Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not arguing with you or Chuy. Just saying that at auction, the -only- thing you need is money; with Legacy, you need money -and- ability. Not as much ability as needed to KQ, but more ability than just the power to win an auction.

And I think that this is by design. WTC wants people to finish and not to get injured, and requiring someone to have done 12 before getting a shot at Kona that they would not otherwise have gotten is a good way to maximize the chances of that happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm not sure why you are arguing with me. I just pointed out that you can enter Kona with enough money, so in these cases it is the gatekeeper as you put it. The legacy program is fine, much better than the lottery scam before it for sure. But lets not pretend that this auction, or the other pay an extra 2500 bucks and get a spot at a sold out race, are not there to foot the bill for the ironman foundation. Each way to get into sold out races has it place, some might actually save money buying the Ebay slot, rather than doing 13 to 15 ironmans to get in..

I've heard this many times and the assumption behind it is that the only intrinsic value that people get from finishing each IM is one step closer to the Kona legacy spot. It assumes no enjoyment and no other purpose behind any race other than to get into IM Hawaii. If that were true, no one would do any more than the minimum (which isn't true) and no one would continue doing IMs after having completed Kona (also untrue).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Zippy303 wrote:
Just raced an IM yesterday and bumped into a guy who finally got in via legacy. He had to do 15 IM's till he finally was accepted.

Is this how high the number has gotten these days?

I was thinking of doing it (at 7 now) but I am not sticking around for 15. 12...ok but 15 its just too much.

Its been covered in other threads but its a bit of a misunderstanding. 12 makes you eligible but then you need* to do a full IM every year beyond that to maintain eligibility which can balloon to any number until you get in... or so the policy states.

Hopefully huffnpuff chimes in here because I believe that policy has changed quietly in two ways but this is just what I have gleaned from various threads: 1) rather than a drawing every year from the legacy pool, it is now guaranteed entry for a race a few years down from when you gain eligibility and 2) you may not need to do a full IM anymore, they may have allowed 70.3s but none of this is consistent with their posted policy so I can't verify it. I follow it and any other thread quite a bit since I am at 9 and am planning on 3 this year to begin my eligibility.

12 has ALWAYS been the number required before you can apply to get into the Legacy waiting line. Provided that your 12 are confirmed by Ironman, you will be given a spot in the waiting line to race. While in line, you have to complete an IM each year prior to the year you actually do Kona. That last underlined part is where there has been a change. Originally, you also had to be registered for an IM other than Kona in the year you did Kona although there was no requirement to complete it (e.g., you could have registered for IMFL or IMAZ in the same year and then pulled a DNS after finishing Kona. Under the current policy, you must validate your legacy spot in the year you are going to race Kona by completing an Ironman-owned 5150, 70.3 or Ironman prior to 20 August of that year. The reality still remains that you must complete 12 before applying to get in line, and will most likely have to do 1 or 2 more in the year or two you are waiting for your turn to race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
No it's 12. But they basically get you because the program probaly is still a "wait list" and thus some don't get in. And so you have to keep doing one to get into the program:

See this cavaet:

• Athlete must have completed at least one full-distance IRONMAN event in both 2017 and 2018.
  • Athlete must be registered for a full-distance IRONMAN event in 2019.

• Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...m.aspx#ixzz5nisOoQcL

Ironman is not the best at making sure the rules they post on their website are the most current. For Legacy athletes selected for Kona in 2019, the requirement listed in bold is simply untrue. Please see my post above.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    earthling wrote:
    I don't know the answer to your question. I have been over 12 for years but never wanted to enter that way. I think Ironman will push the number as high as they can and still attract multiple finishers to their events. Its not in their interests to do anything else while they are a commercially driven company. The question is not how many athletes can we get to Kona - its how much money can we make out of Kona and this is one way they can encourage athletes to part with more and more money while still not quite getting there!

The number has remained constant at 12 since the inception of the program which suggests that what you think is incorrect.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    dcohen24 wrote:
    I know every one is going to say it's just a loyalty program or something, but as the story goes, the idea was never to force 12 payments to get in to kona. It was seeing these people who live the life style, year in, year out and saying "they should go to kona some day".

