Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roadies who snub running [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relax dude. Embellishment to make a point is a thing. Fact--there are some really fast bike racers that don't look the part. Kudos to them because that doesn't come naturally. But a draft pack is an equalizer. Notice I said some, not all.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Relax dude. Embellishment to make a point is a thing. Fact--there are some really fast bike racers that don't look the part.

They are known as time trialists. I have thrown down at some of the weekly TTs and at warm up thought it would be a breeze destroying all the fat slobs I saw in the parking lot. Needless to say, I was humiliated by several guys that look like they eat cookie dough for breakfast but can hold 420 watts in the aero position for 50 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My observation -- because relatively and comparatively speaking, running compared to cycling can suck. Most apparent when covering the same ground cycling vs. running. e.g. There's a 3 mile loop near me - miles and multiple loops can go by smoothly on the bike. But when you run that same 3 mile loop, things like "Damn, I can't believe I've only gone a mile, huff-puff", come to mind.

Reminds me of this exchange about IM ...

Wife, "So, what do you think about while you're out there on the bike for hours"?
Me, "I think how nice it would be to be out on the run course already".
Wife, "Then what do you think about while running?"
Me, "That I wish I was on a bike".

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely see some of stronger TT guys being bigger guys, but haven't noticed lots of the cookie dough folks doing well in this discipline. In Upstate NY, the stronger TT guys are heavier than the average rider (usually taller too). And I always wish I was on my bike when I'm running.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Oh, and if you've never gone so hard in a bike race that you couldn't sit right afterwards.........you're not doing it right. My last road race, I couldn't even sit right in the car seat to drive home. I was wincing the entire hour drive home.
Last edited by: burnthesheep: May 6, 19 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. They hurt.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came from a competitive running background and turned to bike racing due to cartilage issues in one of my knees. I thought my running fitness would turn immediately into race results on the bike...HA! That was a huge wake-up call. I used to kind of make fun of cyclists as the people who couldn't cut it running. Not necessarily. Thankfully, several of my collegiate running friends had made the transition and helped point me in the right direction. I joined a cycling team that was very open to new members and focused on developing racers. This atmosphere was very different than other teams that had that snobby "we're better than you" attitude.

While "discovering" bike races, I learned crits weren't my thing and TTs were much closer to the mentality I would use in the 5000m. For the most part, the TT scene wasn't snobby at all and very family like. I noticed that many of the crits were filled with many not very fit middle-aged guys who still thought they were "all that", just liked going fast, and were hell bent on sprinting for 19th place (with complete disregard to the safety of the riders around them).

Regarding the "roadies who snub running", I've been shocked over the years by how many triathletes are complete self-absorbed a-holes. Yes, you get those folks in running and a lot more in cycling, but it seems to be (at least in my perception) greater with tris. BTW, don't get me started on the number of male cyclists/triathletes who extoll the benefits of HRT...[rolling eyes].

So, what I have I learned...find the people you gel with in running, cycling, and/or tris. There are groups I'll ride/run with and those I won't. I prefer the groups that are supportive, focused on improvement, and tend to shun "elitist a-holes". This is especially true for group rides. It amazes me that in 2019, we still have guys that can't stand women being in the lead A-group (despite the fact they are way better than they are). Yes, everyone has an ego, but please check it at the door when you're with others. You can stare at yourself in the mirror all you want when you get home.

Just my perspective.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next