Prev Next
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Why are the pad cushions not longer?
Advantages:
-you would not see the ugly holes.
-your arm is even better supported
-the slit between the extensions and the arms would be filled which is aerodynamically favourable.

I think when I would have the cockpit that I would add some more padding in front of the existing pad cushions.

The "ugly" holes are here for a reason... the extension can slide in/out of the elbow cups part in order to adjust elbow to hand distance. We don't know what the final distance the end user will have so we can't make the pads longer. But I agree it can be done and could be a nice addition. Would you see something like delivering velcro + pads for the user to cut to his/her lenght ?

I must precise that the pictures show extensions quite "out" but if I show you my setup for example I only have 1 hole showing outside and would have only 28mm available to add some padded area, not a huge difference compare to how I'm riding now...
Last edited by: pyf: May 13, 19 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Advantages:
-the slit between the extensions and the arms would be filled which is aerodynamically favourable.

I think when I would have the cockpit that I would add some more padding in front of the existing pad cushions.

The "ugly" holes are here for a reason... the extension can slide in/out of the elbow cups part in order to adjust elbow to hand distance. We don't know what the final distance the end user will have so we can't make the pads longer. But I agree it can be done and could be a nice addition. Would you see something like delivering velcro + pads for the user to cut to his/her lenght ?

I must precise that the pictures show extensions quite "out" but if I show you my setup for example I only have 1 hole showing outside and would have only 28mm available to add some padded area, not a huge difference compare to how I'm riding now...

It is not a big deal, but Look could have made the pads as long as possible, such that you cut them to length when you decrease the length of the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Advantages:

Hi PYF, i just ordered the bar from our distributor. I think you made a very cool product. What you mentioned on getting some extra velcro and padding to cover the ‘rest’ of the extension to cover it when the right length is actually what i thought when i saw the pic of the bar for the first time. Can’t wait to set it up on my bike and write a review for tripro.nl.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for giving it a go.

To give you an idea of how much pad is missing for a 1m70 rider with arms of "standard" lenghts (nothing monkey long or nothing super short), here is my setup, not in full race mode of course... but this is how I'm training these days.

I sometimes rides with BTA exiting front to rear and shorten the computer mount (one arm is removed on the pictures below), other times I use the computer mount full lenght with bottle cage in the other direction attached to the rear of the triathlon bridge and bottle exiting in the rear to front direction.

As shown here, tilt is 13° out of the 0-20° range, so I can try higher hands position by just un-attaching the pad and underneath untighten the front bolt and tighten the rear bolt, works just like any two bolts seatpost (like Thomson Elite, Syntace P6, etc.).

Looking forward to hearing your feedback !

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks very nice indeed. I really look forward to all the adjustability but specially the more surface area under the arms.
But I just the product manager from our distributor here to say the bars are a bit delayed so I'll have to wait for a little longer :-(

I will show some pics when it is done.

thanks,

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the bolt spacing on the cradle/extensions? And will they be available for purchase separately? If so, I could see some people building some frankensteins with them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
Nice product... Are you an offering some kind of stem that integrates with the bar so you can run all cables into and out the back of the stem or is that only available on look specific bikes with the appropriate stem?

Not our own.

The 31.8 Road/TT base bar has cable exit on top/bottom (since the bar is reversible) back part of the bar, close to the stem, so it should be possible to get into an Aeria Ultimate Stem side hole with very little cable housing showing. Same with a Culprit stem which seems to have a slot on the back of the 31.8mm diameter to let the housings in.

Just took a picture of the 31.8 Road/TT base bar so you can see clearly how the cables exit :

And of course like you say on Look 796 there is no cable showing at all since there is a specific stem for that bike.
I have been doing some research and if you can feed back to look if they can produce a stem compatible with a standard fork but the 796 bar with cable routing I would by the setup tomorrow. Also as the last poster questioned will the extensions just be available? I understand Look is a major brand and sells specific items and bikes but I would be likely to stick with my current setup unless I could get either of me requests. Seems time trial bars are going through a great development period so it won't be long until a company ticks all my boxes. Bring out the 796 generic stem and it could be you ;)

https://www.caratrade.com/.../WHITE_PAPER_796.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The day the thread went up I Pm'd pyf about the possibility of getting the extensions/cups stand alone and was told most likely not. One point being their extension/cups are torque spec'd to 8nm which is much higher than the 3-5nm standard.

With a proprietary cockpit on my bike, it seems that means it'd be impossible to equip these on my bike, at least currently.

