Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for bike computer for racing
Quote | Reply
I race using my garmin 920 with quick release. This has cost me some time in my last two races due to transfer issues from wrist to bike then bike to wrist. Also, last race accidentally clicked through to T2 in transition mode on bike and had to completely reset mid ride and I dont want to be messing around with this anymore. I am looking for a very basic bike computer that's compatible with garmin accessories and my quarq PM. I never ride outside, so I dont need anything fancy or maps. I really just need a fixed computer with a decent sized screen for racing. I am looking for suggestions because I have no experience with bike computers. Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for bike computer for racing [Kmck27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you need this computer to do?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for bike computer for racing [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show power, speed, time, cadence, HR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get a used Garmin 520 or Wahoo Bolt. Those should be cheap now with all the new products just announced. They are the former standard bearers and rock solid.

I’ve been using a 520 on my TT bike for the rides for three years, and it is perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for bike computer for racing [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I would get a used Garmin 520 or Wahoo Bolt. Those should be cheap now with all the new products just announced. They are the former standard bearers and rock solid.

I’ve been using a 520 on my TT bike for the rides for three years, and it is perfect.

I read that the 520 lacks bluetooth, does that mean it can't pair with my garmin hr strap? I need it to pair with all garmin sensors, quarq, and p hr strap.

I would probably go with the 130 bec of it price but it lacks power data fields that I like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need Bluetooth. All of your devices broadcast ANT+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kmck27 wrote:
I read that the 520 lacks bluetooth, does that mean it can't pair with my garmin hr strap? I need it to pair with all garmin sensors, quarq, and p hr strap.

I would probably go with the 130 bec of it price but it lacks power data fields that I like.

The 520 has Bluetooth to connect to phones to transfer information.The "lacks Bluetooth" comment is specifically in regard to accessory devices that broadcast over BT. This is mostly moot, because almost every accessory device sends over Ant+. I think Polar may be the only exception that does not support Ant+.

Your Garmin HR strap is probably Ant+ only, and it will work with nearly every Garmin device under the sun. Same with Quarq... those are Ant+.

If you are looking for cheap with power, check out the Lezyne Mega-C or Lezyne Mega-XL. (Avoid the Polar units like the M460, because they do not have Ant+.)

Edit: At $200 USD on sale at Amazon, this is pretty tough to beat: https://www.amazon.com/...ke-GPS/dp/B010SDBGQU
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 8, 19 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for bike computer for racing [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Kmck27 wrote:

The 520 has Bluetooth to connect to phones to transfer information.The "lacks Bluetooth" comment is specifically in regard to accessory devices that broadcast over BT. This is mostly moot, because almost every accessory device sends over Ant+. I think Polar may be the only exception that does not support Ant+.

Your Garmin HR strap is probably Ant+ only, and it will work with nearly every Garmin device under the sun. Same with Quarq... those are Ant+.

If you are looking for cheap with power, check out the Lezyne Mega-C or Lezyne Mega-XL. (Avoid the Polar units like the M460, because they do not have Ant+.)

Edit: At $200 USD on sale at Amazon, this is pretty tough to beat: https://www.amazon.com/...ke-GPS/dp/B010SDBGQU

Great, thank you! One more question if you know it. Can my 920 watch and 520 both be connected to hr, sensors, and power meter at the same time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kmck27 wrote:
Great, thank you! One more question if you know it. Can my 920 watch and 520 both be connected to hr, sensors, and power meter at the same time?

Yes, I do this all day long. I have both my watch (was 735XT now 945) and my 520 connected to all of my bike and HR sensors. I use the watch to capture the entire triathlon race. But, I use my bike computer simultaneously to capture just the bike. It works perfectly.

And, I just did a couple test rides like this on Sunday to check out my new 945. In general, an Ant+ sending device (speed, cadence, power, HR, etc.) can connect to multiple receiving devices.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 8, 19 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - no issues there.

I used an old 910 as a bike computer for a while. Worked fine. If you're looking to upgrade watches anytime soon you could do the same w/ your 920.

I finally got a 520+ for Christmas. Perfect size for what you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lezyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just raced with my Garmin 520+ and loved it! It gave me everything I needed and is easy to get started on the bike after I get out of T1. I even forgot to turn it off when I went into T2 but I was able to delete the extra time through Training Peaks the next day. 520 would be all you need, I think the new Garmin that came out looks a bit excessive to race with, way too much information to comprehend while you're racing IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for bike computer for racing [trm08b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trm08b wrote:
I just raced with my Garmin 520+ and loved it! It gave me everything I needed and is easy to get started on the bike after I get out of T1. I even forgot to turn it off when I went into T2 but I was able to delete the extra time through Training Peaks the next day. 520 would be all you need, I think the new Garmin that came out looks a bit excessive to race with, way too much information to comprehend while you're racing IMO.

Turn on auto pause and start the activity before you leave transition for the swim start. Then there's not need to start it in T1 or stop it in T2 and no missed data at the start, no junk time at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for bike computer for racing [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah nice I figured there was another way to do this and not have to mess with it but I hadn't tried much to figure it out. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll +1 the 520. I race with a 920xt and a 520. 920 to keep total time, and 520 for use on bike. Never had a problem with connections on either. As an added bonus, if I mess up pressing the lap buttons on the watch, i have the ride data still stored on the 520 to download and look at later.
Last edited by: MRid: May 8, 19 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
trm08b wrote:

Turn on auto pause and start the activity before you leave transition for the swim start. Then there's not need to start it in T1 or stop it in T2 and no missed data at the start, no junk time at the end.

Did the same thing at IMTX. Proposed solution is genius. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:

If you do this remember to set the "auto power down" setting to off or it will shut down while you're swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for bike computer for racing [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
mgreer wrote:

If you do this remember to set the "auto power down" setting to off or it will shut down while you're swimming.

Also make sure that you have paired with all of your sensors (power, heart rate, speed), or it may not pick them up.
Quote Reply