Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
flyinryan wrote:
Adoption maybe? What's that run, like 30K?

More. Depending on process and location.

I'm excluding children on general principles and technical legal grounds of you paid the adoption service.
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
After all the exclusions (including bikes, for BLeP's sake), it would have to be either our new fridge or some recent jewelry for the Mrs. Engagement ring wouldn't even crack the top 10 (maaaybe if you account for 25+ years of inflation, but possibly not even then) since we got married young & poor.

You make it sound like it is more than three things.
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I bought a mattress for about $4K.

My wife hates it, but we are pot committed at this point.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Most mattresses have a return period
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Try putting a foam mattress topper on top. It might salvage it for her.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
chriskal wrote:
flyinryan wrote:
Adoption maybe? What's that run, like 30K?

More. Depending on process and location.

I'm excluding children on general principles and technical legal grounds of you paid the adoption service.

That’s a good call. Categorizing children as property probably isn’t wise. I was just answering the poster’s question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt its a couple of years.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
RockyMtnChic wrote:
SkipG wrote:
bought a 30" refrigerator and 30" freezer for our kitchen. Didn't know those things could cost that much.

We are doing the same! My parents had similar ones in the house I grew up in, and with a family of 6, I know we’re going to need the big fridge and freezer as they grow up.
the extra space is nice. It is pretty ridiculous how much they want for the built in units. Got a little discount (not really) for buying the whole Thermador appliance package two 30” units, 30” double ovens, microwave, 36”range dishwasher and hood insert. We decided that the kitchen should be done right the first time when we built our house.

I wish we could afford Thermador or Wolf or something! We’re going cheap now and maybe some day will be able to afford the more expensive stuff.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Rolex Milgaus

For the moments you walk into a magnetic field and need to read your watch. Lol

Just teasing. Nice Rolex.

I have really tried to like Rolex and Omega, but I keep finding watches of other brands I like just as much. It seems like more status symbol to me than personal preference and I just can’t bring myself to buy one to be part of mainstream. Thousands of watch companies out there.
Just got back from Turks and Caicos this weekend and a guy who we were talking to had a gold Rolex Submariner. I’m not a gold watch lover, to each his own. As I was talking to him about it- the bartender said- let me see your watches. I took off of Longines Hydroconquest USA and the bartender said he liked mine better. The Rolex owner was not amused. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
After all the exclusions (including bikes, for BLeP's sake), it would have to be either our new fridge or some recent jewelry for the Mrs. Engagement ring wouldn't even crack the top 10 (maaaybe if you account for 25+ years of inflation, but possibly not even then) since we got married young & poor.

You make it sound like it is more than three things.

Perhaps only 3 item headings, but I own more than one of each...

Property (2 homes)
Cars (4)
Boats (2)

...and if we add bikes to appease BLeP, I've easily got at least 3 or 4 that are worth more than our new fridge or wife's jewelry, so excluding all those things means my 'official' answer is really only about the 12th-most expensive thing I/we own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought hard about this one. Lots of purchases in the $1000-$2000 mark, but I think the most expensive that was not a car, house, or engagement ring...

Bedroom set
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit I forgot about furniture. $3k for our sectional couch. Worth it. It's huge and I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
Rolex Milgaus

I have really tried to like Rolex and Omega, but I keep finding watches of other brands I like just as much. It seems like more status symbol to me than personal preference and I just can’t bring myself to buy one to be part of mainstream. Thousands of watch companies out there.
Just got back from Turks and Caicos this weekend and a guy who we were talking to had a gold Rolex Submariner. I’m not a gold watch lover, to each his own. As I was talking to him about it- the bartender said- let me see your watches. I took off of Longines Hydroconquest USA and the bartender said he liked mine better. The Rolex owner was not amused. Lol

Apart from the sentiment loss (as it was a gift), I could not have been happier when my Rolex was stolen and i got the insurance money for it. Terrible piece of timekeeping equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think now more than ever they are very accurate

https://howtospendit.ft.com/...ew-quality-standards

It's a really interesting article

I've a old, 25 years Rolex, been serviced once, I never adjust the time

I had a omega that leaked the first time I went diving with it

I think given the choice, I'd go for a smaller brand, Patek or JLC than the mass produced ones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
Rolex Milgaus

