Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

11 tooth next to 13 tooth issue
Quote | Reply
Frankenstein cassette question here:

On a 10 speed Ultegra, I've taken out the 12 tooth cog to swap in a smaller shift elsewhere in my sweet-spot speed area. So my hope was to have the 11 tooth cog next to the 13 tooth cog. What I've found is that the 11 sinks a little too deep into the channel of the 13, making the space between a little too small.

I can imagine a shim filling that gap so the spacing is correct and would make one, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has found a way past this hurdle.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: 11 tooth next to 13 tooth issue [lazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't recommend taking out the 12 tooth cog at all. I calculated the gear ratios for my bike and the jump from a 53-11 gear ratio to a 53-12 gear ratio is over 10 gear inches which is absolutely massive already, it's most likely the biggest jump in gear ratios in your drive train.
If you need that gap filled, you can buy the individual 12 tooth 10 speed cog. I threw the link down below.

https://www.jensonusa.com/...eYb0PmUaAkXqEALw_wcB
Quote Reply
Re: 11 tooth next to 13 tooth issue [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thinking is that I’m only gonna be using 11 or 12 while headed downhill and they would just be a way to add a little speed to gravity’s work. So the jump wouldn’t be as impactful as it is further back in the cassette (where it would admittedly be a smaller jump).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lazy wrote:
My thinking is that I’m only gonna be using 11 or 12 while headed downhill and they would just be a way to add a little speed to gravity’s work. So the jump wouldn’t be as impactful as it is further back in the cassette (where it would admittedly be a smaller jump).

The two smallest cogs in a Shimano cassette are usually specific to those places, so you can't just swap those out or around. You can probably find an MTB cassette that starts with 11-13 that you can use those cogs from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you pull the 16, 17 or 18 out and use the 11,12 from one cassette on the other?
Quote Reply