Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for Grand Sumo Tournament
Quote | Reply
As with many other interesting travel topics on this forum.

A colleague and I have a free day in Tokyo on May 18th and decided that the Sumo Grand Tournament was something we both wanted to see. We just purchased tickets through a reseller - hopefully those logistics will work out and we will receive the tickets...

With that being said, we are trying to find out some details as it appears the daily schedule begins at 8 AM and runs to early evening.

Would appreciate advice, first hand knowledge, and recommendations (e.g. when we should arrive, things we should definitely know, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Grand Sumo Tournament [p4ckfill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not, I repeat, do not get ring side seats unless you want 600 lbs of flesh on you. Other than that, just take it in and enjoy the atmosphere. Check out the different types of food, check out the greeting lines (outside the venue) for the wrestlers as they come and go. These guys are treated like rock stars.

These matches are usually short, with the actual ceremonial bits actually longer than the match itself. There will be several classes so if you want to see the superstars then wait until a little bit later in the day. After watching for 2 hrs or so I was ready to move on. Enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Grand Sumo Tournament [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Do not, I repeat, do not get ring side seats unless you want 600 lbs of flesh on you. Other than that, just take it in and enjoy the atmosphere. Check out the different types of food, check out the greeting lines (outside the venue) for the wrestlers as they come and go. These guys are treated like rock stars.

These matches are usually short, with the actual ceremonial bits actually longer than the match itself. There will be several classes so if you want to see the superstars then wait until a little bit later in the day. After watching for 2 hrs or so I was ready to move on. Enjoy it.

Thanks! This is helpful. We were trying to figure out how long to plan to be at the event and it sounds like a few hours. We had read the description about ringside seats and didn't feel like 600 lbs of flesh on us so avoided that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'ld skip watching those fat dudes in thongs, The betting has started. Who will be the winner?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lower classes start in the morning, so no need to go early unless you just want to see more action. The matches have already started and are shown live on TV so you can judge when to go based on that.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Grand Sumo Tournament [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
The lower classes start in the morning, so no need to go early unless you just want to see more action. The matches have already started and are shown live on TV so you can judge when to go based on that.

Thanks. We are thinking of going in the early afternoon for a few hours and will check it out on TV in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Tochinoshin keeps up his winning ways and makes it back to ozeki. Too bad Hakuho is out with injury as that guy just has beautiful craft. It would be a joy to watch him live. Sumo GOAT. Those 2 and Takayasu have to be my favorites. Thank goodness for NHK World and YouTube for me to get my sumo replays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how was it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he was the dude in the upper right hand corner...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a great time. Cool to see the crowds, the ritual of it, and just soak it in.

Thanks again for the advice. We got there about 2 and stayed nearly until the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for Grand Sumo Tournament [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We did see a guy get pretty much flattened. He stood up right away and the crowd applauded. Fun to see.
Quote Reply