Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Photo of principal, teachers posing with noose in CA. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is interesting information, the time line. Perhaps a reflection of no initial threat to things and status quo initially socially and economically but over time as things changed there was a combination of accelerated change and backlash.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of principal, teachers posing with noose in CA. [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing there are a number of factors behind the numbers.

One may be a trend toward a more lawful society or at least one that respects the rule of law. The more effective and efficient a court system, the less need to resort some form of vigilante or informal justice. This probably accounts for most of the white lynchings, especially along the Western frontier.

Others impacting blacks may be emancipation and the reaction to it, the end of Reconstruction, the rise of Jim Crow laws and their enforcement, and the Klan and its rebirth.

I also think the racial breakdown by states is interesting. There are some states such as New York with hardly any lynchings. There are Western states like California and Colorado where the vast majority of lynchings were of whites. And then there are former slave states that had lots of lynchings, with the overwhelming majority being black.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo of principal, teachers posing with noose in CA. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes... I think now in our modern day of connection and communication it may be an intellectual anthropomorphizing of how different the world was and there were 10's of thousands of mini worlds in time and place and how they functioned in unique isolation.
Last edited by: NormM: May 14, 19 19:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next