Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin VIRB Elite Combo Mount
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a mount that will allow me to put my older VIRB Elite below the GPS.

Basically like this, but one that fits with the older units. (Link below only works with the newer ones)

Does such a thing exist?

https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin VIRB Elite Combo Mount [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The oldest Virbs have an adapter that makes them slot into gopro triple-O mounts.
$4: https://www.aliexpress.com/...61-a274-70fa7815f677
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin VIRB Elite Combo Mount [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I following you correctly that this will fit the older VIRB? I looks a lot like the one I'm returning. I called Garmin and they said the newer ones had a "universal Go Pro type mount", but the older ones were proprietary and thus were hard to find mounts for. Will this fit that mount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a 3D printed adaptor on ebay that will convert VIRB Elite mount to gopro and you can work from that.

https://www.ebay.com/...p2485497.m4902.l9144
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin VIRB Elite Combo Mount [Zmlick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zmlick wrote:
I found a 3D printed adaptor on ebay that will convert VIRB Elite mount to gopro and you can work from that.

Yup. That would work. My Virbs both came with gopro adapters (pics attached).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin VIRB Elite Combo Mount [Zmlick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zmlick wrote:

This is what I did. One of mine broke after 2+ years so went ahead and rebought it. Just don't overtighten it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what you link to, i have that mount on my desk right now. with a virb xe attached.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Zmlick wrote:

Yup. That would work. My Virbs both came with gopro adapters (pics attached).

Is that adapter in your pictures the eBay piece, or did it come elsewhere? Is it made by Garmin?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin VIRB Elite Combo Mount [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what you link to, i have that mount on my desk right now. with a virb xe attached.

Which link are you referring to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
Slowman wrote:

the amazon one in your initial post.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I believe the Virb XE uses the newer GoPro style mount, unlike my older Elite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
Slowman wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:
Slowman wrote:

what you see here says VIRB XE on the camera. in red letters. the mount looks to me like what you're linking to on amazon. the mount itself says garmin on it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:
Slowman wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:
Slowman wrote:

what you see here says VIRB XE on the camera. in red letters. the mount looks to me like what you're linking to on amazon. the mount itself says garmin on it.

Correct, but you are using a VIRB XE and I am using a VIRB Elite which has a different mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:

Correct, but you are using a VIRB XE and I am using a VIRB Elite which has a different mount.

Yes, indeed. The old Virbs are cigar shaped and the new ones are rectangular. The new ones do not require the adapter.

My old virbs both came with the adapter. Check out this link: https://www.racycles.com/...EoDMWfBoC8HIQAvD_BwE

It says: "We even have an adapter to use VIRB with other industry mounts."

They are talking about the adapter that goes between the old virb mount and the GoPro standard...seen in my pics above.

Did you buy used? If new, do you have any other bits that were cast aside in a box somewhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:

Yes, indeed. The old Virbs are cigar shaped and the new ones are rectangular. The new ones do not require the adapter.

My old virbs both came with the adapter. Check out this link: https://www.racycles.com/...EoDMWfBoC8HIQAvD_BwE

They are talking about the adapter that goes between the old virb mount and the GoPro standard...seen in my pics above.

Did you buy used? If new, do you have any other bits that were cast aside in a box somewhere?

I did buy used. I just left a message with my buddy to see if he still has that piece
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking that product .....I wonder if Garmin is going to update it....I know completely unrelated...don't judge me....just sayin'.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:

My buddy went through his drawer and had a ton of random stuff. Do you know which one of these was supposed to come with the VIRB?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:

My buddy went through his drawer and had a ton of random stuff. Do you know which one of these was supposed to come with the VIRB?

All of it is virb specific. The two round knobs is the Virb-specific interface the other side is for other things.

From top to bottom (I think...)

1. GoPro mount. This is the main one you need, along with a clamping screw.
  2. low profile GoPro mount? Not as secure perhaps, might need if space is tight?
  3. goes with number 8
  4. same as 2
  5. clamping screw for 1,2,3,4
  6. screw
  7. screw
  8. surface mount. There is a sticky pad underneath. Could stick to a surfboard, helmet. If you try that, also attach a lanyard. goes with 3

I've never used anything except 1. Works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:

All of it is virb specific. The two round knobs is the Virb-specific interface the other side is for other things.

2. low profile GoPro mount? Not as secure perhaps, might need if space is tight?
  3. goes with number 8
  4. same as 2
  6. screw
  7. screw
  8. surface mount. There is a sticky pad underneath. Could stick to a surfboard, helmet. If you try that, also attach a lanyard. goes with 3

Is what I circled what I need then? Number one, two just in case it is tight, and five to clamp it all?
Last edited by: greenlawnracing: May 12, 19 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
The oldest Virbs have an adapter that makes them slot into gopro triple-O mounts.
$4: https://www.aliexpress.com/...61-a274-70fa7815f677
It would be nice to be able to have a mount like that to fit the Virb Elite directly to avoid having an extra connection between the camera and mount. My gopro/virb adapter stripped out from using it at a crit with very rough pavement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:

Is what I circled what I need then? Number one, two just in case it is tight, and five to clamp it all?

the uppermost circled one (in your picture) is the one you need. It has one end with two "fins" (to be grabbed by Go-Pro style mount) and another end with a single fin (compatible with Garmin's hardware)

i would not recommend the 3D-printed adapter, at least not the long adapter (this one: https://www.ebay.com/...2:g:Jr0AAOSwofxUktlq). Had two of those, and both broke when I rode over some rough roads. Furthermore, due to construction of those adapters, I literally had to break it apart so that the parts attached to it could be wrangled free.

One used to be able to buy the mounting bracket, and I believe those came with additional adapters like the one shown in your photo
Last edited by: echappist: May 12, 19 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:

3. goes with number 8
  4. same as 2
  6. screw
  7. screw

Yup...the top piece and a screw. You'll be set!
Quote Reply