Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [Barberdolan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody has any further quick tips they might suggest for improving my position here. Have my first Oly race next week and just trying to get the road bike dialed in best as possible. It’s not exactly a long distance race so and although my position still kind of sucks here, it should suffice for 40km. I have pushed the saddle fully forward and flipped the stem. Thanks for all the help so far with this. My position has come a long way since the first post where my bars were on completely backwards haha.
Cheers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good for what you have to work with from where you started.
Comfort it probably the next order of business.
Ride it outdoors and see if anything starts giving you issues.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Looks pretty good for what you have to work with from where you started.
Comfort it probably the next order of business.
Ride it outdoors and see if anything starts giving you issues.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Have done a few 40km efforts at race pace (mostly in the aero position) and haven’t felt any major discomfort. I can tell it’s clearly not as comfortable as a TT bike would be but as you said..for what I have to work with it ain’t bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah much better, but ignoring the arms you're still basically in a road bike position, ie quite upright. (you'll be a little quicker than a road bike due to the narrower frontal area, and it will be more comfortable, but still far from optimised)

Your elbows are still a fair way back; you can push out the extensions a lot more. I'd aim for getting your elbow pads centred over the handlebar, ie move the extensions about 2-3 inches further forwards (and the elbow pads a little further forwards - maybe mount them just in front of the handlebar clamp)

Then, if there's any way to bring the front end down further, do it. Can those aero bars be under-mounted? If not, find a steep stem like the one on my bike (picture on previous page, it's 110mm x 35°). An adjustable angle stem would also help dial it in quickly, most bike shops have these on the rack.

Oh, and the next step is to upload a video per the specs in the sticky thread.
Last edited by: MattyK: Jun 5, 19 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Yeah much better, but ignoring the arms you're still basically in a road bike position, ie quite upright. (you'll be a little quicker than a road bike due to the narrower frontal area, and it will be more comfortable, but still far from optimised)

Your elbows are still a fair way back; you can push out the extensions a lot more. I'd aim for getting your elbow pads centred over the handlebar, ie move the extensions about 2-3 inches further forwards (and the elbow pads a little further forwards - maybe mount them just in front of the handlebar clamp)

Then, if there's any way to bring the front end down further, do it. Can those aero bars be under-mounted? If not, find a steep stem like the one on my bike (picture on previous page, it's 110mm x 35°). An adjustable angle stem would also help dial it in quickly, most bike shops have these on the rack.

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately the front is as low as it can go but I will look in to one of those adjustable angle stems, and get those elbows more forward in the position you described.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barberdolan wrote:
Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately the front is as low as it can go but I will look in to one of those adjustable angle stems, and get those elbows more forward in the position you described.
OK: it's a little tricky to assess because of the camera angle - but don't go much further forward if you aren't also dropping the front end with a new stem (which would move your shoulders forward as a result)

As I edited above, a video of your fit will help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry this really isn’t a very good video and my girlfriend flipped the phone side ways half way through but maybe it will be a little more helpful than the pics I have posted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better than nothing but yeah, could be clearer. (camera on a stand, at about saddle height, perpendicular to the bike, and far enough back to see you all in profile mode)

Saddle height seems quite low (your knees don't open up much at the bottom of the stroke), but you also toe dip a lot. With the ISM, set the height about an inch or two from the nose (i.e. where you sit on it) not in line with the seatpost. That will help flatten you out a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Better than nothing but yeah, could be clearer. (camera on a stand, at about saddle height, perpendicular to the bike, and far enough back to see you all in profile mode)

Saddle height seems quite low (your knees don't open up much at the bottom of the stroke), but you also toe dip a lot. With the ISM, set the height about an inch or two from the nose (i.e. where you sit on it) not in line with the seatpost. That will help flatten you out a bit.

Thanks, yeah looking at it now the saddle does feel low (and yeah way too much toe dipping there). I just recently changed out my old saddle for that ISM one. When you say it should be an inch or two from the nose...are you referring to how far forward it is placed? Sorry just a little confused by what you mean here. Thanks again for all suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barberdolan wrote:
When you say it should be an inch or two from the nose...are you referring to how far forward it is placed? Sorry just a little confused by what you mean here.
I meant when using a tape measure to check saddle height (taken between top of saddle and the axis of the bottom bracket), measure to where you sit on it.

For a typical road saddle this would be at about the middle of the saddle, which is roughly straight up the line of the seat tube/post.
For an ISM it's closer to the nose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh I see, thank you for that, makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help you with your fitting because I don't even have any idea how good is mine. I just train and pay when something is wrong haha.

But I can tell you something: that bike is fast! I did my first IM (and two 70.3) on that same bike and similar low profile wheels (top 10% in bike splits). If you train any position, things will go smoothly. No position is going to make you faster or more comfortable if you don't try it again and again. Since then I've bought a brand-new Canyon Speedmax with deep-section wheels and of course times have improved but not that much (I usually do hilly courses though)

It's not the bike that makes the rider, it's the rider that makes the rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:
I can't help you with your fitting because I don't even have any idea how good is mine. I just train and pay when something is wrong haha.

But I can tell you something: that bike is fast! I did my first IM (and two 70.3) on that same bike and similar low profile wheels (top 10% in bike splits). If you train any position, things will go smoothly. No position is going to make you faster or more comfortable if you don't try it again and again. Since then I've bought a brand-new Canyon Speedmax with deep-section wheels and of course times have improved but not that much (I usually do hilly courses though)

It's not the bike that makes the rider, it's the rider that makes the rider.

Thanks, yeah the TCR is a fast bike and love riding it. Will be fun to try for a triathlon regardless of how aero I can get my position.
Nice call on the Canyon speedmax, if I get super in to Triathlon in the future that is actually the bike I would love to buy at some point. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there, great advice guys. I have a related question. My attached set up was used for British CTT time trials. I’ve looked at British Triathlon rules but am unsure of the precise rule on bar angle. Most tri set ups that I have seen have high arms. My extensions are flat and parallel according to my spirit level. I haven’t yet done a tri and am just trying to understand if they’d be legal?

Thanks

Cyclist, Doting Dad and Triathlete
Last edited by: mgalex: Jun 7, 19 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the image BTW

Cyclist, Doting Dad and Triathlete
Quote Reply

Prev Next