Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019 CT (Quassy) 70.3 [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any idea how much the park rental fee is, what the police costs are, and the parking shuttles?

Hint: it is WAY more than you think.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 CT (Quassy) 70.3 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Do you have any idea how much the park rental fee is, what the police costs are, and the parking shuttles?

Hint: it is WAY more than you think.

I'm not arguing they don't have some big costs. But these costs are nowhere near $3-400k, which would still leave 100-200k profit from the event. I'd be shocked if park rental, police costs,and shuttles were over $75k total.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be prepared to be shocked, then, because you're low. By a lot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

I don't have any first hand experience, therefore I'll take your word. It does come as a shock to me. I would estimate at renting a park for a day around $20k or so, police maybe $50k?, shuttle buses I'd guess 20-25k (@$150/hr for 10 buses for 16 hours).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to delve too far into specifics, but:

• Park rental starts much earlier on race week;
  • Police are incredibly expensive in this area;
  • Shuttle busses will also require shift changes in drivers (max time they can be on for is 14 hours), which increases cost.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

• Shuttle busses will also require shift changes in drivers (max time they can be on for is 14 hours), which increases cost.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

wouldnt be surprised if the cost of permits were higher than in the past. the communities in the area were not thrilled about hosting the race again and put up a fight. only way to appease them is maybe with some funds.

also, to the point about the road conditions. i did the half in 2016 and it was raining so at times, hard to see the potholes and crevices, and the outlines washed away. that steep area, maybe make it a no pass zone. i understand limiting the speed is tough on a few skilled riders. i know i was riding my brakes down the whole way for the half and olympic when i did that race.

would they cap the registration? maybe? i agree that the full swim would have helped spread the people out some more. and any of us that live in CT shouldnt be surprised by the road conditions. not just the tough winters, but the lack of money for repairing infrastructure. maybe if IM gave some money to fix the roads it would also help with good will among the angry residents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRobTri wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

I don't have any first hand experience, therefore I'll take your word. It does come as a shock to me. I would estimate at renting a park for a day around $20k or so, police maybe $50k?, shuttle buses I'd guess 20-25k (@$150/hr for 10 buses for 16 hours).

I can verify that. it's crazy

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 CT (Quassy) 70.3 [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
also, to the point about the road conditions. i did the half in 2016 and it was raining so at times, hard to see the potholes and crevices, and the outlines washed away. that steep area, maybe make it a no pass zone. i understand limiting the speed is tough on a few skilled riders. i know i was riding my brakes down the whole way for the half and olympic when i did that race.

Are you sure it was 2016? I did it the half that year too and didn't get rained on at all
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 CT (Quassy) 70.3 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
BabaBooey wrote:

Are you sure it was 2016? I did it the half that year too and didn't get rained on at all

Oh it was bad! The Olympic race that year was beautiful and sunny. For the half, lots of rain and then it got really bad for me on the run. I was a later finisher
Quote Reply

Prev Next