Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting: Knock Off Saddles
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to see more and more of these pop up on eBay. The one below appears to be a knockoff Specialized Power. If the rails are steel... hard to see the downside for $20.

I'm not sure where I want this thread to go... we could easily get into an endless debate about the cost of bringing a product to market, the harm knockoffs do to brands, product safety, etc. With that said, saddle prices have really gone crazy lately (or is it just me?) and it would be nice to see some competition to bring them back down to reality.

Knockoff Specialized Power Saddle on eBay
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting: Knock Off Saddles [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2x knock off swork toupee (before they padded the shit out of them) that I love. They likely have 20k miles on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting: Knock Off Saddles [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are hit or miss. If you don't weigh much, they might work for you.
I saw one guy's knock off saddle broke, so he couldn't ride anymore during a bike rally.
He used to tell me how much he loves that saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't really see the point. Might look similar from far, but will not be the same 3D shape, hull flex, or foam density as the genuine article. Random brand X is probably better.

I also don't get why anyone would take their chances and buy a "Specelized Tarmec" either when entry level carbon bikes are so good, let alone CAAD frames...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of those power knockoffs for my commuter bike and I think it’s more comfortable than the real thing! Haven’t had a lot of heavy use to remains to be seen how long it will last.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a US$20.00 Selle SMP knockoff as a means of testing the style, thinking I would buy the real thing if I liked it. Ended up liking it a lot. But the real thing cost > 400% more, so I ended up just buying a few more of the knockoffs. I have 100 hours on my first one and it shows no signs of wear.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting: Knock Off Saddles [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I saw one guy's knock off saddle broke, so he couldn't ride anymore during a bike rally.

In fairness, I’ve broken the rails of a stock Selle saddle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought about 3 el-cheapo (but decent looking) saddles from Amazon in the last few years. One was a full-carbon knife-like looking sleek saddle, one was a padded black generic saddle, and one was a padded saddle with a central cutout. I was replacing my stock Cervelo P2 Selle saddle, which seemed to be as generic as they get.

I honestly have had no problems with any of the saddles, at least compared to the stock Cervelo saddle. They're certainly not a perfect fit for me, but I seriously doubt any saddle would offer that without the required acclimation time.

The only problem I did have was with the knifelike carbon-only saddle which had zero padding - after an hour, I could def feel the ridges on the edges where my butt would be hanging slightly off the edge. But I'd expect that with any similar hard carbon only design.

I was going to drop $$$ on a Adamo to try it out, but just never had the need to since these cheapo saddles work so well. I'm sure they're slightly heavier, though (at least the padded noncarbon ones)
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting: Knock Off Saddles [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also got a 20$ toupee copy of some sort. 120g or so. It was bare carbon, and the 1k cosmetic layer was a bit stretched... so not a looker (i would do ud if i had to do it again).

It was just fine, but stiff as f$&@!

I much prefer my berk lupina for road. Never tried an ebay tri saddle.

I have done well with some 56mm china clinchers (i am light) with my own hubs/spokes. A buddy got a 20$ carbon seat post that broke within 30s of riding.

Cajer wrote:
I have 2x knock off swork toupee (before they padded the shit out of them) that I love. They likely have 20k miles on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting: Knock Off Saddles [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 100% clone of the old S-Works toupe it looks identical. With similar amount of padding and decals. It feels exactly the same as a real one I rode before. I should get another one before they disappear .

It’s literally the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever ridden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm starting to see more and more of these pop up on eBay. The one below appears to be a knockoff Specialized Power. If the rails are steel... hard to see the downside for $20.

I'm not sure where I want this thread to go... we could easily get into an endless debate about the cost of bringing a product to market, the harm knockoffs do to brands, product safety, etc. With that said, saddle prices have really gone crazy lately (or is it just me?) and it would be nice to see some competition to bring them back down to reality.

Knockoff Specialized Power Saddle on eBay

I got that exact saddle off amazon.ca. I had a Power143 on my tri bike and wanted one for my road bike....on my highly underpaid startup income, just trying to spend less on stuff so got that saddle. I few rides in, I really like it...almost better than the real one. I think the shell has a "bit more flex".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
s13tx wrote:

In fairness, I’ve broken the rails of a stock Selle saddle...

SOrry to hear that. Selle saddles are not cheap.
Quote Reply