Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Overrated Products [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
I baffled the lifeguard at the pool the other morning at 5:45 when i walked into the office, picked up the scissors and walked out with a completed set of goggles in 60 seconds (I'm a snipped-off piece of the headband for a nose piece person).

I used to do it that way, but I found that they wouldn't stay adjusted as the latex strap degrades over time. I'd have to tweak them at least once a week. The string just stays...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Anything made by SRAM/Zipp/Rockshox.
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll pry 175s off my road bikes after I'm dead.

But for triathlon and TT positioning? Yup. Every. Single. Time.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as an aside (I'll stop talking about swedes after this post, I promise), the mens 400 free from Athens '04 popped up in my youtube feed. Every single guy in the final was wearing swedes. They're not as popular as they once were, partially due to Speedo and Arena "encouraging" their sponsored athletes to wear their goggles. even so, lots of elites are still wearing them, particularly on the women's side (Hosszu, Sjostrom, Lily King come immediately to mind).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 7, 19 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
gplama wrote:
A few feature/firmware updates to the ROAM (there's a lot to list, so I won't) and maybe a $50 price drop would turn it all around. There's a chance it'll claw itself back.

help educate me on this. you must've really disliked the ELEMNT as a GPS head unit at $329. because, it only dropped to $299, it seems to me, to clear out inventory in advance of the ROAM taking it over. so...

the pretty aggressive changes to the screen don't add a penny to the value? and the upcoming firmware updates - if they deliver what they're promising to deliver in fairly short order - don't add a penny to the value?

I have a BOLT that I bought for a few weeks before the Edge 530 was announced. Frankly the Edge 530 wipes the floor of the BOLT and the ROAM. I don't care about the supposed "Upgrades" Wahoo did to the ROAM, that's called keeping with the times-- the fact is that it doesn't offer much of anything over the competition that is $80 cheaper.

My biggest issue with the Wahoo is the fact that they've farmed out all of their features to 3rd parties. Want to do custom workouts? Need to either create the workout the day of or pony up for a Training Peaks subscription. Want GPS mapping? Need to create a route on Ride With GPS first. Want to set up segment based goals? Need to subscribe to Strava Premium. Meanwhile Garmin has all of this housed within Garmin Connect. I didn't realize these limitations when I bought my BOLT -- and frankly, I'm just waiting for the 530 to come back in stock to replace my BOLT.

IMHO, Wahoo is in a bit of a pickle here. Their highly successful BOLT is 2 years old. The ROAM is a flop due to the technology, price, and (in my opinion) the larger size of the unit.

I remember reading your posts a few months back leading up to the ROAM's launch. I was curious and wondering if I should have waited around. But the ROAM's launch is underwhelming at best, poor at worst. It's a 2018 product that was launched mid way through 2019.
Last edited by: caverunner17: Jun 22, 19 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
Normatec boots.

It is a great product but like everything on this, many other products get to 95-99% of the way there. You could make an argument that many substitutes get you 100% of the way just don't have the same cache. But yes, I tend to agree in general. Products like Speed Hound and Air Relax are crazy good for the price.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great list....(but I still want a running power meter because I am a gadget freak).....at least I bought my Roka stuff on end of season sales!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
- Short cranks
- Any "recovery" product

Short cranks are great if you have short legs. I have a 165mm 105 compact crankset that was like $100. I can actually spin on my tri bike in aero position.

I have a [foam] rumble roller. On a day that my muscles are tight it works wonders and it really didn't cost that much. Now there are knockoffs which probably accomplish the same thing.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Any running shoe over $100.

Agree with you. Maybe include bikes over what? $5000 Swimsuit or swim anything over what? $20 Wetsuit over what? $500

One problem is that most reviews, in depth reviews, are done on the more expensive shoes, bikes, etc. Whereas, for much less money, you can probably find a substitute that is 80-95% there in terms of function and quality. Yes the high end is sexy. Yet the products that are close to the best and well priced is what I'm interested in knowing about.

And given all the problems that come with the end user (me), I'm not really going to be able to leverage the benefit of that last 5-20% of performance that the high end products offer.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Super-light carbon water bottle cages.. seriously? Do I want to spend $160 or $40 on 2 bottle cages?

Road ID. I'll show myself out.

For me one of the most important functions of a bottle cage is not to lose the bottle. So easy in, out and secure bottle are more important than the little bit of weight.

Road ID. I'd rather they not know who I am and come to the wrong conclusion (by looking at my bike) that I have a lot of money. Maybe the county will end up burying me at no charge lol

Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
Base salt
Ironman brand events (in agreement with guys above me that said the same thing)
Recovery boots
The handheld powertool massage thing
Most tri kits, but especially the "punk rock" ones
Most race wheels
Most bikes
Most shoes
Most wetsuits that aren't 60% off for that "hot sale" that happens every single week
Power meters
Dura Ace/SRAM Red level stuff. All Campagnolo stuff
Latex tubes
Bike fits
Travel to races
Bike transport
IM swag
The divorce you get from focusing too much on triathlon
PED's

Only partially disagree on two.

Some people can't get to the fit on their own and need pro bike fit.

Some times the problem is with them and not with what you are doing. If people can stay married to car enthusiasts, golfers, drunks, smokers, snorers, shopaholics and unfaithful spouses that they love, then being married to a healthy triathlete is maybe not a huge burden in life (just a straw man).

Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Can we include fancy boutique energy drinks in this category?

Yes. Tap water for Jason.

Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
altissimotri wrote:
The divorce you get from focusing too much on triathlon

You know why divorces cost so much? Because they are worth it.

You know longer have to live with someone who doesn't want you around. During the divorce you will find out how much they really didn't like you, while you were in denial about it. Then after some perspective, you'll be glad that you're no longer sleeping in the same house with the person who disliked you so much.

There are many "prodigal husbands" where wives just couldn't wait for husbands to die to get the money and leave. Usually it happens at your peak earning years so they can continue to live in the style that they've grown accustom with a court order.

Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Any running shoe over $100.

Only because you can get $150 retail shoes for under $100. Getting real running shoes is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Overrated Products [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried them out too. Comfortable and they don't leak.

But as soon as I get under water I have double vision and can't even tell where the wall is

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply

Prev Next