Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p3 wrote:
If you are not a medical person, why would you stop? Why do we presume that if you don't stop, that you are selfish? A friend of mine crashed in a triathlon years ago, severely injured his back, and a large guy stopped and tried to pick him up and .... caused further damage. But hey he stopped, so I guess that makes him a "great guy". I would be absolutely useless if I stopped by to "help" someone ... but folks would think a was "nice" at least.

I guess what I am more concerned about is the virtue signaling and the presumption that if you don't stop, your selfish ... and if you do, you're a great person. I mean, what exactly did this age grouper do that "helped" the fallen athlete - article does not say.
Quite an astonishing and disgusting attitude.
Shame on you.

Not only are you pretending not to understand the multitude of ways you can help, but you're suggesting those who behave normally and stop to help are doing so to make themselves look good. Also the term "virtue signalling" in this context? No.
You are broken.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [jth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jth wrote:
I don’t know about the US, but in Denmark you’re required by law to help people in life threatening distress (with some exceptions). Punishable with fine or prison up to 3 months.

If you’re the first person on the scene and don’t know first aid you can still help: secure the scene so the person is not hit by other cars or bikes, call for help, etc.

A few years back I crashed and fractured my femur on a training ride; I am very thankful that people stopped and helped me instead of just assuming I would get up and ride on.

Similar legal situation here in Germany. Shame that rules like that are needed. All your suggestions what the first on the scene can do are correct, of course.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [Axel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did not portray yourself as a saint, I just liked that you made a very positive decision when called upon. And then I called upon you. :-)

Enjoy your vacation here and see you on Zwift

Axel wrote:
Thank you everybody. Very kind!

I did not want to portray myself as saint, I hope I didn’t.

Also I didn’t want to put blame on those who didn’t stop. They were closer to him when he fell and had less time to decide what to do. Also they might have thought he would get up again soon.

I had more time to watch and see that he was too much in pain to get up.

Axel
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in US it’s probaly more state to state but we do have a “good semartian” law. You can’t be sued if you give basic help as long as it’s to the level you are trained for.

It’s why I suggested having basic cpr training will allow you to help in any emergency.

Of course randomly moving/picking up a guy w a broken back is usually a no no unless they are in a emergency situation like a fire/about to be run over etc. most would say to stabilize the individual and then let the professionals do the moving.

But those actions imo are way minority; but I'd have to know the scenario etc. If he was trying to be a "hero" than he acted incorrectly and is actual likely liable with that type of actions. But most people behave with common sense when helping in an emergency. Most of the time it's simply calming the scene, assessing the issue and then waiting for the proper professional help. But just clearing the scene and/or getting basic evaluation of injured athlete can be very helpful if nothing more than a "calming" influence on the injured person.

And no I dont think most people would stop for the "glory"; most people stop simply because of common decency.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 11, 19 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper stopped during 70.3 St. George to assist fallen athlete [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race, exactly, was that?
Quote Reply

Prev Next