Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Places to Swim in Sydney
Quote | Reply
While there looks to be a ton of pools - many seem to also be tourist destinations (Bondi Iceberg, etc...) anyone know the best pools to get some laps - or best times to hit those pools. Will be in Sydney for 2 weeks in June.
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [triagain15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew boy Charlton pool and north Sydney Olympic pool are really good. Icebergs is rubbish to train in imo. Is good for people watching tho and the walk around the coast from icebergs is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sydney is a big place.

Macquarie University has an excellent pool. They have a good website with lane availability for each week: https://secure.activecarrot.com/...cility/index/382/780
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend north Sydney pool and also boy Charlton pool.

Don’t go between 12-2pm. I suggest afternoon.

You won’t regret either.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this swim https://www.boldandbeautifulmanly.com.au/ its a 1.5km round trip open water swim at Manly on the Northern Beaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy Charlton Pool in the Domain is closed over winter. The one in Manly is open all year round. There are plenty of 50m pools in Sydney though:

Cook & Phillip (indoor and cold)
Ian Thorpe (see Ian's legendary speedsuit in a glass case by the door)
Manly Aquatic Centre
Manly Andrew boy Charlton (outdoor 50m and 25m + indoor 25m and kids pool)
North Sydney Olypmic Pool (salt water and very iconic. Right under the northern end of the harbour bridge)
Prince Alfred Park Pool

Thats just a few of the more central ones.

There are also lots of 50m salt water rock pools along the Northern beaches. Curl Curl is probably the best of them, but Narrabeen and Freshwater are also good.

Alternatively, you can join the Bold & Beautiful swim squad at the southern end of Manly beach every morning to swim to Shelley beach and back 750m each way. (they wait at the halfway point). They leave at 6:00am, 6:30am and 7:00am with the sessions getting progressively more busy. Enjoy watching the dusky whaler sharks underneath you. Don't worry, they're only small. ;)

https://www.boldandbeautifulmanly.com.au/

Balmoral Tri Club also do a coached open water swim every Saturday at Balmoral Beach if you want an open water swim with no surf. Starts at 2:45pm from the clubhouse. Visitors welcome. Plenty of club mates swim at the beach before / after work. I'm happy to show you around if you like.

http://www.balmoraltriclub.org.au/

It's wetsuit temps in Sydney now if you're soft like me, but many people swim without all through the winter. The fools. ;)

PM me if you want more info.
Last edited by: benb: May 9, 19 17:31
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABC (Andrew Boy Charlton) is closed in June.

In the city, I would recommend Cook Phillip Park Pool (amazing opening hours but underground), Prince Alfred Park (nice outdoor pool), Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre (I find it usually quiet). Avoid early mornings (6am-7.30am), lunch time (12-2pm) and evenings (5-7pm).

Many beaches have beautiful rock pools (Clovelly, Malabar, Bronte, Manly, etc.) but not ideal for laps.

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bondi. Iceberg.

Thank me later

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:

There are also lots of 50m salt water rock pools along the Northern beaches. Curl Curl is probably the best of them, but Narrabeen and Freshwater are also good.

Alternatively, you can join the Bold & Beautiful swim squad at the southern end of Manly beach every morning to swim to Shelley beach and back 750m each way. (they wait at the halfway point). They leave at 6:00am, 6:30am and 7:00am with the sessions getting progressively more busy. Enjoy watching the dusky whaler sharks underneath you. Don't worry, they're only small. ;)

https://www.boldandbeautifulmanly.com.au/

It's wetsuit temps in Sydney now if you're soft like me, but many people swim without all through the winter. The fools. ;)

B&B at Manly is a must do.

In addition to the early starters at 6 and 6:30, some of the 7am group swim a double (2.5km) or triple (3.5km). The 6am group will be starting in the dark at that time of year, and it will be getting light for the 6:30. It's a lovely time to swim. The drop in ocean temperatures lags behind the winter air temps, so early June isn't too bad. It's also usually a good time for flatter conditions and visibility as well.

As well as the duskies, the Port Jackson and Crested Horn Sharks turn up for winter and spring when the water is cooler. It's also giant cuttlefish season. You're pretty much guaranteed to see something interesting, especially if you're around for the winter solstice when there's the traditional B&B nude swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the recommendations....I'm staying in Woolloomooloo - these are all within distance - looks like I need to get up early for the B&B swim ....sounds like a not to miss opportunity for some open water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in Woolloomooloo then it has to be Boy Charlton during the warmer months or Cook Phillip in midwinter when Boy Charlton is closed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of Icebergs. It's not great in the middle of summer when it's really packed, but I'd recommend it if you'd like to experience swimming in a rock pool. Icebergs stands out to me because of its position next to the surf break and overview of Bondi Beach. You can do proper lap swimming as there are black lines and lane ropes (I can't think of any other Sydney rock pool that has both) but you'll need to pick a time when it's quiet... alternatively, you can do the Bondi to Coogee walk and stop at Icebergs to surf watch. In June, it is a little cool.. .probably about 16C? (a bit cooler than the ocean temps)

North Sydney is another iconic pool, with the Harbour Bridge right above you. It's a heated salty (saltttyyy!) pool though.

Definitely check out Bold and Beautiful swim squad. Keep an eye on the weather forecast (surf size, swell, wind/ direction and tides). If you like swimming in 20C+ temps you might want to pack a wetsuit. The daily blog includes photos and weather conditions, worth having a look. It's an absolutely glorious swim, like swimming in an aquarium.

If you're up to doing a race, there's this winter solstice one at Mona Vale https://www.oceanswims.com.au/...mona-vale-nsw-e.html
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail wrote:
Definitely check out Bold and Beautiful swim squad. Keep an eye on the weather forecast (surf size, swell, wind/ direction and tides). If you like swimming in 20C+ temps you might want to pack a wetsuit. The daily blog includes photos and weather conditions, worth having a look. It's an absolutely glorious swim, like swimming in an aquarium.

The surf conditions forecast can be very misleading for B&B.

The swim is generally well sheltered from the prevailing southerly swells. Of all the times I've heard reports on the radio for "hazardous surf conditions for boating, surfing and swimming" as I've driven down to Manly, (and you will hear it often), I've never missed a swim, including one year when I logged over 1100km at B&B.
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
snail wrote:

The swim is generally well sheltered from the prevailing southerly swells. Of all the times I've heard reports on the radio for "hazardous surf conditions for boating, surfing and swimming" as I've driven down to Manly, (and you will hear it often), I've never missed a swim, including one year when I logged over 1100km at B&B.

You are right about this, but I think regular swimmers like yourself are probably much hardier than the occasional ocean swimmer (which I've become in the last year, and more wussy!) If it's forecast for very gusty winds and big surf - might be more of a washing machine than a nice leisurely swim...
Quote Reply
Re: Places to Swim in Sydney [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail wrote:
satanellus wrote:
snail wrote:

You are right about this, but I think regular swimmers like yourself are probably much hardier than the occasional ocean swimmer (which I've become in the last year, and more wussy!) If it's forecast for very gusty winds and big surf - might be more of a washing machine than a nice leisurely swim...

Yes, I do like big surf and have occasionally ventured out through the break when the all but a few of us have taken that option. However, on days that are a bit rough, swimmers will enter the water at "halfway" near the rock pool, or if still worse, enter at Shelly Beach. Under either of those conditions, swimmers just swim between the point off Manly and Shelly.

Though I would guess of the days when I've heard a dangerous surf warning, around 80% of the time almost everyone is entering the water from Manly as per usual.
Quote Reply