Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you had dementia [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
No.

If this happens to me my loved one will be giving me a lethal dose of morphine, hopefully.

There was a doctor and some nurses arrested for that recently in Ohio. Families weren’t in on it
Quote Reply
Re: If you had dementia [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been through a similar situation with my Mom and my Stepfather. She lived in an Alzheimer's facility for six years before passing and, after that, my Stepfather survived for less than one with Lewy Body syndrome. His room was across the hall from the room Mom lived in. Yesterday, a gentleman that is the husband of my daughter's dance teacher was moved into hospice after a fall that seems to have affected his cognitive ability significantly. We have helped care for him for the past six months and watched the gradual decline. As a result of watching the deteriorating quality of life for the three of them, I had a discussion with my wife about when I would want to be allowed to die. My Mom and my Aunt died from Alzheimer's and I half expect that will be my fate given the genetic proclivity I have probably inherited. When I do not recognize my own family and I no longer derive any enjoyment from anything, I am hopeful some acute condition develops that will take me away because there is no assisted suicide law in NC. Pneumonia would be just fine with me as long as they can keep me relatively pain free. I would not want the wealth I have created to be eroded by expensive health care for a person that has no idea of who anyone is and no ability to experience happiness. I'd rather that wealth be passed on to my family instead of the health care industry.

JMHO,
Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: If you had dementia [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 Can't agree with this enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will
Be my directive.

If the mind is gone, put me in the ground. It’s better for everyone in the end.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had dementia [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
This will
Be my directive.

I already have it set up, notarized, lawyered, etc...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll follow suit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
integrator wrote:
This will
Be my directive.

If only it were that easy. It should be. But, it isn't. We (by "we," I mean the healthcare system, the courts, and society in general) simply do not allow people to "die with dignity" as defined by the person in question.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: If you had dementia [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:
integrator wrote:
This will
Be my directive.

If only it were that easy. It should be. But, it isn't. We (by "we," I mean the healthcare system, the courts, and society in general) simply do not allow people to "die with dignity" as defined by the person in question.

I fully understand that but it’s better than not doing anything as far as end of life care goes. Plus I live in California and we don’t have nearly as many bible thumpers out here all worried about morality and human and all that mumbo jumbo....

Mrs. Duffy’s grandma went out on a lethal dose administered by Mrs. Duffy’s mom.

And Mrs. Duffy’s mom had the plug pulled on her at the hospital. Her (the mom) and I made that decision together.

Fun stuff.... :(

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya, and you are right about Cali. One of the very, very few things that state seems to get right.

I've seen some ridiculous cases. We are much more kind and humane with out dogs than we are with our family members in many cases.

I'm in the same situation as you - I have all the legal docs in place and I have a wife who I know will honor my wishes. Unfortunately, in many cases, that still isn't enough. I just hope in my case it is.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least, if it isn't enough, you will never know.

My wife runs the dementia ward of our local hospital. I don't know how someone can do that job.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had dementia [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

My wife runs the dementia ward of our local hospital. I don't know how someone can do that job.

Your wife is a saint. My wife was the rehab director of a long term care facility, so, she dealt with dementia frequently, but, not to that degree. Her mother suffered from dementia during the last 2 years of her life. Fortunately, it never got severe enough that she failed to recognize her family before she passed.

Quote Reply
Re: If you had dementia [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I do compliance work for a couple of retirement homes (back up generator tanks) and just walking down the hall to the nurse station where the monitoring system resides traumatizes me.

Tell your wife thanks.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote JWe are much more kind and humane with out dogs than we are with our family members in many cases.[/quote]
Has always struck me as ironic that we say we're acting "humanely" when we put down a dying pet, but don't allow the same thing for "humans."
Quote Reply
Re: If you had dementia [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
More morphine, less antibiotics.
I agree, I'd like to be comfortable on my way out. I pray for a moment of clarity to say one last goodbye to loved ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No-no treatment.
I have no kids, sister just died in Oct and I will probably outlive my sweet husband who has already lost his legs to diabetes. I am not a fun, fabulous friend either so I suspect I will be alone. If I have any choice in the matter, I will not end up in a SNF but have full control of my "end" in my own home-if it comes to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about what you're dealing with, OP.

Seeing the title of this thread made me wonder if it was going to be a "would you end your own life if given a dementia diagnosis" thread.

Two years ago, lost my mom to an aggressive form of dementia (healthy, active 68-year-old, died within three years). Even given the relatively short timeline of my mom's/family's experience -brutal enough, but not the extended timeline many deal with- it's really changed my idea(s) of end-of-life decisions. The low stats of Oregonians who actually went through with ending their own lives, aside, unfortunately I've started grappling with how I'd handle a dementia diagnosis. I keep coming back to the idea that I wouldn't want to put those around me through it, and I wouldn't want to go through it, either.

Not long back, a local captain of industry (former Fortune 500 company CEO), philanthropist, outdoor conservationist and all-around lover of life walked off his condo balcony having been given a diagnosis of dementia some months before. He'd already seen a spouse through a dementia death, previously; he knew what it was.

Would I have the guts to do it while I still had the mental faculties and physical abilities? Hard to say. But I think about it frequently.

Live it up while you can, people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately for me, circumstances kind of dictate my choice if it were to hit me. My family would lose my pension if I were to die, and their health insurance, so a very sizable amount. SO I have told my wife that if they can just keep my body breathing, regardless of my brain activity or pain levels, keep it going. I know how to suffer, especially if it is for a good cause At least up until the point where my Cadillac health insurance is not paying anymore, then pull the plug. Because we got married after I had retired, no benefits accrue to the family once I'm gone.

So when you guys see the go fund me page that Dan sets up for my family after I get hit by a car, or die in a swim race, be generous...(-;
Quote Reply

Prev Next