Quote | Reply
Perfect nickname for a discussion like this one :) lol
Quote Reply
Re: Workout after Eating: How Long to Wait??? [macwhinb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
macwhinb wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Personally my schedule is driven by the household.
During the week:
AM workout fasted then eat breakfast.
Lunch workouts after light 10am snack then eat lunch.

This is pretty close to my schedule. 4am workout, light snack at 7am. Breakfast at 9am. Workout again at noon. Eat lunch after, about 1pm.

When it comes to actually participating in Endurance events, I am a weirdo who only eats solid foods. I eat bars, sandwiches and fig newtons on the bike. In the runs, I eat zone bars, cookies, pretzels and anything else solid.

I'm trying to switch to solid foods for my nutrition as by the time I get to the run I have no desire to take in any more gels/Gatorade. What kind of bars and sandwiches do you eat on the bike? How/where do you store the solid nutrition over the course of an iron distance race?

I'm another who often opts for solid foods in long races. Especially savoury foods to complement all the sweet stuff supplied at aid stations and all the sports drink, coke, etc.

Last Sunday's IM cycle was fueled by potatoes. Pan-fired in olive oil with oregano and garlic, add a little salt. Just put them in a couple of zip-lock bags and leave them with the bike on race morning. Slip them into the tri-top pocket in T1. Easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Workout after Eating: How Long to Wait??? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletes eat while working out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
During the week:

This is pretty close to my schedule. 4am workout, light snack at 7am. Breakfast at 9am. Workout again at noon. Eat lunch after, about 1pm.

When it comes to actually participating in Endurance events, I am a weirdo who only eats solid foods. I eat bars, sandwiches and fig newtons on the bike. In the runs, I eat zone bars, cookies, pretzels and anything else solid.

Why participate and not race? Solid food probably adds 10% + time to your total finish
Quote Reply
Re: Workout after Eating: How Long to Wait??? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
During the week:

Why participate and not race? Solid food probably adds 10% + time to your total finish

I disagree. Solid foods have not slowed me down.

I test strategies all the time. I did 3 half marathons close to each other all fasted from 12-16 hours. My pace was right at my typical race pace of 7:17/minutes per mile. I then ran three more half marathons while eating Zone Bars during the run, because I like to eat. My time for those three races were a couple seconds faster per mile. Regardless, I felt a lot better mentally, eating. And recovery wise, I was recovered right after the races where I ate, and recovered a day or more after the fasted races.

Ive only done one full IM, but ate like I had a buffet on the bike and run. It was like heaven working out and eating. Finished sub-12 hours. Not great by any ST standards, but as my 1st attempt I was super happy.
Last edited by: Spartan420: May 8, 19 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
During the week:

I disagree. Solid foods have not slowed me down.

I test strategies all the time. I did 3 half marathons close to each other all fasted from 12-16 hours. My pace was right at my typical race pace of 7:17/minutes per mile. I then ran three more half marathons while eating Zone Bars during the run, because I like to eat. My time for those three races were a couple seconds faster per mile. Regardless, I felt a lot better mentally, eating. And recovery wise, I was recovered right after the races where I ate, and recovered a day or more after the fasted races.

Ive only done one full IM, but ate like I had a buffet on the bike and run. It was like heaven working out and eating. Finished sub-12 hours. Not great by any ST standards, but as my 1st attempt I was super happy.

Maybe your fitness improved, but sabotaged your races by eating solids. Most runners dont eat go fasted into a half either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Solid food probably adds 10% + time to your total finish

Where did you pull that stat from? Care to supply a reference?
Quote Reply
Re: Workout after Eating: How Long to Wait??? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Made it up based on looking at peoples finish times and what they ate in race pictures. Imagine eluiid kipchoge eating pork ribs while trying to break 2. Do we really need a study on this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
satanellus wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Made it up based on looking at peoples finish times and what they ate in race pictures. Imagine eluiid kipchoge eating pork ribs while trying to break 2. Do we really need a study on this?

Can't get much more scientific than that. :-/

You really don't think there's a difference in intensity between running at 4:40/mile and cycling at 20 miles/hr then comparatively waddling through a marathon?

Pity Scott, Allen, et al cost themselves 10% or more.
Quote Reply
Re: Workout after Eating: How Long to Wait??? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I frequently run on a belly full of too many tacos....I consider it mental toughness training
Quote Reply
Re: Workout after Eating: How Long to Wait??? [macwhinb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
macwhinb wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
During the week:

I'm trying to switch to solid foods for my nutrition as by the time I get to the run I have no desire to take in any more gels/Gatorade. What kind of bars and sandwiches do you eat on the bike? How/where do you store the solid nutrition over the course of an iron distance race?

I just leave my food with my bike on race morning and slip it into my tri top pocket in T1. I've never bother with special needs bags on the bike and the food is with me when I need it.

I've used a variety of different fueling options in IM and way too many to count in longer tris, ultras and ocean swimming.

When I started racing IM, the aid stations even supplied jam (jelly sandwiches), though I prefer something savoury. Favourites have included cheddar cheese, basil & hummus (plenty of hommos keeps it moist and it slides down easily), Vegemite (hey, it's a national delicacy) and the stinkiest gorganzola I can find.

Needless to say, I have a fairly robust stomach when it comes to taking on nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I read all these articles that say dont workout till 3 hours after eating a big meal. But, Im a weirdo who feels most excited and ready to hit a bike workout or run after eating a big meal. 3 hours later and I am tired.

Do you really have to wait to eat? I just ate a big meal and Im full of energy, watching the clock waiting until 3 hours is up so I can workout.

Experiment and find out what you can tolerate. For me, running is worse than biking after a meal. For swimming, if I am hungry- a banana and a handful of peanuts or a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter is enough to get me through a swim workout. Then I eat after. I can eat before riding. Friends make fun of me on long rides as I eat combos and beef jerky or anything else for that matter at gas station pit stops if I’m hungry. Others I know can’t stomach that type of food. Running is a different story. I would rather run on an empty stomach and if anything have something easily digestible like a banana or a muffin. Then, just hit a gel on the run if I feel like I need some calories. Then eat after.

Last week while on vacation at lunch... I had a burger and fries and decided to run an hour later. I was fine.

I think everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I read all these articles that say dont workout till 3 hours after eating a big meal. But, Im a weirdo who feels most excited and ready to hit a bike workout or run after eating a big meal. 3 hours later and I am tired.

Do you really have to wait to eat? I just ate a big meal and Im full of energy, watching the clock waiting until 3 hours is up so I can workout.

I always like to have SOMETHING in my stomach pretty much immediately before. I hate stomach pangs during exercise. That's counterbalanced occasionally in the pool, probably due to body position where I get some indigestion. I keep Tums in the bag for that reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply

Prev Next