But maybe with enough demand look will offer. Cross fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [LOOK USA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOOK USA wrote:
Thanks for you interest in the new bars. To chime in from LOOK USA, you can order these from any LOOK dealer: pedal, bike or dealers who carry both. As PYF noted, the dealer locator on our site is going to be your best resource for tracking a local retailer, there is a direct link below. If you're looking for online options, we recommend checking out Glory Cycles, Competitive Cyclist, R&A or Planet Bike.

https://www.lookcycle.com/en/retailer-locator/

Thanks,
LOOK USA

Just so you know, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve tried all of my local Look dealers in the Detroit metro area (all pedal only), and they all say they can’t order them. Additionally I contacted Competitive Cyclist and they can’t order them either.

Any idea where US buyers can get their hands on these bars? Any idea when they’ll be available?

Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, despite loving the R/L96 bikes... this is why I don't own one. If there's trouble finding out how to order the entire bar from a dealer (either brick&mortar or online) then how's it going to work in a year or two when you need part 10a replaced? Or want to buy the triathlon bridge?

I love all the LOOK products I own, they make great stuff... but in general I've always went into it thinking I was on my own. (at least in my part of the USA)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
LOOK USA wrote:
Thanks for you interest in the new bars. To chime in from LOOK USA, you can order these from any LOOK dealer: pedal, bike or dealers who carry both. As PYF noted, the dealer locator on our site is going to be your best resource for tracking a local retailer, there is a direct link below. If you're looking for online options, we recommend checking out Glory Cycles, Competitive Cyclist, R&A or Planet Bike.

https://www.lookcycle.com/en/retailer-locator/

Thanks,
LOOK USA

Just so you know, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve tried all of my local Look dealers in the Detroit metro area (all pedal only), and they all say they can’t order them. Additionally I contacted Competitive Cyclist and they can’t order them either.

Any idea where US buyers can get their hands on these bars? Any idea when they’ll be available?

Over here in the EU also a problem with the delivery. Just heard there is no date set when they actually can deliver te bar. Seems to be a bit over enthousiastic release......

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Another good one...

The minimum stack for each base bar are in my first message in this thread.
I understand what you are asking and you do understand you would loose tilt adjustment that are designed in the parts "9". But it's not just that, you would also loose the threads (thus you would need to use some nuts somewhere...) and you would loose the conical shapes that keep everything centered and stiff (of course matters less with no spacers at all... but still...).
As a consequence it's one of this thing I must say : it's not possible. Of course if you try you may succeed in a more or less safe way but it's not something we have tested, it's not designed to be used in this way so I definitely won't tell you to do it. At this point we don't do a super super low stack configuration as the trend is more toward higher positions with narrower elbow positions and more tilt so it is the design direction we took when defining all the possible positions for AERGO.

Hope it makes sense.

My current aerobars have threads on the bottom that the extensions could bolt into and the mount surface is flat, so the extensions could bolt directly on and stay at 0 tilt. What is the bolt spacing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response on the bar availability in market. If you have a shop that is carrying LOOK product they can contact us directly to order the bars sales.usa@lookcycle.com. It is likely a case that they are ordering through a parts distributor and that distributor doesn't have them available, but they can certainly order them from us. At this time we've sold through our first order and should have open stock later this month.

Thanks for your patience and reaching out.

LOOK USA
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock -

Thank you for the note. We're aware that our aftersale service hasn't been up to par with our competitors in the past, but are making an effort to change that. The biggest change occurred a little over a year ago when LOOK opened a dedicated US office, with US based staff. We now manage all customer service, sales and warehousing/shipping from a US based office for US riders. If you have ever have an issue, tech question or need a small part, please reach out to us directly, or have your shop reach out to us, we love to hear from riders: tech.usa@lookcycle.com

Thanks,
LOOK USA
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [LOOK USA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Placed my order over a month ago - just got an update on my order. Apparently Look shipped over ONE pair to the USA, and that went to another retailer - so now it’s at least the end of August.

Get your crap together, Look.

Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got my Aergo bars. They arrived Monday. Ordered from Wrench Science back in early June.

Looking to start installing and messing with position this week. The build quality looks pretty decent and the adjustability is solid. There are a lot of small parts to assemble but given the adjustability they offer, it makes sense.

Packaging/etc is complete junk. Everything is pretty much just thrown in a non-descript white Look box with no padding on the bars and the hardware in plastic bags. There was a small defect in the clear coat on my bars, likely due to stuff rolling around in the box in its transit to me.

Of note, it appears the extension mount bolt spacing is 20mm, which looks to exactly match my current Tririg Alpha X bars.

Will post pictures and report back once I get a chance to get things fully assembled.

Quote | Reply
Any chance you could send me in the direction of how to get the aero extension for my garmin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyf,

Question on the triathlon bridge and how it fits on the 31.8mm basebar. How much stack does it add?

I am very interested in the look bar for the remarkable minimum stack (40mm). Based on the diagrams. it will go under the tilt kit, but might run afoul a standard stem? Which means spacers will need to be added to provide clearance?
Quote Reply

Prev Next