Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Marmot sushi anyone? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Eating rodents is not unusual.

Marmots are a traditional food in Siberia and on the Mongolian steppe.
Guinea Pigs are a Peruvian delicacy.
Capybaras make for a tasty and large meal in tropical South America.
Nutria are great for furs but also eaten in Europe and Asia.

A little closer to home - people still hunt and eat squirrel and possum in parts of the USA.

I have a Peruvian friend who assures me that guinea pig are delicious, especially the feet which are crisp and crunchy.

My initial thought when I read your post was that nutria are native to South America, I didn't realise they were farmed in other parts of the world.

I'd be offended if I were a possum and had been called a rodent. :-( I like possums.

I’ve had guinea pig in Peru maybe it was the way it was prepared but it tasted like a cross between squirrel and muskrat. And possum are not that bad if you brine them and slow cook ‘em.
Quote Reply
Re: Marmot sushi anyone? [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Eating rodents is not unusual.

Marmots are a traditional food in Siberia and on the Mongolian steppe.
Guinea Pigs are a Peruvian delicacy.
Capybaras make for a tasty and large meal in tropical South America.
Nutria are great for furs but also eaten in Europe and Asia.

A little closer to home - people still hunt and eat squirrel and possum in parts of the USA.

I have a Peruvian friend who assures me that guinea pig are delicious, especially the feet which are crisp and crunchy.

My initial thought when I read your post was that nutria are native to South America, I didn't realise they were farmed in other parts of the world.

I'd be offended if I were a possum and had been called a rodent. :-( I like possums.

I’ve had guinea pig in Peru maybe it was the way it was prepared but it tasted like a cross between squirrel and muskrat. And possum are not that bad if you brine them and slow cook ‘em.

I'll have to get back to you on my friend's traditional family recipe for guinea pig.

My fondness for possums is primarily due to the animals that we call a possums in Australia, which are quite different to the Virginia opossum that is so familiar in the US.

There are about 60 possum species distributed mainly through the forested areas of Australia and New Guinea. Ranging in size from a quarter of an ounce to around 15 pounds, they are more closely related to kangaroos, wallabies, koala and wombats, than to American opossums.
Quote Reply

Prev Next