Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 weeks to Sub 10....the sequel, 9 years later....
Quote | Reply
9 years ago I wrote a piece outlining a challenge to break 10 hrs in an IM with 10 weeks training - basically a roadie who had neglected his running and swimming.
Almost a decade on it seems I have not yet learnt my lesson !
I did IM Vichy 2 years ago and since then have not swam or ran - instead focused heavily on cycling; road races, fondos, gravel and MTB
Last week I woke up and decided I wanted to do an IM again - no idea why...I think I like the challenge of setting myself a task and find 4-6 months too far out
So I am doing Hamburg, which is 12 weeks away
Cycling is good and would hope to be a decent bit under 5hrs on that course. Swimming needs to start soon; am historically a 60-70 min IM swimmer. The run is the thing that will make or break this.
I started running last week and did 5 mins around the blocks; literally 5 minutes and had the biggest DOMS in years. Genuinely astonishes me how sore running can be versus a 5hr ride !
A week later and I am up to 30 mins; but its all slow stuff - there is no aim to the workout except try and do 30 mins without stopping.
It’s very humbling - on a bike I feel strong, on a run anything but....

I know (from experience) it gets better the more you do - but have to admit its more than a bit depressing at this stage. So advice and tales of encouragement are strongly welcomed in how to best structure my next 12 weeks from a slow shuffle to a reasonable run.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks to Sub 10....the sequel, 9 years later.... [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can be out running at 6 hours, assuming you can actually run decently in shape, 12 weeks should be plenty to get under a 4 hour marathon and 10 hours...especially if you get to that point and know 4 hours is all it will take and plan accordingly.

I agree with everyone that tells me that they just started running and hate it. Doing anything out of shape is horrible. It won’t take long. 6 weeks of gradual build up and the start adding some faster stuff in for 6 weeks while still building up to a 2-2.5 hr run.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks to Sub 10....the sequel, 9 years later.... [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is interesting, but I'd rather see a 9 weeks to sub 9 IMO... more drama.

bespoke wrote:
9 years ago I wrote a piece outlining a challenge to break 10 hrs in an IM with 10 weeks training - basically a roadie who had neglected his running and swimming.
Almost a decade on it seems I have not yet learnt my lesson !
I did IM Vichy 2 years ago and since then have not swam or ran - instead focused heavily on cycling; road races, fondos, gravel and MTB
Last week I woke up and decided I wanted to do an IM again - no idea why...I think I like the challenge of setting myself a task and find 4-6 months too far out
So I am doing Hamburg, which is 12 weeks away
Cycling is good and would hope to be a decent bit under 5hrs on that course. Swimming needs to start soon; am historically a 60-70 min IM swimmer. The run is the thing that will make or break this.
I started running last week and did 5 mins around the blocks; literally 5 minutes and had the biggest DOMS in years. Genuinely astonishes me how sore running can be versus a 5hr ride !
A week later and I am up to 30 mins; but its all slow stuff - there is no aim to the workout except try and do 30 mins without stopping.
It’s very humbling - on a bike I feel strong, on a run anything but....

I know (from experience) it gets better the more you do - but have to admit its more than a bit depressing at this stage. So advice and tales of encouragement are strongly welcomed in how to best structure my next 12 weeks from a slow shuffle to a reasonable run.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks to Sub 10....the sequel, 9 years later.... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alas 12 weeks to sub12 is more realistic given current form !
Quote Reply