it sustained is about 183 but I can maintain that for maybe 3 miles before I just get winded.
Quote Reply
Re: Unusually high long run HR (191 for 10mi) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
As someone else said, check your pulse. Right there will tell you if the monitor is off or not. If it is correct, then 191 would be normal for someone with a 215+ max. Do you know you're max? I coached an athlete that would jog 8 minute miles at 190 HR, but she still had a lot of beats in the bank, max was about 250..

Whaaaaaat. Holy cow. What was his resting heart rate.??
Quote Reply
Re: Unusually high long run HR (191 for 10mi) [lced0ut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lced0ut wrote:
casper3043 wrote:
maybe for a 13 year old pacing over 190 doesn't scream skeptical or a medical condition.

30M
Max HR 208(max sustained I've seen outside of reading blips)
AVG HR in Half Marathon 2 weeks ago 193

I spiked at 204 at the end. 193 average for 91 mins. I had more in the tank, legs held me back.
3 years ago I held 197 avg for 2 hours in the same Half.
My IM HR is around 165-170.

Why am I not dead?
Answer: Genetics. Just because it's not what you're used to or it's uncommon doesn't mean it's not common for that person. What is concerning is if HR is outside the norm for the individual, not outside the norm of 220-age.

How painful was it when you did half? I'm asking you because when I hit my max which is about 170, I feel like I'm going to die. I can hold that only for 1 min, 1:30 if I'm lucky. How can you tolerate such pain? It's mind boggling.

To OP, if that's close to your maximum HR and your watch and monitor are not out of order, switch that sends pain to your brain is turned off so good for you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Unusually high long run HR (191 for 10mi) [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
lced0ut wrote:
casper3043 wrote:
maybe for a 13 year old pacing over 190 doesn't scream skeptical or a medical condition.

30M
Max HR 208(max sustained I've seen outside of reading blips)
AVG HR in Half Marathon 2 weeks ago 193

I spiked at 204 at the end. 193 average for 91 mins. I had more in the tank, legs held me back.
3 years ago I held 197 avg for 2 hours in the same Half.
My IM HR is around 165-170.

Why am I not dead?
Answer: Genetics. Just because it's not what you're used to or it's uncommon doesn't mean it's not common for that person. What is concerning is if HR is outside the norm for the individual, not outside the norm of 220-age.

How painful was it when you did half? I'm asking you because when I hit my max which is about 170, I feel like I'm going to die. I can hold that only for 1 min, 1:30 if I'm lucky. How can you tolerate such pain? It's mind boggling.

To OP, if that's close to your maximum HR and your watch and monitor are not out of order, switch that sends pain to your brain is turned off so good for you!!

It’s been a while but from what I remember I went out comfortably hard. At about 3-4 miles was when my body wanted to stop but I kept pushing. Maybe started at 7/10 in legs burning and was at 9/10 at mile 4. Aerobically it was a 7/10 the entire race. Ultimately it was my legs that gave out and was the limiting factor somewhere between 1 and 2 miles left. The last mile which was a 10/10 with every step a mental battle to keep going. Different than an IM as i didn’t feel like my muscles were going to cramp just that they were burning with every step being a battle. Felt like my muscles were about to give out at the end. - this was followed by the sorest I have ever been for a week after this race. Worse than the 2 IMs I have completed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next