And in that sense, i think the people who the program was really made for may say "datn i need to wait a couple extra years", but they probably intended to do a 13 14,15 etc.. Kona or not.

^This! I know a lady who completed Kona under the Legacy program a couple of years ago. She is doing TWELVE ironman races this year alone - just because that's what she likes to do. Yes, she is an extreme outlier, but yes, Legacy is for people who enjoy racing IM events. It wasn't intended for someone to just pay 12 x the IM price to get in.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I do actually! Two people that met their 12 in 2017 and raced at Kona in 2018. They didn't find out until about 6 weeks before, though.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I've heard this many times and the assumption behind it is that the only intrinsic value that people get from finishing each IM is one step closer to the Kona legacy spot. It assumes no enjoyment and no other purpose behind any race other than to get into IM Hawaii. //

I never made that assumption at all. People that do 12 Ironmans certainly love what they are doing, and they had 12 great trips and experiences. My only point is that if Kona is what you want to do, and you really don't care about other races, then you could just pay less money and time and buy your spot on the start line. And yes, it would be cheaper in most cases than doing 12+ other races. You would have to be one of those broke pros that lives in their van, eats at all you can eat happy hours, Kraft macaroni, ramen noodles, to beat that Ebay price vs over a dozen races... (-;

I found it interesting that there are folks doing the 12 in one year. That suggests that Kona is the real goal, and they are not very patient...
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    what' the ebay/buy your Kona trip costing roughly usually? $50k "buy in"?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
    Exercise Physiology
    -USAT Level II
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Yes, there are folks who try to qualify for Legacy in 3 yrs or less. But there is also the lady doing 12 in 2019 after having done Kona by Legacy two years ago.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I went as a legacy athlete last year......I never chased it, just enjoy the lifestyle. Nothing has changed this year. Still going to lp as usual:)
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    HuffNPuff wrote:
    hadukla wrote:
    Zippy303 wrote:
    Just raced an IM yesterday and bumped into a guy who finally got in via legacy. He had to do 15 IM's till he finally was accepted.

Is this how high the number has gotten these days?

I was thinking of doing it (at 7 now) but I am not sticking around for 15. 12...ok but 15 its just too much.

Its been covered in other threads but its a bit of a misunderstanding. 12 makes you eligible but then you need* to do a full IM every year beyond that to maintain eligibility which can balloon to any number until you get in... or so the policy states.

Hopefully huffnpuff chimes in here because I believe that policy has changed quietly in two ways but this is just what I have gleaned from various threads: 1) rather than a drawing every year from the legacy pool, it is now guaranteed entry for a race a few years down from when you gain eligibility and 2) you may not need to do a full IM anymore, they may have allowed 70.3s but none of this is consistent with their posted policy so I can't verify it. I follow it and any other thread quite a bit since I am at 9 and am planning on 3 this year to begin my eligibility.

12 has ALWAYS been the number required before you can apply to get into the Legacy waiting line. Provided that your 12 are confirmed by Ironman, you will be given a spot in the waiting line to race. While in line, you have to complete an IM each year prior to the year you actually do Kona. That last underlined part is where there has been a change. Originally, you also had to be registered for an IM other than Kona in the year you did Kona although there was no requirement to complete it (e.g., you could have registered for IMFL or IMAZ in the same year and then pulled a DNS after finishing Kona. Under the current policy, you must validate your legacy spot in the year you are going to race Kona by completing an Ironman-owned 5150, 70.3 or Ironman prior to 20 August of that year. The reality still remains that you must complete 12 before applying to get in line, and will most likely have to do 1 or 2 more in the year or two you are waiting for your turn to race.

