Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First sprint triathlon. Any advice? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because he does 3,000m in 1 1/2 to 2 hr workout.
As an experienced swimmer (I assume you are) how far would you expect to swim in 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.

As pool triathlons are often two (or more) swimmers in a lane a bad turn can cost time and a little pain.
Club swimmers can do that fine, but he is not a club swimmer.
And no one ever panics in a race, especially their first.
Quote Reply
Re: First sprint triathlon. Any advice? [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RolandG wrote:
s13tx wrote:
I've done many Sprint Tris in the pool and I wonder how they can manage to have 750m swim in the pool???????
The longest I've seen is 350m. As most of us know, you usually swim zig zag/snake pattern crossing the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueFo1OuXGpc

Buschhütten, last weekend. Won by Jan Frodeno and Laura Philipp. 1000m swim. No snake pattern here in Germany, just up and down the pool, up and down, up and down...

Interesting set up. We have 300-500 people show up for the local Sprint Tris, so that set up won't work.
Funny thing is as people still jumping into the pool one by one and fast guys already finished the race in like 50 min.
Quote Reply
Re: First sprint triathlon. Any advice? [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail wrote:
Aeroman wrote:
Furthermore, I'm doing 2.5-3k swim in each session, including drills.
Sometimes I have a major problem with keeping up the tempo while breathing normally. Even though I breathe properly, at some point I'll get out breathe and I have to stop for moment. I'm afraid that when I swim, my legs (I don't kick a lot) will gradually sink which will decrease my speed and I will have to kick hard in order to get my body in a flat horizontal position, which will waste my oxygen.
I have a zero experience with triathlon and I don't know what will happen in the pool, since there will be a lot of people swimming in the same lane.

Ah ok that clarifies things a lot for me - thanks for the response. What type of drills are you doing? Re: breathing, I noticed you mentioned breathing on one side in your old posts... do you still do this? When do you breathe (every 2, 4, 6 stroke? Or odd numbers if you breathe bilateral?) Do you hold your breath when you're swimming?

Some people can swim very well with minimal kick but I know that I need to kick to actually propel myself... I'm not a coach by any means but perhaps try a handful of sessions where you're kicking a bit more and see if you still have the sinking leg issue? Also, I have found for myself that if I lift my head up instead of to the side when I'm breathing - my lower body sinks. So when I tilt my head to breathe, I always make sure that my other ear is submerged (a tip I got from a swim coach) and not out of the water.

I've never done a pool tri before so unfort I can't give much advice re: the environment in the pool - but I'm sure others would be more than happy to give you some pointers.

The swim, for many triathletes, is the most intimidating part of the race - so I can only suggest to take it easy when you start and to remember that you've done the training so you can certainly complete the distance. The swim can be more psychological than physical for some people and the most important thing I reckon, aside from doing the proper training which seems like you've done - is to feel confident in your abilities.

I usually breathe on every second stroke. I do a variety of drills, but mainly they are focuses on the uppper body, which I don't really know whether its a good thing or not. I do catch&pull drills with snorkel, catch up freestyle, rotator kick, single arm drill for balance and control etc.
I think you're absolutely right. The swimming part is mostly psychological thing. Once you clear up your thoughts, you can focus on the goal, by eliminating your fears with your strenght and hard will.

Thanks a lot for your input and for taking the time to respond. I 'll let you know of the outcome!
Quote Reply
Re: First sprint triathlon. Any advice? [Aeroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it’s really tempting, and you will think you need to, but trust me...you don’t need to take any gels or GUs during the race. Maybe pop one 20min before the swim start if you want, but don’t waste time (or GU) taking one during the race. Just go.
Quote Reply
Re: First sprint triathlon. Any advice? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear fellow triathletes,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I now have a collection of pretty good answers from people who've already passed their first sprint triathlon, which gave me a positive boost, seriously!

I'm so excited and can't wait for the actual race day (June 9, 2019). Since its my first triathlon, my goal will be, as many of you said, just to have fun and finish the race, and not to get drown in the pool (lol). Just kidding. I will post an update when my race is done, just to share my experience.

I have also signed up for two additional sprint triathlons for this summer (July 7th and July 29th, 2019). However, these two will be open water (lake) which I assume will be completely different from the pool. Anyhow, I do not want to bother you guys with that issue right now.

Again, thanks a lot for your precious time!

#swimbikerun
🏊‍♂️🚴‍♂️🏃‍♂️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 1,000 yard pool swims in 25 yard pools in sprint tris. You just start in series, based on predicted times, with up to 4 in a lane. And you hope that the counters keep count (at least I do, because I can never count to 40).
Quote Reply
Re: First sprint triathlon. Any advice? [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:

buwahahahaha

most triathletes are hydrophobic twits that only train in the pool enough to not drown while obsessing over the aerodynamic benefits of a 3 degree movement in their pinky finger position on the bike. (there are of course , lots of exceptions to this statement, it mainly refers to most of the triathletes I know personally)

anyway, looks like you're getting some good advice from others, that line just made me laugh this morning. Thanks.

Yep! Great post :-)

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have fun.

Seriously, that's all the advice I would give. It's your first, you have done the training, you'll have some awkward moments, you'll feel like the slowest person in transition, and it doesn't matter. Just remember, this is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun, and no one there is going to the Olympics. Relax, enjoy the atmosphere, and view the race as the reward for all the training you've done.

I envy the feelings you're going to experience. Nothing like your first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have friends or a club of people who are experienced, have like 5 of them jump in a lane with you and swim in a snake line with people slowing down and passing all over. I did my first pool sprint tri in 2017, after 3 years of doing open water tris and even though I seeded myself correctly, it was still more chaos in the pool than I experienced in most tris because you are limited to a snake line.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next