Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
I'm looking into getting a new road bike (S-works Tarmac) but what I'm struggling with at the moment is do I go with the current trend in cycling and buy a disc road bike? or Should I just buy a 2018 rim brake version? Advantages for the disc is obviously more stopping power, but the disadvantage is more weight and more expensive. People that I've spoken with seem to say that a rim brake road bike will feel more responsive/ accelerate quicker and is less expensive. This will be a dream bike build, so I don't want to make the wrong decision here. Thanks.

I had a 2006 S Works tarmac that I had crash replaced from Specialized for a 2010 model. Had it up until a couple months ago. Last year, I bought a Roubaix that had thru axles, Di2, and disc brakes. All the “new tech”. I didn’t ride my S-Works Tarmac rim brake bike ever since I bought the Roubaix. Since I had the Tarmac for so many years, I did not want to sell it until I knew for sure I didn’t need it anymore. On the scale, the Roubaix is heavier than my Tarmac. I can’t tell when riding it though. The Di2 is flawless and I have zero desire to go back to cable derailleurs. The hydro disc brakes are so smooth and offer great stopping power. Again, I can’t imagine wanting to go back to rim brakes. Initially I thought about not having any disc wheels to swap. I went into the shop and the shop owner said I was a fool and just to ride the carbon Roval wheels everyday and don’t even bother with a second set of wheels. I have been doing just that. One bike and one set of wheels. Simplicity.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
MKirk wrote:
KONO wrote:
and the maintenance sucks.

This is just one comment I just don’t understand. Personally I think maintenance on disc brakes is so much easier than cantis. I used 2 sets of wheels and they interchange with no needed adjustments. Yea, I may get a ting ting during a ride for a few seconds here or there....no big deal. I get a chuckle out of canti users if it’s even damp out , their brakes just suck. Heck with discs, you really almost never even need to bleed them. 99.9 % of the time you can just tap the lines to push any air to the top and fill the fluid.....doing front and back takes all of under 5 minutes.
Maintenance is really just brake pad changes and even that is easier than wth cantis.
We're talking road bikes. It's not discs vs cantis (which also suck). It's discs vs road rim calipers, and I just don't think there's any comparison on the maintenance front.

Still don’t see any maintenance issues with disc.... I have them on 5 different bikes...set em and forgot em. And like I said, the one time I had a soft lever, took all of 5 minutes to take care of doing both levers. I guess, for the type of people that can’t turn a screw driver so to speak, it could be an issue, but then I’d assume these are the same people having a shop replace brake cables so the maintenance “issue” between the two systems would be just the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
lanierb wrote:
MKirk wrote:
KONO wrote:
and the maintenance sucks.

This is just one comment I just don’t understand. Personally I think maintenance on disc brakes is so much easier than cantis. I used 2 sets of wheels and they interchange with no needed adjustments. Yea, I may get a ting ting during a ride for a few seconds here or there....no big deal. I get a chuckle out of canti users if it’s even damp out , their brakes just suck. Heck with discs, you really almost never even need to bleed them. 99.9 % of the time you can just tap the lines to push any air to the top and fill the fluid.....doing front and back takes all of under 5 minutes.
Maintenance is really just brake pad changes and even that is easier than wth cantis.
We're talking road bikes. It's not discs vs cantis (which also suck). It's discs vs road rim calipers, and I just don't think there's any comparison on the maintenance front.

Still don’t see any maintenance issues with disc.... I have them on 5 different bikes...set em and forgot em. And like I said, the one time I had a soft lever, took all of 5 minutes to take care of doing both levers. I guess, for the type of people that can’t turn a screw driver so to speak, it could be an issue, but then I’d assume these are the same people having a shop replace brake cables so the maintenance “issue” between the two systems would be just the same.

I’m in complete agreement here...I went to road disc about 3 years ago and will never go back. Maintenance, braking power (in all conditions), and wheel swaps are all better with disc.

I upgraded that bike from 105 to Ultegra Di2 and the performance is even better. I’m a total convert to Di2 now, and the Ultegra discs are superb. No worries about heating up my latex tubes either, haha!!

To the OP, on a brand-new road bike I vote disc all the way. No contest.

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are building a dream bike for crits? I race a lot of crits. If I was racing my dream bike I would be forever scared of crashing out and destroying my dream bike. (I don’t crash a lot, but would still be tentative).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
Primary usage would be Road Races and Crits. I'm using the cross bike for anything off road.

I'd go rim brake and get a set of those sweet, sweet direct mount EEbrakes :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
I'm looking into getting a new road bike (S-works Tarmac) but what I'm struggling with at the moment is do I go with the current trend in cycling and buy a disc road bike? or Should I just buy a 2018 rim brake version? Advantages for the disc is obviously more stopping power, but the disadvantage is more weight and more expensive. People that I've spoken with seem to say that a rim brake road bike will feel more responsive/ accelerate quicker and is less expensive. This will be a dream bike build, so I don't want to make the wrong decision here. Thanks.

I come from the mountain bike world....I think it's insane that you guys didn't ALWAYS have disc brake options. The manufacturers are obviously trying to kill you. Who cares about a couple ounces? Have confidence stopping in the rain. Get the discs.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody please tell the peloton colour TV is here! Despite being paid to ride disc, half of them still ride rim, including Liege Bastogne Liege winner Fulsang.