Lol. You wouldn’t believe the amount of magnetic fields I have to work in :)

And yeah, I do love the watch - also for a Rolex it’s a bit less mainstream. Next stop: Sea Dweller for all the times I’m at extreme depth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You definitely will want the deep sea then. I've an original DS and I'm at 4000 feet all the time and it's just completely inadequate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a Patek Philippe watch, closely followed by a katana.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
jharris wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
Rolex Milgaus

And yeah, I do love the watch - also for a Rolex it’s a bit less mainstream. Next stop: Sea Dweller for all the times I’m at extreme depth.

I bought a Cholex (I call it that)- Chinese Rolex fake while in Hong Kong. Perfect copy of the deep sea dweller. So damn top heavy- I do not like it.
Last edited by: jharris: May 7, 19 19:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from Turks and Caicos this weekend and a guy who we were talking to had a gold Rolex Submariner. I’m not a gold watch lover, to each his own. As I was talking to him about it- the bartender said- let me see your watches. I took off of Longines Hydroconquest USA and the bartender said he liked mine better. The Rolex owner was not amused. Lol[/quote]

And yeah, I do love the watch - also for a Rolex it’s a bit less mainstream. Next stop: Sea Dweller for all the times I’m at extreme depth.[/quote]

I bought a Cholex (I call it that)- Chinese Rolex fake while in Hong Kong. Perfect copy of the deep sea dweller. So damn too heavy- I do not like it.[/quote]

Aren't Rolex suppose to be heavy?
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]Aren't Rolex suppose to be heavy?[/quote]
A quality watch usually has some weight to it.

It’s top heavy. The height of the watch case is just thick. Can’t fit under a long sleeve shirt cuff either. If you wear a watch more like a bracelet, a bit loose, like me- the damn thing just flops over and sits at the side of your wrist.

I should point out I have never had one compliment wearing it. Not that I buy a watch for that reason, but it obviously doesn’t seem to impress. To each his own.

One of my favorite watches is Lum-Tec. Everyday military type style watches with limited batch production. You can’t go wrong with a Tissot either. Love that thing and takes a a beating. Doesn’t break the bank either.

I bought a Cholex and a couple Chomega’s. Just don’t love em. I dunno. Maybe I’m just not mainstream. I bought them before shelling out the “real dough” hoping I would really like the style, but it didn’t grow on me. I really wanted to get a moon watch and when at the store with it on my wrist, I just could not do it. I wasn’t excited about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Cholex (I call it that)- Chinese Rolex fake while in Hong Kong. Perfect copy of the deep sea dweller. So damn too heavy- I do not like it.[/quote]

I was given a fake Rolex watch once and it was also a perfect copy as well but I didn't know that. It was very heavy, and when I went to couple of dealers I was told its not a real one. I have an older Omega Constellation watch from the time I got married. I like that watch, but I don't wear a watch at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Most expensive tangible thing you've bought [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:

And yeah, I do love the watch - also for a Rolex it’s a bit less mainstream. Next stop: Sea Dweller for all the times I’m at extreme depth.[/quote]

Aren't Rolex suppose to be heavy?[/quote]

https://www.sothebys.com/...ellow-gold?locale=en

This Patek is up for auction In a week and I think it is the nicest dress watch. It is a manual but who care if it is a dress watch. If I were to buy a Rolex I would buy the explorer oyster perpetual. I love the white face on that thing. Most Rolex are clunky and ugly IMHO. For everyday my seiko presage is as nice as anything else I think.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jul 3, 19 5:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Various watches, I started a collection.

Home theatre/ stereo gear. B&K preamp and amp and Dynaudio speakers, not to mention the other components, etc. it’s an older setup, but frankly I think still great.

Snap on tools. It started small, but I kept buying tools and not watching the cost. The tools are just really well made and work great. I started buying them to work on cars that I began to collect as I attempted more major repairs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next