I just wanted to add that the qualifying race in the year you are going to do Kona must take place between January and August. This is particularly important for athletes in the southern hemisphere. Early season races before January do not count. I did IMWA in December 2018, even though the KQ slots were for 2019, I could not use it to validate my Legacy spot.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    correct 12 is the number but once you're eligible you don't have to race a full IM anymore:

You are guaranteed selection for the 2022 IRONMAN World Championship. To remain eligible for the 2022 IRONMAN World Championship, please note the following:
     
    2019 Validating Requirements:
    • Complete a full distance IRONMAN (140.6) in 2019

2020 Validating Requirements:
    • Complete ONE of the following events in 2020:

• IRONMAN (140.6)
      • IRONMAN 70.3
      • IRONMAN Branded 5150

2021 Validating Requirements:
    • Complete ONE of the following events in 2021:

• IRONMAN (140.6)
      • IRONMAN 70.3
      • IRONMAN Branded 5150

2022 Validating Requirements:
    • Complete ONE of the following events in 2022*:

• IRONMAN (140.6)
      • IRONMAN 70.3
      • IRONMAN Branded 5150

*Please note, your validating race in 2022 must be complete by August 20, 2022.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Lookds like yet another change. So 2019 makes 13 for you?
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    yes, '19 made 13 for me
    Quote Reply
    Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Hi,
    So you applied in 2018 and was guaranteed slot 2022?! So people who will apply in 2019 will get one at the earliest for 2022/2023?
    Is that correct?
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    B_Doughtie wrote:
    If it isn't for you, fine, but I for one was grateful for the opportunity to race in Kona.

------

Ha the more I hear and read of the costs of going to Kona and the headaches that it seems some airlines don't take certain bike bags now, etc and this legacy program idea I'm reminded of the Seinfeld skit when Seinfeld was asking George if he wanted "free" Super Bowl tickets?

"FREE??

I gotta pay for the airline ticket, I gotta pay for the hotel, I gotta pay for all the food, just to use "free" Super Bowl tickets. Some "free" gift they are."

Having raced Kona three times, I can say personally you are missing out on a fun week. You can't go on vacation for free; Ironman charges for the race entry fee for the race you qualify at and for the Kona race itself. Combined, those fees are a relatively small part of the money I spend to travel to the race from Asia, rent a condo, a car, food, etc. etc. It's perfectly fine to choose to spend your money and time another way, but I agree with the original intent of the legacy program was, and remains, to offer an avenue for people who simply love racing Ironman but have not qualified a way to get to the pier and experience it for themselves.

Whether I travel to Kona or to another Ironman event worldwide or Challenge Roth, I love combining travel and a race. The people and the focus of race week, and then the relaxation that comes after crossing the finish line make it so enjoyable for my wife and I.

I like to make money in my business; I respect that WTC wants to make money in theirs. I hope you want to make money in yours too! It does not make us or WTC evil. We can all do Ironman for free if we choose to....just get out there and do the distance yourself! In fact, this Monday after race day, my wife and I took on the exact Ironman run course on our own and we had a hugely rewarding time finishing her first marathon! The energy lab without aid stations and only what I carried in my run vest for the two of us was a special treat!

There's probaly some pretty good parallels from that skit- and no I'm not ragging on WTC. Based on the OP more accurately portraying what you seemingly have to do at this point in this legacy program....it's more 12*. Again not railing on WTC. Just thought it was a funny likely fairly accurate comparison.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Ironman Legacy - upto 15 now? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Darren325 wrote:

I like to make money in my business; I respect that WTC wants to make money in theirs. I hope you want to make money in yours too!

Don't be silly, there's no money in posting on Slowtwitch!
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    B_Doughtie wrote:
    No it's 12. But they basically get you because the program probaly is still a "wait list" and thus some don't get in. And so you have to keep doing one to get into the program:

See this cavaet:

• Athlete must have completed at least one full-distance IRONMAN event in both 2017 and 2018.
  • Athlete must be registered for a full-distance IRONMAN event in 2019.

• Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...m.aspx#ixzz5nisOoQcL

At least you don't have to keep doing full IMs now to stay eligible. Heck, a 5150 keeps you eligible. Some people can do one of those in 2 hours.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
    Quote Reply

Prev Next