If with the pressure they have from sponsors to ride disc so many resist... I presume in average they believe rim is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following up, I went with the Disc version. What an awesome bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa that's sweet!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boostedcvc wrote:
Are building a dream bike for crits? I race a lot of crits. If I was racing my dream bike I would be forever scared of crashing out and destroying my dream bike. (I don’t crash a lot, but would still be tentative).
You probably won't crash.

And if you do there's frame crash replacement.

And if you don't want to pay for that you can get velo insurance.

And if you don't have insurance you can just use a crash as an excuse to get a better dream bike.

And if none of it works out, fuck it it's only money you should focus on having fun. Bike unpurchased due to fear you'd lose it, or purchased but nor ridden, is the most useless thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful. Congrats!!

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

This is the internet so everyone has an equal voice regardless of knowledge and experience. The "discs don't require more maintenance" crowd (quite wrongly) won this thread, so just to balance things out a little I wanted to refer you all to another recent thread, and in particular this post:
Quote:
Here is my unofficial cheat for when new pads squeal on disc brakes. Keep in mind Shimano will probably tell you don't do this but its worked every time for me so far.

Remove pads from caliper
Place the pads face up on your driveway or other heat/flame proof surface
Use a butane torch on the pads for 10-15 seconds to bake them and burn off any contaminants (wear eye protection)
Remove the glaze on the pad with sandpaper/emery cloth.
Clean the rotor with isopropyl
Install pads
Bed pads
I rest my case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not going off-road, than rim brakes for sure.

My winter bike has Campy Record 12 disc brakes. They stop better in wet, but are kind of a hassle. When they rub (and they will eventually rub) you have to take it to a shop to fix (no pulling out a multi-tool and making a 2 min adjustment roadside). You have to be delicate with the rotors swapping wheels (no oils, etc.). They are heavier (doesn't matter for my winter bike, but would on a race bike). They look ugly (in my opinion).

All my race bikes are rim. TBH, I think disc brakes on road were a solution to a problem that no one really had. Carbon brake tracks like ENVE, Zipp NSW, etc as so good now, unless you're really pushing the limits in rain you don't need discs. The limitation to braking on a road bike is the contact patch of your tires, not the brake interface.

And just think what great deals you'll be able to get on rim brake wheelsets a few years from now......

EDIT: Oh well, didn't read the whole thread. Looks like OP already pulled the trigger. Oh well. Congrats, but for other people considering the same thing, my vote is still rim, even if money is no object.
Last edited by: wintershade: May 30, 19 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to think disc or nothing.
Now, I think tt depends on your usage of the bike though.
A lot of people are riding their road bikes on rougher, possibly muddier roads, light trails, etc. If that is you, a disc brake might be a better option.

These are good questions to ask and considerations to make.

Yes, you can get a "gravel bike" if you like, but a regular road bike will do fine on most gravel roads that are not ridiculous. With disc brakes that opens up room to put wider tires on for this use - 28mm or perhaps even more.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice bike!

Yet, I'm disappointed that Specialized is not offering a rim brake version on their Roubaix model. A Specialized dealer said that will be the trend and there will be no rim brakes in the future.

With the riding I do, rim brakes with Kool Stop pads work. Would rather not have to maintain a disc brake nor have to manage N+1 bikes with rim brakes and disc brakes. The difference between rim and disc frames also limits me in selecting a replacement frame for the parts I now have.

I think bike stores like rim brakes because it probably places the simple maintenance that I can do out of my reach and into their hands.

Is it easy to take front and rear wheels off and put the bike in the trunk? Hope so because I might be there one day.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

Yet, I'm disappointed that Specialized is not offering a rim brake version on their Roubaix model. A Specialized dealer said that will be the trend and there will be no rim brakes in the future.

With the riding I do, rim brakes with Kool Stop pads work. #1 Would rather not have to maintain a disc brake nor have to manage N+1 bikes with rim brakes and disc brakes. #2 The difference between rim and disc frames also limits me in selecting a replacement frame for the parts I now have.

#3 I think bike stores like rim brakes because it probably places the simple maintenance that I can do out of my reach and into their hands.

#4 Is it easy to take front and rear wheels off and put the bike in the trunk? Hope so because I might be there one day.

#1 - in a few years then you'll be 100% disc, so this is the painful transition. I am with you here as I'm in that at the moment too. Although I'm managing a 2 for 1 change with the gears too, as my non disc are 9/10 speed hubs, the disc 11 speed.

#2 - ditto. But then it's saved me money in the short run as I would have already bought a new Tri frame but am keeping that for an extra couple of years whilst a better range of disc frames are out. I'm not buying a soon to be obsolete rim frame.

#3 - not sure - I've yet to touch the disc brakes on my road bike in the 18 months / 12,000km I've had it other than aligning the front caliper which I did myself. 2012 epic MTB has been in shop twice for brake work/service. I agree however that bleeding the brakes is a job that I can't really be arsed with, despite even building my own wheels for commuting for many years, and building 3 of the 9 bike fleet from components myself. However the amount I've spent on tools I've used once/ twice is about the same as if I'd gone to a shop for servicing.

#4 Easier as there's no need to open the rim brakes up/deflate the tyre (ok, that's only for some bikes/brakes/tyres but made me swear a lot when I punctured in a race, inflated the replaced tube then had to deflate to get back into the frame).
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super helpful answer. Thank you so much for taking the time to address my concerns as a certain dread was coming over the transition to disc (especially the bleeding of disc brakes).

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next